What is everyone weighing in at?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

Ugh I hate posting my numbers but maybe someone can help shed some Kg shedding secrets-

28 yrs old
5'9"- 175cm
168lbs- 76kg

disclaimer- Im in the Army and an Infantry Paratrooper, so my ability to be super skinny is tough but I'd like to drop to 150lbs for idea race weight. Main diet consists of whey protein shakes, chicken, fish, eggs, veggies..etc I eat very clean and try to eat as few carbs in the afternoon as possible and only water or coffee. No sodas, seldom do I grab a red bull but it's a treat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

Puro, you're almost exactly where I'm at both in terms of weight and height. I know I could drop to almost 160 with some hard work, and not knowing your body composition is hard, but I would be fairly stickly if I was to drop to 150. That's me though

ITTY

by ITTY

If you're looking to lose weight, whey protein shakes are most likely not helping. Isn't that the stuff that bodybuilders use to bulk up?
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Joso

by Joso

Protein doesnt miraculously make you build muscle.

In fact, a well calculated high protein, moderately low carb diet will help you lose some fat.

Cuki

by Cuki

Stay away from protein supplements at all costs please. Actually, stay away from sports supplements in general if possible.

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

Joso wrote:Protein doesnt miraculously make you build muscle.

In fact, a well calculated high protein, moderately low carb diet will help you lose some fat.

A high whey protein and pretty darn good at low carb amounts is where Im at. I don't take creatine, or any other sort of "muscle building supplement". Whatever weights I do, I let my body naturally taper it through high amounts of cardio. I am considered a skinny and small guy in comparison to other Soldiers, but on runs is where I excel. Sadly for cycling, I can still definitely drop 10+ and become quite competitive for when the roads point upwards.

devinci

by devinci

why whey shake would'nt help?

why protein doesnt help build muscle?

why stay away from all supplements?

How a well calculated protein diet with low carbs will help a person you don't know loose weight?

A whole lot of assumptions here

KWalker

by KWalker

I'm sorry but high protein low carb will only ever work if you are also HIGH FAT. You probably are super low on calories and your metabolism has likely slowed to that of a pre-teen female's. You should read some stuff about leptin and thyroid regulation as a response to various macronutrients and overall caloric intake.

I don't know what your riding and Army training are like, but I'm guessing you do a lot of cardiovascular activity. Fuel it. Drop the protein down. Endurance athletes generally require less than pure strength/power athletes. Lyle McDonald has some great free articles on his site www.bodyrecomposition.com. Read as many as you can specifically his articles on CHO and protein requirements. My guess is you are probably hovering around 40%-50% of your diet (or more) from protein, and maybe 25% from the other two macros at most. Normally, and percentages are not always the most accurate way to break down a diet, an endurance athlete would require around 50%-60% of their diet to be from CHO at the very least. Right now its trendy to avoid processed carbs, which definitely aren't the best, but starchy vegetables, rice, and numerous legumes also have a very high protein and trace nutrient content as well and are perfectly acceptable energy sources.

To give you an idea of my daily intake on a maintenance day:
6 feet 2 inches tall, 28 years old
159-160lbs
On a recovery spin or off day: 2400-2600 calories (Using BW in lbs x 15-16). I shoot for 4-5g/kg of CHO, 1.25g/kg of protein, and do try to keep fat on the lower side and it ends up fine. This ends up somewhere around 290-360g of CHO, 90-100g of protein, and fat whatever it ends up at.

Ride days really differ depending on what I did the previous day, that day, the next day, and the next block so I can't really advise you there. I've struggled with trying to maintain weight in the past and tried about every type of diet imaginable and restricting my CHO intake was probably the most detrimental thing I have done in terms of performance and maintaining a healthy metabolism.

No supplement will build muscle. You guys are talking out of your assholes. Creatine does not actually build muscle, it helps to synthesize ATP faster for very short duration activity. It would do nothing for a cyclist, but would help a strength athlete spending less than 12 seconds under tension.

