how many watts per kg can you produce ???

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Eddy
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: Ko Lanta Thailand

by Eddy

Hi there ,

would like to have some ideas about how much watts you can produce per kg of body weight , give size and weight wich categorie you riding
I try to get the" pictures "of how much watts you must produce for racing at different categorie , please give those informations fron experience not reading or others gthanks for the help

JK
Posts: 1057
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:49 pm
Location: The Netherlands - Europe

by JK

Watts/kg for what? At VO2max? Maximum? Even if you know what to look for, testing methods differ a lot, and every test is just a picture of a moment.

Besides that: There is no certain amount of Watts you must produce for racing. Besides Watts/kg (or for flat courses Watts/frontal surface), racing has got to do with tactics, mental ability, plain luck and a lot of other things.

I am sorry, but I think your question will lead you nowhere.

User avatar
jersievers
Posts: 1008
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:39 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA

by jersievers

I dissagree that is an excellent question. There are several charts that reperesent this data created by USA cycling for USCF coaches. Gives ranges for sprint, 5 min and 20 min power. I don't know the chart, I can look for it. I do have a chart somewhere with my results I will look up for you.

The reason I think this is a good question is because you can see if you lost x pounds you would have the power of an x cat racer. Also give some direction towards training, ie, if you have good 20 min power but no sprint. Also do you have all kinds of power but no results, you may need to work on technique or be more agressive.

homegrown
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:57 am
Contact:

by homegrown

I've seen that chart before, if you can find it please post it as I would like to d/l it for future reference. I dont think its that bad of a question, I mean it's kind of cool to see how you compare to others. If I remember right the watts/kg for cat 1/2 or pro was something around like 5.7 ot 6. Could be wrong though...

John979
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:29 pm

by John979

Check this out: http://cyclingpeakssoftware.com/profile.html

Keep in mind this was designed not to compare yourself against others but to determine your relative strengths.
John979

zakeen
Resident Pro
Posts: 1919
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Australia/Czech-Rep.
Contact:

by zakeen

Sorry but your max watt per kg means nothing! Maybe if your a good sprinter!

but a little eg would be, lances max would be about......1300watt for a single second. Zabel would be about...1500watt and he is lighter then Lance. Who is a better rider?

The most important thing is Watt per kg under threshold. which would work out the pace that a rider can do under his/her threshold.

Med test cant be compared to each other unless they are the same test.

Eg some test increase every min, some every 3 min. Some only increase 20 watts per interval and some are 40watts.

good topic to talk about!

User avatar
Cyco
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:49 am

by Cyco

zakeen wrote:but a little eg would be, lances max would be about......1300watt for a single second. Zabel would be about...1500watt and he is lighter then Lance. Who is a better rider?


I know you are closer to the action than I am, but I would suspect that Lance's max would not be that high. I found that most of the pure endurance guys had a max only 20-30% higher than their power at VO2 Max, when reading the AIS testing results.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

zakeen
Resident Pro
Posts: 1919
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Australia/Czech-Rep.
Contact:

by zakeen

Cyco wrote:
zakeen wrote:but a little eg would be, lances max would be about......1300watt for a single second. Zabel would be about...1500watt and he is lighter then Lance. Who is a better rider?


I know you are closer to the action than I am, but I would suspect that Lance's max would not be that high. I found that most of the pure endurance guys had a max only 20-30% higher than their power at VO2 Max, when reading the AIS testing results.


Come to think about it, you are right. There is no way lances max would be that high. But I know Zabels is that high.

PNuT
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:33 pm

by PNuT

when i was tested on king cycle a few years ago

1.83 meters
71.2kg
max min power 442watts
power/weight ratio 6.20watts/kg

Paul_nl
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:35 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

by Paul_nl

Cyco wrote:
zakeen wrote:but a little eg would be, lances max would be about......1300watt for a single second. Zabel would be about...1500watt and he is lighter then Lance. Who is a better rider?


I know you are closer to the action than I am, but I would suspect that Lance's max would not be that high. I found that most of the pure endurance guys had a max only 20-30% higher than their power at VO2 Max, when reading the AIS testing results.


For a single second they must reach much higher. I can get more than 1.000watt for a single second as a tourist that cycles 3 hours a week.

big fellow
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:05 pm

by big fellow

to put a physiologists' perspective on this...

when you ask about "watts per kg" you are referring to their maximal power output at the end of an incremental test, not at the end of a sprint

as zakeen correctly points out the top sprinters can push out massive power outputs but for very brief periods

for example...brad mcgee can hold over 530 watts for 4000m indiv pursuit, about 7.5 w/kg which is massive!

research says that most pros are all above 7 w/kg...and for those of yo uwho have an idea about testing, it's enormous!

User avatar
Cyco
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:49 am

by Cyco

big fellow wrote:to put a physiologists' perspective on this...

when you ask about "watts per kg" you are referring to their maximal power output at the end of an incremental test, not at the end of a sprint

as zakeen correctly points out the top sprinters can push out massive power outputs but for very brief periods

for example...brad mcgee can hold over 530 watts for 4000m indiv pursuit, about 7.5 w/kg which is massive!

research says that most pros are all above 7 w/kg...and for those of yo uwho have an idea about testing, it's enormous


This shows why I have trouble getting up hills now, when fit I was putting out 640w at ~82kg, but now I'm 98kg and would be be no where near that power figure.......
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

big fellow
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:05 pm

by big fellow

you were putting out 640 W??? how and where did you get that figure - was that your peak power output in a test or instantaneous readings from some power measuring device?

Paul_nl
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:35 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

by Paul_nl

big fellow wrote:you were putting out 640 W??? how and where did you get that figure - was that your peak power output in a test or instantaneous readings from some power measuring device?


Cyco was a pro cyclist.

John979
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:29 pm

by John979

Paul_nl wrote:
big fellow wrote:you were putting out 640 W??? how and where did you get that figure - was that your peak power output in a test or instantaneous readings from some power measuring device?


Cyco was a pro cyclist.


What was the MAP during the test and or average max power for 5 minutes. For example, Indurain's MAP was 572 watts as presented in the Padilla paper, the highest ever recorded.
John979

Post Reply