off season riding speed...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mzagorski

by mzagorski

I've been training since Nov 1... Average speed is usually in the range of 32-34 km/h and about 230w avg for 3-6hour rides. Cadence averages about 90rpm. Just finished my second 4-week long block of training with a little over 26hours on week 3 (week 4 is my recovery/testing week)... Will try and post some cyclingpeaks graphics when I get home.

Adam, based on your average watts (not normalized) and IF of 0.764... Puts your current FTP at about 300w. Does seem kind of low?.. Were you really that unfit at the end of last season? :lol:

Here's one of my ride summaries from the past week...
Attachments
mz_ride_summary.jpg

dm69

by dm69

a big guy like adam riding for T-Mobile with a FTP of 300watts? I am sure thats not right? Do a 20min interval absolutely flat out and subtract the avg power by 5% thats approx your LTP or FTP. I would hazard a guess adam's FT would be 400 minimum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mzagorski

by mzagorski

The data he posted gave his average power and intensity factor. If 75% or so of your FTP is 235w +/- then you're threshold ISN'T going to be 400w... Unless you're zones aren't set correctly. Indeed 95% of Pavg for a 20min test is your FTP.

Adam, can you post a screen shot of your Performance Manager Chart since you start training for the 07 season? Interested to see what kind of rate you're CTL is increasing at. This is show and tell LOL... so here's a snapshot of mine.
Attachments
2007-1-2_pmc.jpg

AED

by AED

mzagorski wrote:Here's one of my ride summaries from the past week...

I think your pulse isn't shown correctly in that screenshot :?

mzagorski

by mzagorski

I think your pulse isn't shown correctly in that screenshot

Correct, no HRM data as I wasn't wearing a strap. Shows how much interference there is from other sources!

OJ

by OJ

Damn...you guys are talking about some strange numbers and "indicators" I've never even heard about. Only thing I understand is that many of you are riding fast even during off-season.

I'm doing 20-25km/h average speeds at the moment. On the other hand studded tires and fixed gear slow things down a bit. Of course training depends on when is the first race. When I started racing in February I was riding pretty fast already in Jan (Not any 32-34km/h though).
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

mzagorski wrote:Adam, based on your average watts (not normalized) and IF of 0.764... Puts your current FTP at about 300w. Does seem kind of low?.. Were you really that unfit at the end of last season? :lol:

Yes I was............ Before I sat my medical test I made 2weeks of training( if you call it training :lol: ) in 10weeks......... I was very very unfit and came of a sick period. Once I got fit(healthy) I couldnt even finish the last 3 races of the season :cry: Those zones where correct at the time and like I said before are very low and wrong. Its off season and Im not training based on TSS.

Im sure it was my worse fitness in the last 4 years........

frd

by frd

mzagorski wrote:The data he posted gave his average power and intensity factor. If 75% or so of your FTP is 235w +/- then you're threshold ISN'T going to be 400w... Unless you're zones aren't set correctly. Indeed 95% of Pavg for a 20min test is your FTP.

Adam, can you post a screen shot of your Performance Manager Chart since you start training for the 07 season? Interested to see what kind of rate you're CTL is increasing at. This is show and tell LOL... so here's a snapshot of mine.

Holy Cow! My CTL is currently about 75 TSS/d (started November from 0, no consistent powermeter data until there), I was thinking it was pretty good for me (certainly the best winter ever so far), but looks nothing compared to you! (well I should also say that on weekdays I can only train on rollers)

This is the downside of powermeter+cyclingpeaks: you realize how big is the gap between suckers like me and real racers :lol:

wogamax

by wogamax

16/17mph (~26kph), base (LSD, Long Slow Distance) riding at 120HR's. Never more than ~3hrs.

Training at heart rates this low, <70% of LTHR, was completely new to me this year. I am undecided whether its practical within a sub-12hr weekly program, but nonetheless avg watts have gone up from ~130 to 160-170 and I can feel more muscles being recruited. Its base..

Zakeen, keep pouring it on. Do you do consults :) ? 2400+ sprint watts caught my attention, too. When you say 1500 as your goal, are you talking about an instantaneous point, or for some duration? I've been doing big ring sprints of 8 crank revolutions from rest and its gotten up to 1280 (instantaneous) for me, but that drops off like a rock.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

You do your sprints in 8 Revolutions! Very good! I do mine in 8 seconds, no more, no less. Which is pretty much the same. Goal is to hit 1500watts within those 8 seconds.

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Adam, a man of your build and caliber shouldn't have a problem getting 1500w to the pedals 8) Presume we're talking 1sec max and not holding 1500w for the entire 8 sec? 8) Now.. if you got Kloden-skinny by race season, I think 1500 might be a challenge. Did my own FTP Test last night... 360+ watts for 20min despite not doing any real intensity yet!

wogamax

by wogamax

Being heavier, more of my watts are coming from gravity. Also, if you set your power meter for, say, 1 second sampling instead of 2, etc., you may double your chances at bagging your goal 8)

1500+ may simply amount to the right Kodak moment.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

@wogamax, Ive always got my SRM set to 1 second intervals. I never want to miss any data at all. I have notice a few years back by having a larger interval it avgs your results over that time. Only time I have 2 second intervals is when I ride longer then 6hours. But these rides dont have any type of efforts in them.

Sorry that I cant easily produce 1500watts. Im no sprinter at all. Couldnt sprint if a dog was chasing me(hence why I carry a big bike pump!). Just a different athlete to a sprinter. I can hold 400+ watts for more then an hour no problem when Im fit.

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Adam... when I mentioned the CTL/TSS thing before... If you do testing now and again throughout the year and upate that info and your zones in cyclingpeaks (WKO+) then you'll still get data in the Performance Manager Chart. I had some involvement with beta testing the PMC and I'd really be interested so see what kind of PMC data you produce throughout the season. I've seen PMC info for myself and various other riders, but never a ProTour rider... If you are able / willing to share some of that data throughout the season that'd be awesome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peterpen

by peterpen

mzagorski wrote:This is show and tell LOL... so here's a snapshot of mine.

Did you just start using WKO at the beginning of the month or did your CTL really go from 50tss/d to 120? That seems like a very steep ramp rate. My current CTL is around 120, but I'm creeping up at about 10 tss/d per month.

(OT, total newbie question but how are you posting those screen shots?)