Powerprofiles

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Rubik
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

by Rubik

Tinea Pedis wrote:Why do you feel that would matter?


Indoor power is typically lower than outdoor power.

Kickr is typically higher than a power meter.

Those numbers are pretty astronomical.

Multiple reasons.
Cat 1

User avatar
Tinea Pedis
Posts: 8460
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am
Location: Geelong
Contact:

by Tinea Pedis

Power is power, indoors or not. Anyone half way experienced at riding indoors (as a rider with that sort of output would suggest) would be capable of producing close to the same inside and out.

Regardless, the power meter part (and the numbers) - as long time reads of this thread will know - are a nonstarter. From day dot most posters in this thread have been 'exceptional' to the point of wondering why pro tour teams are not simply signing riders straight from here.

by Weenie


User avatar
mrgray
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:56 am

by mrgray

i guess it is like d*** pics. if it's impressive, you let people know. if not then you keep shtoom about it.

masochists who wish to alert others to their purchase of expensive power meters despite utterly mediocre capacity are few and far between.

what i find remarkable is the combination of very good power with very low weight. there are certainly some world beaters on here. we should start a VO2 max thread.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

djcharlou
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 pm

by djcharlou

Again Rubik my numbers comes from a Quarq powermeter, i'm using my kickr as resistance only, not power reading.
I train almost everytime indoor and when I go outside it feels easier so we are all different.

mrgray - love the comparative !

Rubik
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

by Rubik

Tinea Pedis wrote:Power is power, indoors or not. Anyone half way experienced at riding indoors (as a rider with that sort of output would suggest) would be capable of producing close to the same inside and out.

Regardless, the power meter part (and the numbers) - as long time reads of this thread will know - are a nonstarter. From day dot most posters in this thread have been 'exceptional' to the point of wondering why pro tour teams are not simply signing riders straight from here.


I don't really know what your point is. A nonstarter to what?

It was a simple question. I was wondering, that's all.

Power doesn't mean sh*t in actual bike racing until it does. But the physiological aspect of riding a bike is still interesting, even outside of that.
Cat 1

User avatar
Tinea Pedis
Posts: 8460
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am
Location: Geelong
Contact:

by Tinea Pedis

Regardless of the measurement device numbers on here are inflated. Hence actual power meter used is a non starter.

And of course it doesn't mean shit until racing, but that's not the matter at hand here. You asked if he'd done one outside, my counter was that power is power. Mentioning racing is a strawman.

Rubik
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

by Rubik

Tinea Pedis wrote:Regardless of the measurement device numbers on here are inflated. Hence actual power meter used is a non starter.

And of course it doesn't mean shit until racing, but that's not the matter at hand here. You asked if he'd done one outside, my counter was that power is power. Mentioning racing is a strawman.



Oh, gotcha. You're like a master debater and am trying to call out some feigned fallacy because you think it helps you win your imagined debate.

Yet you miss my entire point (simply a matter of peraonal curiosity which has nothing to do with you) to begin with, and are creating an argument where one did not exist prior.

So...good job?
Cat 1

User avatar
Tinea Pedis
Posts: 8460
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am
Location: Geelong
Contact:

by Tinea Pedis

Given I actually put my name to my posts I've no interest in trolling. My initial question was based off some thought that as a Cat 1 you might have gleaned some sort of knowledge that would run contrary to my own (both experiences and knowledge from friends in sports science). Instead here you are. You made a public comment on a public forum - and now get condescending when asked about it. So...good job?

If you want a two-way conversation that's what the direct message feature is for. Otherwise comments are open for interaction (you know, the primary function of a forum).

Rubik
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

by Rubik

Tinea Pedis wrote:Given I actually put my name to my posts I've no interest in trolling. My initial question was based off some thought that as a Cat 1 you might have gleaned some sort of knowledge that would run contrary to my own (both experiences and knowledge from friends in sports science). Instead here you are. You made a public comment on a public forum - and now get condescending when asked about it. So...good job?

If you want a two-way conversation that's what the direct message feature is for. Otherwise comments are open for interaction (you know, the primary function of a forum).


I don't even know what you're going on about at this point. Your initial question was answered. You then took off an irrelevant tangent in which you made some random assertions that are seemingly based on some arbitrary assumption you made.

So it doesn't quite seem that you know what you're going on about, either, but I assume you'll keep trying.
Cat 1

evan326
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: RVA,USA

by evan326

Just got my first powermeter, realized I'm pretty weak!
Weight 153.4lbs/69.5kg
Peak 1120W/16.14w/kg
5 Sec 1022W/14.72w/kg
1 Min 447W/6.2w/kg
5 Min 270W/3.82w/kg
20 Min 207W/2.97w/kg
60 Min 188W/2.65w/kg

Could anyone point me in the right direction to read up on improving my power?

User avatar
mrgray
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:56 am

by mrgray

hey evan326. nice post! your peak power is ok if you ask me, its the longer ones you want to have a go at.

there is the bible which is hunter & allen ' trainining wiht a power metet' or something. ive got it but it is terribly dull.

are you on a kickr or similar? i'd say some interval training is the way to go.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

evan326
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: RVA,USA

by evan326

I just have my 4iiii and my caad12 for now. I was most surprised at how quickly my numbers drop as time increases.

User avatar
Tinea Pedis
Posts: 8460
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am
Location: Geelong
Contact:

by Tinea Pedis

Your 1 min to 5 does fall away quite sharply. But if you're just getting started then it will certainly improve.

FWIW pros talk about how their 1, 5 and 20 minute powers have not increased 'that' much over the years. However it's their 1, 2 and 3 hour power where the years of riding/racing really show (and improve).

I remember KWalker saying years ago how Danny Pate would go out and do 3 hours at 300w. For training. But that's only possible after years as a professional.

MarkTwain
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 pm

by MarkTwain

Rubik wrote:So it doesn't quite seem that you know what you're going on about, either, but I assume you'll keep trying.

He's only replied to everything posted by yourself, if anyone has no idea it's not TP.

You really need to eat a Snickers and learn the basics of online interaction. Hint: people may ask for expansion on points you make. No need to lose you rag.

Rubik
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

by Rubik

MarkTwain wrote:
Rubik wrote:So it doesn't quite seem that you know what you're going on about, either, but I assume you'll keep trying.

He's only replied to everything posted by yourself, if anyone has no idea it's not TP.

You really need to eat a Snickers and learn the basics of online interaction. Hint: people may ask for expansion on points you make. No need to lose you rag.


Your first sentence makes little sense. The entire point of my responses to him was in regards to the initial extent of my first post to someone else. For some inexplicable reason he felt compelled to dive right in to a topic which I was not discussing.

People may ask for expansion of points and they may get them. Then they may make random and erroneous assertions and have that pointed out.

No need to jump into the middle of something you're not quite sure about. Hope that clears that up for you, though.
Cat 1

by Weenie


Post Reply