off season riding speed...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

A e o l u s

by A e o l u s

just wondering, now its the off season in most countires, I just wondered what sort of speed your doing for your generally rides, ie. avg speed fo 2hrs,3hrs,4hrs etc. not really important just would be interesting.....

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

Well. Here in Norway most riders are doing like... 20-25. Why? Because all training is normally done on mountainbikes with around 300 spikes in the tires.
Hell yeah!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

A e o l u s

by A e o l u s

are we tlkin mph or kph?

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

kph
Hell yeah!

Coppi51

by Coppi51

Our winter group rides usually average 17-19mph or so over undulating territory...

...Usually a 3-4 hour ride...Cat 3/4 riders...

ZeCanon

by ZeCanon

Depends on which group I go out with but it's always less than 20mph for base stuff. Doesnt' really matter how long we're going, average is always around 17-18mph on flatish/undulating roads with the 3/4 group and closer to 20 with the A/cat 1/2 group. Actually sometimes the shortest rides are the slowest because on long rides we get bored and start picking up the pace accidentally.
I'm really bad at going slow... as I'm sure many of you are :) I always want to race that biker/car/runner/horse/squirrel/whatever that goes by, so my coach makes me stay in my 39 for entire rides pretty often (except when it just doesn't make sense; downhills, huge tailwinds, etc).

This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.

ihana

by ihana

I mainly ride at lunchtime from work - I do 30km or 50km loops with up around 1000m of climbing at between 28-31kmh avg.
Its horrible cold at the moment too, -2C yesterday :( ..cold weather definitely makes me slower too.

Tom

Pepsi

by Pepsi

in off season dont care about speed :wink:

Koen

by Koen

ihana wrote:I mainly ride at lunchtime from work - I do 30km or 50km loops with up around 1000m of climbing at between 28-31kmh avg.
Its horrible cold at the moment too, -2C yesterday :( ..cold weather definitely makes me slower too.

Tom

30km/u avg on such a tough parcours (1000m!) thats real fast I think
are you that good or you just ride too hard for the time of year? :)
Gewoon bluve goan!

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

220-240Watts (is in my endurance zone)
105-110Cadence
Around 4.5-7hours (4.5h-sprints/interval. 6-7h-long steady watts)

ihana

by ihana

Koen wrote:
ihana wrote:I mainly ride at lunchtime from work - I do 30km or 50km loops with up around 1000m of climbing at between 28-31kmh avg.

Tom

30km/u avg on such a tough parcours (1000m!) thats real fast I think
are you that good or you just ride too hard for the time of year? :)

I just ride hard - I'm time limited by family/work/daylight so I have to cram in what I
can in around 6 hours a week of training. Longest race won't be more than around
80-100kms so no reason to do very long rides although I'd do them if I had the chance.
I used to be ok at TTs when I was 20-odd yrs old student in UK, now I'm 36 and aiming for
a 'comeback' :P after years of just fun riding.

I'm sort of trying block training but find that the by the 3rd successive day I'm pretty stuffed
and can't get the pulse up. Will try 2 blocks of 2 with a day off in between next.

I ride to work, only 9kms, each day too which helps keep the legs turning.

Tom

peterpen

by peterpen

zakeen wrote:220-240Watts (is in my endurance zone)
105-110Cadence

How many kJ (or TSS since you're using WKO+ now) per week does that work out to? And is that 220-240w your average for the entire ride or where you spend most of your time? (for instance, many rides I'll do an hour or so of intervals >250w, plus an hour >220, but when I factor in coasting, rest intervals, etc, my avg watts is almost never above 200w this time of year)

myself -
avg spd - depends on terrain. Averaged 25mph for 3 hrs today... because I was trapped inside on the rollers/ trainer. :evil: probably 17-20mph outdoors.
avg watts 180-200 (my endurance zone :lol: )
avg kJ 1500 -3000
avg TSS 150 -250
between 3 - 4.5hrs, 5 days/wk plus one 1.5hr active recovery day
36 y.o. Cat 3

Kraaf

by Kraaf

Pepsi wrote:in off season dont care about speed :wink:
:goodpost:

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

peterpen wrote:
zakeen wrote:220-240Watts (is in my endurance zone)
105-110Cadence

How many kJ (or TSS since you're using WKO+ now) per week does that work out to? And is that 220-240w your average for the entire ride or where you spend most of your time? (for instance, many rides I'll do an hour or so of intervals >250w, plus an hour >220, but when I factor in coasting, rest intervals, etc, my avg watts is almost never above 200w this time of year)

Dont know on a week. I do 4 day programs, so it will be different for every week, so I cant give you those numbers, so its like:

4.5hr (Sprints/Power)
5.5hr (Cadence work)
6hr - Long ride
Gym

or sometimes another long ride is put in there after the long ride above(depending on the level of the set and what type of gym work I have after).

Like you said, AVG pretty much means nothing because of coast(which I try not to do when I ride solo), corners, red lights, water stops, etc...... Its the Distribution graphs thats important for looking at training. But I have included one of my rides. Its just the classic long ride with no intervals. Notice the two Distribution graphs for Cadence and Power. Thats the most important stuff for me.

Of course my other rides are not so hard with the intervals. So I aim for around 210watts. For this ride attached, I aim for 220-240watts during the ride, not for avg.
Attachments
long_ride01.jpg

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Damn Adam, I thought you were fit - 6 hours of sustained 230 Watt's and you managed to get through 9.09km

:D :P

For me, last seasons off season speed was around 32-33km/h if there was allot of climbing, or towards 36-38km/h on the flat. This season, no idea, I've only been on the bike a few weeks from 8 months off, and my polar HRM needs replacing - I need to find the money and the time to go down and post it off, so I dont have speed until then - and its starting to tick off my coach. :oops:
Last edited by Skillgannon on Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com