Powerprofiles

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

adgem1

by adgem1

5.84 5 min
4.64 20 min

140lb ,need to work on ftp I think ,will do a proper test this week ,quite happy with that off 1 cx race a week and 1 set of intervals :thumbup:
Scott spark LTD,Kinesis -crosslight PRO 5,kinesis evo,TK,Orbea alma,Canyon Ultimate cf

toiyuet

by toiyuet

5 sec: not test
1 min: not test
5 min: 4.446 W/kg
20 min: 4.09 W/kg

I was ONCE a Hong Kong national XC team athlete 11 years ago, I was 35 then.
I will be 47 next Feb.
Last edited by toiyuet on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I'm a little curious, do most of you set your peak power during training or races?

My personal experience is that I tend to set records during training, but am able to hit numbers (95-97% of peak value) more consistently and repeatedly during races.

barry78

by barry78

I only ever got peak records on the 1min and 5min intervals from racing, everything else came from training
Last thing i wana do is set a new 20min peak power in a race and have everyone in my wheel, then come around me in the last 5km

micky

by micky

The numbers showed in this topic by you guys makes me look pathetic! :lol:

KWalker

by KWalker

you just have to remember the internet inflation factor of 10%

a lot of these numbers are good enough to be domestic pros, certainly top regional talent, but there's only one domestic pro actually posting in the thread. One thing I learned from the few people I've helped with training so far is that their tests always fall short of the bests they claimed before, which is often because they didn't do the proper pre-20 min test protocol that Allen prescribes and assume that their 20 min is really 95% of FTP when its often only 87% to 90%
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I would never disagree with the "Internet Inflation Factor" however I have seen some very "ordinary" cyclists rip out some very impressive numbers. Quite often they seem be ex-"other sports" people. I saw the data of one guy who casually ripped out a 16km TT (in the lab) at 350 watts.

So I won't immediately say all data is inflated, there are some gifted specimens out there (who train hard).

Bastards. :D
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

And to add to the data. From my 40km TT on the weekend (first one in two years!) and some sprint training earlier in the week:-

Weight: 84kgs
FTP: 236 - 2.8w/kg
5 min: 251 2.9w/kg
5 sec: 1340 15.9w/kg

Mainly working on the last one, it's taken the biggest hit over the last 2 years. Used to be close to the magic 20w/kgs :(
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Rob81

by Rob81

KWalker wrote:you just have to remember the internet inflation factor of 10%

that's why a full CP curve (which iI analyze weekly with my clients) is a no doubt ;)

mrlobber

by mrlobber

My non-inflated :D numbers (tested on turbo, except 1min) are
20min 3.75 W/kg
5min 4.65 W/kg
1min 7.43 W/kg

which seem to correspond pretty well to CP model output except that 1m figure is a little lower than predicted (which is understandable since this number comes from last summer and hasn't been specifically trained since).

Races from 2011 have more or less confirmed both 20min as well as 5min number (+/-5W)

Given the fact that in local races in my country, which is as small as it is, there are always some competing domestic semi-pros and pros, with the numbers I have I can only hope to sit in the group (although there have been notable improvements in the easiness of sitting there) :lol: :lol:
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

KWalker

by KWalker

Tapeworm wrote:I would never disagree with the "Internet Inflation Factor" however I have seen some very "ordinary" cyclists rip out some very impressive numbers. Quite often they seem be ex-"other sports" people. I saw the data of one guy who casually ripped out a 16km TT (in the lab) at 350 watts.

So I won't immediately say all data is inflated, there are some gifted specimens out there (who train hard).

Bastards. :D

Yah, I've seen one of those recently too- dude comes out of nowhere and rips out a 400watt 20 minute 'feeling tired'. Ran track in high school and college, makes me wish I would've actually played a sport growing up.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

devinci

by devinci

ahah same for me, instead of playing a load of different sports and some marginal one, namely, skateboarding :shock:

KWalker

by KWalker

Might as well post my shit, pulled from my current MMP curve

20 min.- 4.81 w/kg
FTP- 4.4 w/kg
5 min. from last year- 5.6 w/kg
1 min. from last year- 9.6 w/kg
5s from last year- 16 w/kg

I'm actually a really bad sprinter and I'm unsure if that 5s is accurate because it was from one of my Quarq's that crapped out on me. I've always had a pursuiter profile, but I've been doing a lot of base, SST, and FTP stuff recently and have yet to test again so hopefully it rises. Best FTP of last season was 4.6 w/kg and I'd like to improve upon that and manage a 5 w/kg 20 min. at some point.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

LouisN

by LouisN

Stupid question here guys:

To find your power/weight, you just divide your avg. power for a period by your body weight ?

Sorry ... :oops: :oops:

Louis :)

devinci

by devinci

yes, average power for 20-5-1min and 5 sec if you want. Divide by body weight in kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com