AC joint seperation

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

snips

by snips

i came off my bike over two weeks ago and according to the local a&e doctors at the time i had nothing wrong apart from slight concussion and bad bruising to the shoulder . i have subsequently found out this week that its a type 3 shoulder seperation (so that was why i wasnt sleeping well and i had a huge lump sticking out of my shoulder ).
has any of you suffered this and if so whats your experience for a speedy recovery? i am itching to get back on the bike (road) but am still in some discomfort :(

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I dislocated my AC joint a few years ago.
Not sure what a type 3 is, but my ligament was almost entirely torn.

Was unable to raise my arm and had to keep it still to allow the ligament to repair.

I could ride but couldn't pull on the bars.

gonzo

by gonzo

As far as the type of tear goes, I think a type 1 is the most minor and is just sort of an inconveniance and it gets worse from there.

snips

by snips

this one is a type 3, saw the x-rays on wednesday and my left arm is now 2 inches longer than my right with a noticible step in the shoulder. apparently tyler hamilton had a type 1 when he rode the tour a couple of years back...
i may try a short slow ride tomorrow mainly on the flat and should be starting some physio once the health service here can find me a slot within the next week.
still bloody hurts though (hence being awake at 3pm gmt)!