Powerprofiles

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rubik

by Rubik

Tinea Pedis wrote:I remember KWalker saying years ago how Danny Pate would go out and do 3 hours at 300w. For training. But that's only possible after years as a professional.

Or a couple of seasons of simply trying to ride for longer and longer at 300w/whatever watts.

I'd imagine he can do far more than that as I did that this winter (at his reported weight) and have never been close to being a professional.

Interestingly enough it didn't seem to help a bit in actual race circumstances, or even to close out a typical road race. Specificity is an interesting thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

that's an interesting insight TP that i was completely unaware of. in fact i had been getting disgruntled about the lack of movement in my 1 min, 5 min etc. but at the same time i had been riding at levels of power output for durations of time that i found pleasantly surprising.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Rubik

by Rubik

mrgray wrote:that's an interesting insight TP that i was completely unaware of. in fact i had been getting disgruntled about the lack of movement in my 1 min, 5 min etc. but at the same time i had been riding at levels of power output for durations of time that i found pleasantly surprising.

Extensive training: increase the amount of time at a given wattage.
Intensive training: increase the amount of wattage at a given time.

Both excellent to include in a program, generally extensive first to "push", then intensive to "pull". I always find intensive a bit more mentally taxing.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Rubik wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
Rubik wrote:So it doesn't quite seem that you know what you're going on about, either, but I assume you'll keep trying.

He's only replied to everything posted by yourself, if anyone has no idea it's not TP.

You really need to eat a Snickers and learn the basics of online interaction. Hint: people may ask for expansion on points you make. No need to lose you rag.

Your first sentence makes little sense. The entire point of my responses to him was in regards to the initial extent of my first post to someone else. For some inexplicable reason he felt compelled to dive right in to a topic which I was not discussing.

People may ask for expansion of points and they may get them. Then they may make random and erroneous assertions and have that pointed out.

No need to jump into the middle of something you're not quite sure about. Hope that clears that up for you, though.

And my point proven.

Bravo.

Rubik

by Rubik

MarkTwain wrote:And my point proven.

Bravo.

Ah, goody. Well, maybe you'll figure it out some day.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Had a go at some 1 min efforts, not too bad:

1 min - 699w (7.94w/kg) 855w/kg (9.72w/kg)
30" - 921w (10.47w/kg) 1,150w (13.07w/kg)
15" - 1,233w (14.01w/kg) 1,346w (15.3w/kg)
5" - 1,592w (18.10w/kg) No change
Peak - 1,686w (19.16w/kg) No change
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Rubik wrote:Interestingly enough it didn't seem to help a bit in actual race circumstances, or even to close out a typical road race. Specificity is an interesting thing.

This was when he was a Sky domestique, which he did well. Specificity indeed.

mrgray wrote:that's an interesting insight TP that i was completely unaware of. in fact i had been getting disgruntled about the lack of movement in my 1 min, 5 min etc. but at the same time i had been riding at levels of power output for durations of time that i found pleasantly surprising.

A few years ago I started looked at the ratio of what power I could hold for 30, 45, 60 and 120 minutes compared to my peak 20 power. Sure enough, the longer I've ridden and raced for the more that gap has narrowed. All this before hearing those anecdotes from the pros.

My 'issue' now is I cannot seem to push through my FTP ceiling much more.

jkreger15

by jkreger15

I just recently got a power meter and I have been using it mostly in mtb races so I have some high short efforts, but the longer sustained ones aren't where I think they can be yet. I need to do another FTP test sometime soon I weigh 134 lbs (61 kg).

5 sec - 20.82 W/kg
1 min - 10.08 W/kg
5 min - 6.20 W/kg
FTP - 4.21 W/kg

My proudest power data point is in a long endurance ride where I did 3.56 W/kg for 4 hours.

emcardle

by emcardle

jkreger15 wrote:5 sec - 20.82 W/kg

Impressive!

Connor

by Connor

I've been riding seriously for just over a year focusing mainly on cross and collegiate road racing. Here's what I've got at 60 kg

5 min - 400w
10 min - 340 w
20 min- 300 w

haven't really tested any short power. just got a power meter a couple weeks ago for indoor training.

quadzilla

by quadzilla

byron505 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 6:45 pm
Nice, lots of good numbers here.

Been feeling pretty good recently and i think everything is coming together nicely. No structured riding since last July.
Just top 10'd a local hill that was a 2017 goal. Guess its time to aim for top 5 before i leave for a honeymoon next week.

5 sec: 14.71 @ 1096
1 min: 9.99 @ 744
5 min: 6.27 @ 467
20 min: 5.02 @ 374

not a racer. just really happy to have fitness that doesn't restrict my riding.
Lmao thought weightweenies was just a bunch of people from england. Didn't know norcal people were on it. Now I know why roasters is so painful

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

More sprint training and down to 86.6kg:

1 min - 855w/kg (9.72w/kg) No change
30" - 1,150w (13.07w/kg) No change
15" - 1,346w (15.3w/kg) No change
10” - 1,543w (17.81w/kg)
5" - 1,592w (18.10w/kg) 1,671w (19.30w/kg)
Peak - 1,686w (19.16w/kg) 1,795w (20.72w/kg)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

anyone else breaking through power number's zwift racing? these things are deadly

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Tinea Pedis wrote:Your 1 min to 5 does fall away quite sharply. But if you're just getting started then it will certainly improve.

FWIW pros talk about how their 1, 5 and 20 minute powers have not increased 'that' much over the years. However it's their 1, 2 and 3 hour power where the years of riding/racing really show (and improve).

I remember KWalker saying years ago how Danny Pate would go out and do 3 hours at 300w. For training. But that's only possible after years as a professional.
It’s also the ability to hit those 5’ numbers for example 10x in a race rather than once.

There was an article with JV talking about Dylan Van Baarle (can’t find it) and why he’s so good. His peak numbers look even just ok vs some US domestic pros but the difference is he can hit them time and again even after 5 hours of racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoo

by Stoo

Tinea Pedis wrote:Your 1 min to 5 does fall away quite sharply. But if you're just getting started then it will certainly improve.

FWIW pros talk about how their 1, 5 and 20 minute powers have not increased 'that' much over the years. However it's their 1, 2 and 3 hour power where the years of riding/racing really show (and improve).

I remember KWalker saying years ago how Danny Pate would go out and do 3 hours at 300w. For training. But that's only possible after years as a professional.
Sunday just gone I was supposed to be racing but it was cancelled.

So I went out and did a tempo ride for a few hours instead :)

I don’t know what’s changed but recently my numbers have JUMPED!
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com