Time crunched training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

mrgray wrote:when you say decoupling do you mean a HR which won't rise, despite one feeling like they are well and truly on the ragged edge?
Listen to Fast Talk, ep. 4: The myth of the useless heart rate monitor by VeloNews #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-562497687/f ... te-monitor

There is another one I'll find tomorrow

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Listen to Fast Talk, ep. 19: Training as a numbers game by VeloNews #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-562497687/f ... -your-ride

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

mrgray

by mrgray

thanks i will have a look
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

AJS914

by AJS914

I was reading this topic and looking at the plan tapeworm sketched out:
Day 1: [4x30sec efforts ON/30 sec off] x 2, minimum 10mins recovery.
Day 2: 2x20min efforts at TT pace, minimum 10mins recovery in between.
Day 3: Long very easy ride.
Day 4: 5x5mins @ TT pace +5-10%, 1 mins rest between efforts.
Day 5: Long easy ride (plus 4x sprints if you need it).
Day 6: Very long ride (~4hrs)
Day 7: Rest

BTW, I'm also reading Carmichael's Time Crunched book for ideas.

Basically, I have almost unlimited time to train but I really don't want to be on the bike that much. The 6-8 hours is perfect. I might hit 9 or 10 hours on some big weeks in the summer.

Anyway, my question is whether people find they recover enough to train 6 days a week. I edged towards burnout late this summer after my riding time and intensity ramped up. I'm also 52 years old and don't have the same energy that I did when 25. I don't race anymore but I do a fast paced group ride every weekend .

I was thinking that if I'm going to typically ride 100-150 miles per week, it would be better to do it over 3 or 4 days with full days of rest in between rather than doing shorter rides over 5-6 days. What do people think? My weekend group ride is around 45 miles in the winter and 50-60 in the summer.

crazy brit

by crazy brit

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:45 pm
I was reading this topic and looking at the plan tapeworm sketched out:
Day 1: [4x30sec efforts ON/30 sec off] x 2, minimum 10mins recovery.
Day 2: 2x20min efforts at TT pace, minimum 10mins recovery in between.
Day 3: Long very easy ride.
Day 4: 5x5mins @ TT pace +5-10%, 1 mins rest between efforts.
Day 5: Long easy ride (plus 4x sprints if you need it).
Day 6: Very long ride (~4hrs)
Day 7: Rest

BTW, I'm also reading Carmichael's Time Crunched book for ideas.

Basically, I have almost unlimited time to train but I really don't want to be on the bike that much. The 6-8 hours is perfect. I might hit 9 or 10 hours on some big weeks in the summer.

Anyway, my question is whether people find they recover enough to train 6 days a week. I edged towards burnout late this summer after my riding time and intensity ramped up. I'm also 52 years old and don't have the same energy that I did when 25. I don't race anymore but I do a fast paced group ride every weekend .

I was thinking that if I'm going to typically ride 100-150 miles per week, it would be better to do it over 3 or 4 days with full days of rest in between rather than doing shorter rides over 5-6 days. What do people think? My weekend group ride is around 45 miles in the winter and 50-60 in the summer.
I'm in a similar boat (45, maybe around 6-8 hrs/week available to train). I know myself well enough by now that 6 days a week is just no go from a recovery perspective, for me, YMMV. I find 3-4 times a week on the bike is perfect, it allows me to get quality workouts in and adequate recovery. On rest days I may/may not do some light running or core work to complement the on-bike training but nothing hard. This winter/spring i'm trying a program based loosely around the British Cycling program that's available online which seems to fit this bill nicely.