Protein does not also necessarily build muscle. It can prevent catabolism, maintain a positive nitrogen balance, and promote anabolism, but there is nothing about whey protein that makes your body say "Oh damn, better go make a ton of muscle". Muscle gain is determined by genetics, diet, and type of exercise in that order. I've yet to see a single endurance athlete accidentally gain too much muscle by riding a bike although many gain plenty of fat and get dad legs and think that they've gained muscle.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Can someone repost so KW can see...

Just another example of how much KW and I probably agree on a ton of stuff. Good post mate.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Tapeworm wrote:Can someone repost so KW can see...

Just another example of how much KW and I probably agree on a ton of stuff. Good post mate.

There go Tapeworm! :up:

Better not let the coach see this but I've blown out a little to 84kgs; still feel good on the bike but the motivation to actually get out the door is waning a bit at the moment, possibly due to external factors such as weather, and shitty race results. :?

But the days are slowly, slowly getting longer! Which means summer is on it's way 8)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

KWalker: good points. Carbs is fuel. More protein does not equal more muscle.

That said, here's a study that might be of interest in this context:
Protein ingestion before sleep improves postexercise overnight recovery.

drmutley

by drmutley

Started off life as an athlete, then decided to get an education/job and somehow Was 35, 116kgs, 186cm (6ft1 1/2")... Now getting close to peak fitness again at 41yo, 78kgs....

devinci

by devinci

There is indeed nothing special to whey protein other then the practical aspect of it. The amino acid profile is interesting but is not something that can't be accounted for by eating a variety of other whole foods. Building muscle has a lot to do with the correct training stimuli. But coming out on a forum and telling someone he should avoid this and that, and a macro will be him gain weight and supplements are evil, is just nuts.

Other then the potential initial, rapid gains (and loss of fat), you will hardly build muscle by riding a bike, endurance-wise. The mechanisms are just not compatible. Even if you lift and keep an endurance training regiment, there won't be any significant contractile muscle protein synthesis.

devinci

by devinci

And I would add something: if you have to overeat on a particular macronutrient, then it may be a good idea to overeat on protein rather then fat or carbs. KW protein intake sounds good but I would say anywhere between 1g to 2g / kg is fine. Overeating on proteins can have a few benefits as far as weight management goes; it is more satiating, it costs more energy to metabolise and the fat gain should be minimal when overeating as far as you don't go over the top with your caloric intake and expenditure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Definitely true^ I think the problem lies when people way overeat it, which it is easy to do, and then skimp on calories that provide energy.

Another point that is helpful to bring up is that saying arbitrarily that you need to hit a certain weight to be fast doesn't necessarily make a ton of sense. What you should focus more on is increasing power while decreasing bodyfat percentage unless you are riding pro level races with long 20-60min climbs. Cyclists can get very warped idea of size and weight. Sure, the climber types are definitely very thin, but a lot of really successful pro tour riders aren't actually as thin or as light as you'd think in person. Jumping down to the domestic level neither are a lot of those guys, however, a lot of them are really lean. Although he was on drugs, Lance is a great example as he was definitely heavier for his height some of the years that he won the Tour.

Its easy to become obsessed with the scale because it gives you a hard and fast number that you can comprehend, but in the end it could be a losing battle. I know that during a hard training block my weight can swing 4 lbs in just a day depending on water retention, glycogen levels, and even a bit of bloating after a really big ride on a hard day. A better solution has been to get a DEXA scan a few times a year to assess overall muscle and bodyfat levels. A scale can really prevent one from adopting healthy eating habits because it can also push them to keep pursuing drastic strategies when its not going down. I have a very good friend that is a high level domestic racer that goes through this every year. He tries to get below 155lbs, does one weird diet after another (no solid foods after a ride, 2,000cal deficits etc.), ends up not fulfilling his riding potential, then hits the off-season and stops dieting and his weight jumps back up to 165-170. He is already lean as hell and none of his races need him to weigh less, but he chases these numbers as if they're the key to success. I did for years as well and it definitely hurt more than it helped.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike