VLAmax

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dülmen

by Dülmen

I did a Test at STAPS and found out that VLamax is my biggest weakness.
How can I reduce mit VLAmax ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trap

by trap

I have never heard the term VLamax before, the first hit in google says it's "anaerobic capacity". I'm not sure why you would want to reduce it, bigger is better at least in the usual literature.

Dülmen

by Dülmen

Vlamax means the maximal rate of lactate building. This should be low for professionel riders...

debock.robby

by debock.robby

Then train and act like pro-riders :D

No serious, if you concentrate for many years on longtime-trainings, your VO2max will increase, and the longer you stay in your aerobic zone, by which your amount of lactate will be less.
I don't know if that means that your max lactate rate will decrease though..
"It's always your legs that count, but WW bikes make strong legs last longer!"

Dülmen

by Dülmen

My VOmax is very high but my lactate rate too.... and thats the problem ;-) I am looking for special Workouts to improve especially this area...

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

you are refering to this right?

I think they mean that pros have a lower rate of building up lactic acid, once they go past their treshold, so that the muscles don't "fill up" as fast.

I had never heard of it before, and it's really interesting. They feature some really big names, and I'm not meaning to bash them or anything, but, according to their philosophy, could anything but VLAmax be your biggest weakness?

They really sent you home without any advice? You paid them lots of money.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Dülmen

by Dülmen

No I did not pay them a lot cause they are one of my sponsors... They did give me advices but I want some specific WKO not just "Do lots of work near your FTP and train G2 with low cadence..."

John979

by John979

Dülmen wrote:No I did not pay them a lot cause they are one of my sponsors... They did give me advices but I want some specific WKO not just "Do lots of work near your FTP and train G2 with low cadence..."

But that is what you have to do, expect maybe the low-cadence stuff. Germans never seem to get that strength and power are two different things...
John979

Tabe

by Tabe

If your VOmax is very high, but you produce quite much lactate means you're talent with low fitness 8) Or person with big muscles (bodybuilder moved into cycling or somethin like that) Short distance track cyclist who shuffers in long climbing. Any hits?

VoMax is quite much what's in your DNA. You can get it higher with training, but top athletes are allways sum of good DNA and good training.

If you have big muscles you produce more lactate, more muscles working = more lactate builds (like xc-skiing or rowing).

Fact is that upper level endurance training and time trialing gives you best ability to work harder without too much lactate. Still in typical road race you need ability to attack or close gaps and those are mostly done anaerobic (lactate coming) so you must balance training with anaerobic intervals too. It's a question of balancing speed and endurance. More with speed in one day training and more with endurance in stage racing.

There is no precise way to say what you must do as it depens your training backround, your strenghts and weaknesses overall, your season goals, your several seasons goals.

Dülmen

by Dülmen

Okay... I am not a very big rider (71,5kg at 1,90) and I do cycling since 2005. So maybe the lactate production is high cause I am not training for more than 3 years.

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

It depends mainly how u train. If u mix your training and u go hard alot too (no really systematic aerobic only sessions), then u train mainly fast twitch muscle fibers. U burn suggar without enough oxygen = lactat.

If u do lots of aerobic training, u train slow twitch muscles and u build up mitochondrias. U burn mainly fat with enough oxygen = very low lactat.

More mitochondrias mean more power. Thats why good riders got a very high poweroutput and still using fat burning process with low lactat.

Sprinters for example can stand high lactat up to 25 mmol.

Look at your poweroutput at Lactat 1, 2 and 3. If the wattage is high and the gap between 1 and 3 is big...u got a good base. If not, train more base.
If its good. Grats ur a natural born sprinter^^.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bullyboy

by bullyboy

Dülmen wrote:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:04 pm
I did a Test at STAPS and found out that VLamax is my biggest weakness.
How can I reduce mit VLAmax ?
VLamax is your maximum glycolytic flux or the maximal use of glycolysis.
The higher this is the more it will over shadow your aerobic capacity at submaximal efforts and hence lower your AT/FTP.
Workouts that have been shown to lower it are long sweetspot/tempo efforts and especially longish efforts in very high gears and low cadence (50-60rpm) at tempo/SS power outputs and no higher.
Hope that helps
bullyboy