Powerprofiles

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kaptanpedal

by kaptanpedal

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:08 pm
Just did the final FTP test of the year. Very pleased with the result.
379W for 20min -> 360W FTP @ 70.7kg -> almost 5.1 W/kg.
168bpm average and 175bpm peak (which is the highest heart rate I have reached all year).
For this being on an indoor trainer, I am quite pleased.
Also, 451W for 4:25 min (meant to do 4min max, but had under paced it) last week (outdoors), which is a PB for me.
Personally I would not put my ftp above 350w with that 20m value.
Unless there are other longer duration tests or If you have done a blow out effort before the test.
Holding a high % of 20m test at threshold requires a big training base hence mostly a pro thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

My real FTP is likely around 350W. I am not Training for 1hr TT, so it doesn't really matter that much.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

kaptanpedal

by kaptanpedal

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:20 pm
My real FTP is likely around 350W. I am not Training for 1hr TT, so it doesn't really matter that much.
If it comes to that there is no threshold anyway.
All these values listed in profiles come with a duration so should ftp (tte).

RyanH

by RyanH

Moving this conversation to a relevant place:
OnTheRivet wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:54 am

"I was probably around 4.8/4.9wpk FTP"

And this is the issue. Guessing is not the same as doing an FTP test. If you were making those numbers you could literally head out to ANY road race in the US and be a player in the Pro 1-2 field.
I have friends who coach and I know what it takes to win a Masters National road race title (they have coached them) and apparently there are potential National champions all over this forum, it's amazing.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
RyanH was legitimately around 4.9w/kg in 2018-2019, IIRC. As was I at the end of 2020, but I had to get down to 60kg to do it.

You must be a heavier dude, because yes someone who is 80kg and 5.0w/kg is pretty beastly. He’d still likely lose Berkeley Hills, Pescadero, Mt. Hamilton, etc. Someone 70-75kg with 5.0w/kg would be at the pointy end of any flat or rolling RR. Someone 60kg and 5w/kg would pack finish a flat RR and be hanging on for dear life in a rolling RR…and dropped on any RR with real climbs.

And by coincidence, someone who is ~81kg with a 400W FT rode 60mi to Alviso today, won it, and rode 60mi home. He is a cat 3 on the road (because he just started racing road this year.)

Also FTP doesn’t mean what you probably think it means. In technical terms it’s riding at MLSS to TTE. TTE could be 70min…it could be 35min.
@OnTheRivet Here's the thing, when you aren't doing formal training anymore but have for 7 seasons prior, you get pretty good at estimating where you are based on certain performances. This isn't a best example of where I was but I'm not going to spend an hour digging through my ride history to prove a point. In the below ride, I did a flat TT, had to dismount the bike early climb to get around a gate and navigate a slightly sketchy downhill section and I still averaged 342w for almost 19 minutes with the last 13 being at 350 avg:

https://strava.app.link/AccquBaRrlb

I also did a hill climb club race that year and we averaged a tad over 350w for part of the 21 min climb but since it was a race, it wasn't all out. I was still talking doing that effort. I need to double check the file but I recall I ramped it up to what I felt was closer to threshold and we were doing mid 360s for awhile before my team mate told me to pull back.

I know these numbers seem wild to you but they're relatively pedestrian in California where people train and ride all year around. Don't get me wrong, when I was hitting those numbers I used to smash the group rides but put me in a race and it was a whole other story. FTP isn't race success.

Hell, FTP doesn't mean much on its own at all. Take my riding indoors for the last two years, I was riding around 4 to 5 hours a week and my FTP was around 4.5 to 4.6 but put me on a 60 mile group ride and I was useless. These are SRM recorded numbers I was hitting on minimal hours (Tobin made my numbers look like child's play):

Coolcat

by Coolcat

RyanH wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:18 pm
Hell, FTP doesn't mean much on its own at all. Take my riding indoors for the last two years, I was riding around 4 to 5 hours a week and my FTP was around 4.5 to 4.6 but put me on a 60 mile group ride and I was useless.
When you say 4.5 to 4.6 W/kg FTP...for how long? Could you do 4.5 W/kg for an hour but still be useless on 60 mile rides?

RyanH

by RyanH

FTP means what you can hold for an hour. That screenshot above are races between 45 and 75 minutes.

From my experience, if all your training is an hour or less, and particularly if it's all indoors, you don't have the endurance to recover from efforts so you're a one effort pony and toast after that. Now, part of that may be underdeveloped muscles that don't get targeted from indoor riding. But, in 2018/2019 when I was riding close to 10k miles per year, doing repeated efforts at or near FTP throughout an 80 mile ride wasn't a problem. My suspicion is that is one place there isn't a substitute for volume.

Coolcat

by Coolcat

Thanks for the clarification. The duration isn't visible in the screenshot. I agree, volume is needed. High volume seems to be essential for repeatability.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Our club has been about touring for the most part so we dont put on a race as we are not a race club but we do this learn to ride and one of the guys that came through this had some really big cardio for a small guy. We did have a elite ride once a week which was maybe around 4w/kg, I know thats as good as it gets in our club and not many participated. Anyway this guy thought we were just doing tempo cause I am pretty sure he could easily do 5w. So he purchased a PM and he is a quick study so learned how to read the numbers and train. We convinced him to go to a couple of the bigger cities for race training but he liked the TT stuff moreso than bar to bar crits and RR.
He decided to go to the 2016 UCI GFWS Amateur TT World Championships and got himself a 3rd. Figures he was running about 5.5w so when we were riding our butts off he was just cruzing. The point of all this is that many ppl that can run at 5w may not realize it until they start with the PM or race training with ppl they know are fast. In our club most of the members would be lucky to get much over 3w but I do know ppl that race/race train that can do 4-5w regularly. 5w in our area is not the norm.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake