The W word... Lets share our ideas

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

What I'm trying to get at is all these targeted sessions and planning, just to turn yourself inside out for half an hour. Seems a lot of effort for little point (or reward).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

devinci wrote:redraggon, your maths are correct.

stella, I think im fairly good at TT for my little experience. The course is ALWAYS windy and it has some rollers. The times are not very fast generally, cause of the wind. Also, I donc have a skinsuit, nor a disk wheel and my TT bike set up works with friction shifters! The way I pace my TT is I tend to start conservative, build it up and hold the speed as much as I can, and finish strong on the end, but its easier said then done. Sometimes, I just start out too fast

mattr, what do you mean by over egging the cake? Like I said the times are not very fast cause of the winds. But I guess i'll be faster then last year, given similar weather conditions

Sorry I was wrong in the calculation. In this case then Devinci would be better than most beginners. One thing is that when you hit the road it will be harder than the indoor training.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

devinci

by devinci

mattr

what I understand is you think doing 2 hard training sessions a week is pointless. My goal is getting better at TTs and in cycling in general cause I love it and im starting to love racing more and more. Guess we have different ambitions in cycling

Stella

yeah I expect it to be hard when i'll get outside. But traiing indoor on the trainer is better then doing nothing or doing something not specific to what I want to acheive.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I currently have it set up that when I wake up in the morning I run into my bike that is strategically set up near my bed. The bike in question is a trek 1200 hooked up to a Kurt Kinetic trainer. I set it up that way so that maybe, maybe I might try and ride it. Well I did do that Saturday morning for 30 minutes. I do not have a computer on the bike so I don't know what mileage, speed or cadence I did but I do remember that it was harder on my legs than riding my bike on the road. The 42x13 gear was rather pungent after a few minutes. But regardless on the trainer you don't need to worry about road condition, temperature, wind, and hills. Just concentrating on fluid strokes and keeping the cadence constant. I dread my little torture trainer.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mattr

by mattr

devinci wrote:mattr

what I understand is you think doing 2 hard training sessions a week is pointless. My goal is getting better at TTs and in cycling in general cause I love it and im starting to love racing more and more. Guess we have different ambitions in cycling.
I knew it would come over badly :D

From this ^^ post its fairly clear that you aren't "peaking for a TT in May", you are trying to build season/base fitness and there is a TT in May that you want to do well in.

Dalai

by Dalai

mattr wrote:What I'm trying to get at is all these targeted sessions and planning, just to turn yourself inside out for half an hour. Seems a lot of effort for little point (or reward).

Racing a good ITT not reward?

mattr

by mattr

Dalai wrote:
mattr wrote:What I'm trying to get at is all these targeted sessions and planning, just to turn yourself inside out for half an hour. Seems a lot of effort for little point (or reward).
for an entire winter and springs training, one TT? No. Not even close.

devinci

by devinci

well, making it onto the podium in that TT would make my season :D

Anyways, I dont mind suffering whole winter if it makes me gain a few seconds

LouisN

by LouisN

My plan for february:

-Once or twice a week: Tempo ride on the trainer (45-75 min.). Either bring it (steadily) to over 60 minutes, or push up the "wattage" a little.
- Once a week: Leg speed and technique. Spin ups, isolated leg, small gear training.
- Once a week : Leg "Strengh" (maybe that's not exactly it but...): 15-20 minutes sub-threshold (L4) pushing a big gear (around 70 rpm). Work on TT position.
- Various endurance rides the rest of the time (2-3 times per week).

Goal is to enter a first race mid-May.
Be ready (fit) for first "big" race may 30th (stage race).
That would be my first expected "peak"... Other important races are in august and sept. So big gap there ....

Louis :)

devinci

by devinci

Louis

what are your endurance rides on? Bike? MTB? skis?

Also, whats that race mid-may? Saint-ray and charlevois I guess.

I so, I see the point of doing low cadence threshold efforts, charlevoix is hilly as hell aparently, never done it

LouisN

by LouisN

Endurance rides (1.5-2.5 hrs) are on the trainer (rreeeeaalllly boring (watching the children's channel :x , or some Wii game they're playing..), but it's a dad's task to be around the house...).

You pointed the right races. Charlevoix would be my first stage race ever. And, as I pointed earlier, I've never trained year round. Usually, I start training in may ... :oops:

I'm working on my weak points, wich are strenght (hills: I'll need extra strenght to push my 17lbs rig up those 11-12% hills)) and muscular endurance (I suck at TT).

I'll eventually be doing anaerobic endurance, but that type of work will come later (march-april). I would be dead my march if I started that type of work now...These will be done outside, with the "help" of one or two "motivated" buddies.

Louis :)

paddy

by paddy

found this quite interesting - philip deignan's winter/early season training regime:

http://www.philipdeignan.com/node/73
Bikes:

Look 585 2008, Campag Record 2008, Campag Shamal
Enigma titanium Esprit 2009, Campag Chorus / Record mix 2007, Campag Zonda
Kinesis Alu Racelight T 2009, Campag Centaur 2006, Ambrosio Excellight 28/32 handbuilts

devinci

by devinci

1.5 to 2 hours at 300 watts :shock:

thanks paddy, interresting read

Dalai

by Dalai

mattr wrote:
Dalai wrote:
for an entire winter and springs training, one TT? No. Not even close.

I say use whatever gets you out the door if the conditions allow or onto the trainer is good. :thumbup:

Having said that were I live we can train and race year round for road and track so can only feel your pain rather than experience it... 8)

OJ

by OJ

devinci wrote:1.5 to 2 hours at 300 watts :shock:

thanks paddy, interresting read

300 watts alone isn't that amazing but when taking his weight (64kg) into account, it puts the power in different perspective.

We're having a great winter here. Steady -10 all the time and we finally have some snow. Good times doing tempo workouts on skis and SST/threshold on a trainer. Just started at a new job on Feb 1st and that made my schedule quite a bit more challenging.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com