shift work

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kiserkm

by kiserkm

Alright.. I have a major problem that I have been dealing with for the past year since I got assigned to this job. I work sift work which usually consists of a 8 day rotating shift schedule. It looks like this Days(0530-1330)/Days/Eves(1330-2130)/Eves/Mids(2130-0530)/Mids(then OFF, OFF) and it restarts. Now, many of you can imagine how little and bad quality of sleep that I get after the midnight shift.

My question is how would shifting to a midnight shift for an extended time (say 4 months) affect my sleep? Would I get better sleep after the initial two weeks because my circadian rhythm would adjust to sleeping in the morning? I have done this before but only for a month. It takes me about 14 days to adjust, but after that I dont have insomnia and I can actually sleep. Does anyone know if sleeping in the morning can become the norm?

thanks,
Kyle

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Just wish to clarify before answering - you say "switching to a midnight shift", does that mean every time you work will be a midnight shift or do you mean the mixed days, afternoons, etc that you detailed?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

kiserkm

by kiserkm

every night i will be midnight shift i.e. 6 days of midnight shift, 2 days off. I would still stay up during the night on my days off and sleep in the morning to keep everything the same.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Working shifts myself I can empathise, however mine are not scheduled so you are at an advantage (so to speak). Routine is the key for re-aligning circadian rhythms. For sleep try to eliminate as much light in the room as possible, eye mask could be a good option. As are ear plugs. When you wake up (if viable) get out in the sun. Not only will this give the nessecary vit D hit it will help get the rhythms in sync and going for the rest of the "day".

I've found that anything above zone 1 after a night shift in the actual morning a big ask. Usually it was around the 5-7pm was my preference.

It will take time to adjust. Initially light exercise will help you, then you should be able to ramp it up.

Routine!
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

kiserkm

by kiserkm

so is becoming a nocturnal human better than shifting work? I am able to adjust the schedule.

dustbin

by dustbin

I can't comment on how this would affect you short term as I have no experience, but I have a friend who races master's and has been working a night shift (I believe 10pm-6am, Mon-Fri) for like 20 years! He put up thick sheets over his windows and wears an eye mask to make the room as blacked-out as possible. Most of the time he trains right after he gets off of work, but it does seem to lessen the amount of sleep he can get due to how he has to schedule his day (he sleeps 6 hours a day)... but he is a beast and seems to do well on this schedule.

I think you'll adjust but I wouldn't try to make it a permanent change :wink: But I'd say doing it for 4 months would be better than 1 month as you're not constantly readjusting. Just pick the time time frame (early morning) that you want to make your sleep time and make it your routine.

barry78

by barry78

I work a rotating shift of 12 hour shifts, i work 1 month of days and then 1 month of nights, i think everyone is differnet it takes me only one day to get my sleep pattern adjusted but then im working this shift pattern 7 years

Black out blinds are a must, i sleep sometimes in the back bedroom which is bit quiter

As for training i find i get better training done when im on night shift because i can train before work when im fresher, i ve also got better race results when i ve been working nights, this could be just coincidence. Somtimes during the summer after a night shift i ll get an hour in right away after work before everyone else wakes up, the home balance doesnt get upset if im training when everyone else is alseep, you can work the night shift to you advanage if you play it right

kiserkm

by kiserkm

Thanks for all of the replies. I will put myself on the midnight shift for an extended period and see how it goes. It has to be better than always changing the time that I sleep. The first two weeks are always super hard and i will have insomnia guaranteed.

I have blackout blinds but will also get a mask or something to put over my eyes.

barry78

by barry78

One more point dont eat too much !! Every one i work with and myself all find out the hard way haha we too much on night shifts, i still cant expalin it but im always feeling hungrier doing the ghoster

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

And ear plugs and/or noise cancelling headphones are a blessing.