Moderator: Moderator Team
So Tip of saddle to stem - 56.3 cm
C of front hub to top of bars - 58 cm
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
What do you think? I feel much better
1. Saddle was too low. You've addressed that.
2. Your pedaling action is a bit odd. In Photo 1 you are toe down at about 2 pm. That's usually caused by not engaging your glutes and relying on your soleus muscle to get the pedal stroke going. It's not efficient, not powerful, and ultimately gives you tendon problems. This isn't necessarily a fit problem, but it affects your fit. Do some one-legged squats (no weights, with the other leg completely off the ground and unsupported; no support with your hands either) and you'll probably feel very unstable because your hips aren't engaged. And when you're in this situation, you tend to ride farther back because you want to use your quads for all your leg power, which in turn causes you to lose flexibility in your legs and alter the quality of your fit.
3. You're riding typically with almost locked elbows. I actually think you're a little too stretched out, mostly because your hips are pretty far back. But riding with your elbows locked guarantees that the rest of your fit will be uncomfortable.
4. I notice that you're riding not so much on the shifters and more on the bars right behind them. That's partly because you're shifted far back in the saddle and partly because you're riding so stiff-armed.
5. Your lower back has a lot of curvature. This is a flexibility issue. You need to get more glute and hamstring flexibility since otherwise you have to make it up in your upper torso. That simply compromises your rib cage and limits the volume you have to expand your lungs. You don't have the aerobic capacity you could otherwise have. This isn't strictly a fit issue, but does affect your fit.
6. Somewhat in the same vein about aerobic capacity, you have a little bit of a stomach. The photos aren't clear, but it looks like you can't get much lower on the bike without it compressing your diaphragm against your thighs. Not strictly a fit issue, but again it affects how you fit.
Overall you look like a fit rider and your revised position is pretty good. These are all nits, mostly about your body and not about the bike itself.
I don't really understand what do you mean by locked elbows. I know what you're saying about the shifters but I don't know what to do to stay more on them? Should I get a handlebar with a shorter reach? Something like FSA Compact?
About the back flexibility. I feel pretty flexible. I saw Lance Armstrong had a a curve back and he was riding pretty well I should do some back extensions?
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:25 pm
- Location: Jakarta, Indonesia / The Hague, Holland
I fail to see how one can make such detailed assesments as 11.4 from only a handful of photos. Apart from point 2, i think his observations are beside the mark, frankly.
OP, i'd advice you to get a professional bike fitting and then reproduce the measurements as closely as possible on your frame.
Your elbows are not locked meaning not fully extended in the previous picture.
For your height the best size frames for you would be: 51-54cm
A size 53 cm would be your best bet.
I'm 1.75 and ride a 72.5-8 cm saddle height with time pedals and Shimano shoes. Then 55.5cm saddle tip to bars, which means an 11 or 12cm stem depending on the bars on a Medium Parlee [nice], with 54.5cm top tube and a couple of spacers. I also have a 54 cm Eddy Merckx [smallish] 55cm Colnago [nice] and a 55cm Pinarello [a bit too big but nice to ride].
I don't think your frame size matters all that much as long as the contact points fall in the right place the rest is just about fine tuning the handling and choosing how much toe clip overlap you want.
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 9 Replies
- 1027 Views
Last post by Nazhemie
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 am
- 2 Replies
- 455 Views
Last post by ntb1001
Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:03 pm
- 1 Replies
- 586 Views
Last post by Disc0
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:13 pm
- 32 Replies
- 3896 Views
Last post by otoman
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:50 pm
- 18 Replies
- 1194 Views
Last post by TobinHatesYou
Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 pm