Spinning bikes

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

Are there spinning bikes (hometrainer with a fixed gear) with changable cranks or adjustable crankarms?

I am looking for a spinning bike with a crankarm length of 175mm or a spinning bike with adustable crankarms. Does it exist?

Is the lemond revmaster a spinning bike or just a stationary trainer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tim

by Tim

lemond revmaster have a freewheel.

the scwinn spinning bikes is fixie and have regular crank and BB. I think it's square tapper. But it doesn't matter on a bike like this..

Monark ergometers also have replaceble cranks, standard with 52T cog, not sure what bottombracket it use. It will defenatly suprice me if you can't get the size of cranks you wan't on a bike for that price.

a friend of mine did order a spinningbike and they changed cranks from factory for free.

I have train many hours on the schwinn bike but I really dislike those bars the spinningbikes have, I want to have a regular road bar with levers on. in those days I prefer the turbo trainer and put the roadmachin in it.

[edit]
I've never seen a spinningbike with the posibility to change crankarm lenght without changing the whole crankset.

Camelfred

by Camelfred

Tim wrote:I have train many hours on the schwinn bike but I really dislike those bars the spinningbikes have, I want to have a regular road bar with levers on.

Hi Tim ,
me too - so take a look at my Schwinn-Spinningbike : 8)
Camelfred
Attachments
SpinningBike 4.jpg

cees

by cees

Paul_nl wrote:Are there spinning bikes (hometrainer with a fixed gear) with changable cranks or adjustable crankarms?

I am looking for a spinning bike with a crankarm length of 175mm or a spinning bike with adustable crankarms. Does it exist?

Is the lemond revmaster a spinning bike or just a stationary trainer?

yes a srm

but why not buy a cheap bike put them in let say a tacx
whoul be much simpler and your own size ,and have spare bike
skype Ceesbeers191053
www.ada.prorider.org

cees

by cees

[quote="Paul_nl"]Are there spinning bikes (hometrainer with a fixed gear) with changable cranks or adjustable crankarms?

quote]http://www.srm.de/deutsch/prod_indoor.html
skype Ceesbeers191053
www.ada.prorider.org

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

cees wrote:
yes a srm

I thought that the SRM indoor trainer as a freewheel instead of a fixed wheel.

cees wrote:but why not buy a cheap bike put them in let say a tacx
whoul be much simpler and your own size ,and have spare bike

But then I don't have a flywheel. That will give it a different feel.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

A good majority of quality spinning bikes use a standard 73mm english threaded BB, and are using square taper BB and cranks.

On the plus side, if you want to train with power, Ergomo makes a system just for spin bikes.
View before posting!
Pegoretti Love #3: It's here!!!

John979

by John979

First, why get a spin bike? They have the best "feel" of any indoor training option, due to high inertia.

In November, I am getting a CycleOps PT300 -- a spin bike with a built-in PowerTap power meter. For anyone considering purchasing a spin bike, I recommend investigating a PT300.
John979

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

John979 wrote:First, why get a spin bike? They have the best "feel" of any indoor training option, due to high inertia.

Yes, that's it.
And it's a little bit different due the absence of a freewheel.

That cycleops (powertap) spinbike is a nice one! I didn't know it was a spinbike, I thought it had a freewheel. Maybe I buy this winter 2 cycleops products :D (Pro 300PT and SL 2.4).

The ergomo spin sensor is also an option, but isn't one product. I have to buy a spinbike and an ergomo bottom bracket...

debock.robby

by debock.robby

What about the dunlop Z11 ? I was thinking of track riding this winter, just for training and skills. But when calculating a 90' training, I will loose in total some 3-4hours because of transport, so I thougt buying a spinner.
It's priced as 220euro's in Belgium.

Now I have a tacx Basic but I don't like it that much.. The spinner can be placed on my room (for seeing movies etc) so no longer training in the garage.
I like the system of a flywheel that keeps spinning, so you have to peddle all the time.

http://www.futurumshop.nl/ice.cgi?templ ... id=9071222

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

John979 wrote:First, why get a spin bike? They have the best "feel" of any indoor training option, due to high inertia.

In November, I am getting a CycleOps PT300 -- a spin bike with a built-in PowerTap power meter. For anyone considering purchasing a spin bike, I recommend investigating a PT300.

My advice would be: don't buy it.

I have one and it's inaccurate. The zero torque before a workout is 0 inch*lbs and after one hour at 300 watts it is 10 inch*lbs. It is due the fact that the complete flywheel becomes hot after one hour and the electronics of the powertap become also hot. Due the change of zero torque my Pro 300PT is off by 16% after one hour.

It's too much for an indoorbike of 1850 dollars.

John979

by John979

Paul_nl wrote:

My advice would be: don't buy it.

I have one and it's inaccurate. The zero torque before a workout is 0 inch*lbs and after one hour at 300 watts it is 10 inch*lbs. It is due the fact that the complete flywheel becomes hot after one hour and the electronics of the powertap become also hot. Due the change of zero torque my Pro 300PT is off by 16% after one hour.

It's too much for an indoorbike of 1850 dollars.

Paul;

Let's not jump to conclusions here as there may be something particularly wrong with your PT300 Pro. I saw your post to the Wattage forum and definately appreciate the heads-up; however, I am not going to make any conclusions until I perform the test I outlined yesterday.

On the positive, per Dr. Coggan's comment, I checked some power/rate rate ratio numbers under isopower conditons and the ratio declines as expected, indicating that my PT300 Pro power readings are fairly constant over time; how much so I know tomorrow.

Nevertheless, you observations underscore the need for all PowerTap users to zero torque at the beginning of a ride and if there are temperature changes during the ride as well.
John979

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

You are right John. I got very dissapointed due the reaction of Cycleops. I emailed cycleops that probably my pro 300PT was inaccurate due the heat of the flywheel. They responded: that's not possible because the electronics of the powertap are not even close to the brakepads on the flywheel.

I am very curious about your test tomorrow.

But I found on cyclingforums.com two other users of a pro 300pt with the same problems as I have. I hope your powertap strain gauges don't have problems with the temperature changes during your workout.

John979

by John979

I had root canal on Wednesday an I was not quite able to perform my test has planned -- I could not maintain FTP for the workout so I stopped. However, I backed off a bit and at least did 20 minutes at L3 to wake my legs up a bit. Thankfully, I saw zero drift during this brief workout:

Start:
Torque: 0
Flywheel: Room Temperature
Hub: Room Temperature

After 10 minute Warm-up:
Flywheel: Slightly warm
Hub: Room Temperature

After 20 minutes at 260 watts:
Flywheel: Warm
Hub: Maybe a bit above room Temperature
John979

Herbert

by Herbert

A friend of mine has the CycleOps and this thing is awesome indeed in terms of features and ergonomics. If I were going to buy a bike like it, this would be it.

H

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com