body fat..

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lite pete

by lite pete

I know that bodyfat scales are inaccurate so whats the best way to monitor it,

Also whats a healthy percentage for a 4/3 cat ?

by Weenie

rustychain

by rustychain

Should be in training forum but there is no one best body fat percentage. Biodiversity my friend, we are all different. We as cyclist all want to be 5% for performance but that is a sure recipe for getting sick for most of us and will often be offset by power reductions. Dropping body fat down for the TDF is one thing but don't think that's a healthy percentage year round. Read up on the health risks involved

Calipers are the easy and cheap way to measure with water immersion the gold standard
being honest with your mirror also works :beerchug:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

With the inaccurate body fat scales you can take the average for 3 readings and then just note a change in the previous reading either up or down. So if you are at 20% now and in 4 months you are at 10% then you have definitely made improvements on shedding fat. The amount will alwways fluctuate based on the time of day you take the readings, when you hydrated, when you ate etc.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

devinci

by devinci

Also, you will have a hard time calculating your body fat with caliper if you dont have someone experienced enought to measure it on you with the calipers.

Caliper method need practice before its accurate

BlackTiBob

by BlackTiBob

water immersion is the gold standard.
Health clubs seemed to charge an arm and a leg for that. I happened to get a referral to a guy who worked in phy ed dept at college and did testing on the side (in college pool) for way cheaper.
FYI, his % body fat figure for me was 25% less than Tanika (sp?) body fat scale. The Tanika would still track progress but not be nearly as accurate.

I should go back for treadmill VO2 max test but not sure what the exact value of that is????

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I think dexascan is the most accurate, can even give you a breakdown if bone and muscle density. Not sure where you could get one done or how much. I got one as part of a study at a uni.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Body fat count or body mass index totally pointless for the non pro or even for the pro unless you are a body builder and doing contests. Most of us know we are fat by looking in the mirror. Even then there is not real value you can attach to a category of people. Why should cat 3/4 people need to have a fat percentage of X.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mattr

by mattr

lite pete wrote:I know that bodyfat scales are inaccurate so whats the best way to monitor it
erm, as a 3rd/4th cat, don't bother. If it wobbles in the mirror, you might want to get rid, other than that, ride your bike.

lite pete wrote:Also whats a healthy percentage for a 4/3 cat ?
as long as you aren't getting ill, its a healthy % body fat.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'd argue that BMI, unless used in population related data analysis, is altogether useless.

I think mattr hit the nail on the head though.

0nelove

by 0nelove

I agree with what other posters have said. It's very easy to see riders in the grand tours and think they are that skinny year around- then try to emulate it.

As someone who did exactly that as a young rider, I would strongly advise you to forget any/all notions of BF% as a useful measuring device. Again, as others have said, you'll end up sick, decreasing your performance substantially, and possibly with an eating disorder depending on how obsessive it becomes.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Someone mentioned calipers - from memory, there was a study done about 5 years ago, which showed that even trained professionals don't get accurate and reliable results, and had a large spread of results, even with the same professional performing the test on the same person multiple times.

Calipers and impedence resistance measurements just aren't reliable results.

But what's the point in fussing over it? Don't worry about a healthy body fat percentage, especially if you aren't going ot be using a reliable method, just focus on keeping a healthy weight, and don't stress about the whole thing.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

It's a simple matter of calories in and calories out. The quality of calories, and type of exercise, your overall metabolism and genetics determine your optimal weight and fat percentages. A balance between good food, and good exercise will give you the best results.

mike12345

by mike12345

Hello Lite Pete,
There are some tools to monitor body fat accurately:
1. Skin Calipers
2. Bioelectrical Impedance
3. Hydrostatic Weighing
4. DEXA (Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry)
5. Air-Displacement Plethysmography

basilic

by basilic

Let's remember that the brain is mostly fat

by Weenie

mike131

by mike131

lite pete wrote:I know that bodyfat scales and balance board are inaccurate so whats the best way to monitor it,

Also whats a healthy percentage for a 4/3 cat ?

Hi
Body-fat scales use a technology called bioelectrical impedance to estimate how much body fat you have.
It’s debatable whether you need to know your body fat in the first place. True, body weight can be deceptive because it doesn’t indicate how much is from fat and how much is from muscle. But there’s no widely accepted standard for ideal body fat