How Much do you eat for Breakfast?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How much do you eat for Breakfast on a regular basis?

1/2 Wheetbix
18%
3/4
9%
5/6
9%
7/8
9%
9-11
No votes
12+
55%

Total votes: 11

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I'm only a small guy (5'6, 140lb) but I eat like a horse. I'm wondering if that's a common problem for active cyclists.

The follow on point is that I suffer from bad flatulence (luckly I spend most of my working day alone and wear a strong colone :oops: ). Do any other cyclists have the same problem? I fart when I'm hungry but in the last few weeks since I've come into better form (and eating more) I'm farting all day :cry: .

I thought breakfast composition would be a good measure of daily appitite.

Embarresed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ivan

by Ivan

I usually eat about 4 to 6 slices of bread in the morning and one piece of fruit (apple, orange, ...) But i am usually still hungry after breakfast. Yes i too can eat like a horse. If someone would say to me: well eat till you cant have no more ... i think the whole refrigirator would be empty ...
Thats normal i think, on some rides i burn up to 3000 kcal. You have to eat the same amount of calories to keep your energy level in balance.

kite flyer

by kite flyer

I bet that your gas problem is due to your high carb intake.

When I changed to a higher protein, higher fat and lower carb diet my 'difficulties' in that area greatly reduced.

However, I am not a competative cyclist and my current low carb intake still allows me to ride well.

p.s. I do not (and have not for many years) believe the fat-is-bad-for-you diet advice. I feel much better in general not stuffing myself with high carb foods. Works for me.

Oh yes, breakfast - cheese, meat and olives. Wonderful.

bobalou

by bobalou

Bruiser wrote:I'm only a small guy (5'6, 140lb) but I eat like a horse. I'm wondering if that's a common problem for active cyclists.

The follow on point is that I suffer from bad flatulence (luckly I spend most of my working day alone and wear a strong colone :oops: ). Do any other cyclists have the same problem? I fart when I'm hungry but in the last few weeks since I've come into better form (and eating more) I'm farting all day :cry: .

I thought breakfast composition would be a good measure of daily appitite.

Embarresed.

You need to change the "wheetabix" to "pop tarts" or something for us amirikans. :) What the heel is a wheetabix?

I don't eat much usually in the a.m. Unless I've got a big ride .. and actually will drink lots of carbo drink like accellerade.

Carbs + coffee = farts. Take one or both away and it will help. Your seat cushion will thank you too.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Wheetbix are a brick of processed wheet 8cm by 4cm.
They are the cheapest bulk breakfast cerial.

Granted I do eat my meals until I'm full, I am lossing alot of weight at the moment.

How does everyone else eat good fats and oils? I live on pasta and wheet and am reassesing my -Protein, Fat, Iron, B Group, Magnesium sources.

I don't drink coffee so I'm not sure about the coffee and carbs theory.

That someone else eats 12 bix for breakfast makes me feel more normal again :wink:

Brian
Last edited by Bruiser on Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tippster

by Tippster

I personally think the flatulance thing was "Too much information!"

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Last night I rode a 10mile TT with a howling cross wind so I ate lunch as usual, then drank a few litres of extran during the afternoon right up to the race. I was trying hard enough to vomit (but managed not to) so it was tough going. Afterwards I was driving home and fell foul of the golden arches but it had to be done.

Well, today I let out a quiet fart in the office (full of women) and it caused outrage! But by the sound of things this is common?

bobalou

by bobalou

If there were a way to harness the power for the hills.. or for that matter, it might help drop your opponents.

They call wheetabix "shredded wheat" over here. Tasts like cardboard so they have "frosted shredded wheat" in true US style.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Shredded Wheet with honey and sugar tastes ok, and for those that have a bottomless stomach it's also cheap.

I did notice last night that Yogurt contains alot of Potassium. Was hoping the good bacteria would help but it didn't.

Where can I locate Iron, B group and Magnesium without spending too much? (saving for a wheelset)

Brian

regopsp22

by regopsp22

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! You've been fasting for eight or so hours and so you need a lot of calories in my opinion!

A lot of people seem to miss out protein in their breakfasts too.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

How much protein should a breakfast contain.
Milk has 3g per 100ml.

Brian

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Does anyone actually have trouble tucking into a breakfast at all? Most mornings consist of a cup of coffee (trying not to drop my razor into it) then belting it to work. Generally don't feel that hungry when I get up. ANyone else like this?

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I'm the opposite for Breakfast, if I don't eat all 12 I'll be hungry a few hours later.

Maybe those Marlboro's are supressing your appitite :wink:

Brian

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

The strange thing is that when I've been training I can eat loads and loads. Same goes for when I've been on the beer. But first thing in the morning, I can't manage anything. When I was doing 400-500 mile weeks as a school boy I had to be on the road at 5:15am but even then I couldn't face any more than a cup of coffee.

As far as the smoking goes, I've cut back. I keep an emergency pack in the car for when the traffic gets annoying. Apart from that, I hardly smoke at all now.

If you want more protein in your breakfast, I know some guys make up a protein milkshake and put that on their cereal. e.g. chocolate proteinshake + cornflakes. I'm sure that will whet your appetite.
SEX! The Breakfast of Champions

regopsp22

by regopsp22

Bruiser wrote:How much protein should a breakfast contain.
Milk has 3g per 100ml.

Brian

Protein should be abour 30-40% of your calories, in these diets mentioned here they are very protien deficient.

Try incorporating cottage cheese or eggs into your breakfast for additional protein.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com