Do statins effect your legs when cycling?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wilwil

by wilwil

Ive been prescribed statins and Im not sure if my quads hurt more than normal when cycling. Evidence seems to be inconclusive that they cause muscle aches.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

I cant help with the actual question, but I will say this.
Why are you on statins?
Unless you are a post-menopausal woman, the evidence for their effectiveness in less than conclusive.

I have hypertension (you cant out-train your gentics) and my Dr at the time wanted to prescribe a class of drugs that would limit my cardiac output and when I questioned him, he doubled down and tried to lecture me.
I now have a different Dr that listened to my concerns and precribed something that I was happy with and now with having a little more time to train, we have had to adjust the medication down as my BP was getting too low

My point is, it wouldnt hurt to seek a second opinion as to your actual need for statins.

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

Andrew69 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:08 am
I cant help with the actual question, but I will say this.
Why are you on statins?
Unless you are a post-menopausal woman, the evidence for their effectiveness in less than conclusive.

I have hypertension (you cant out-train your gentics) and my Dr at the time wanted to prescribe a class of drugs that would limit my cardiac output and when I questioned him, he doubled down and tried to lecture me.
I now have a different Dr that listened to my concerns and precribed something that I was happy with and now with having a little more time to train, we have had to adjust the medication down as my BP was getting too low

My point is, it wouldnt hurt to seek a second opinion as to your actual need for statins.
I suspect you are thinking of another class of medications... (statins have large amount of evidence on effectiveness)

To the OP, I think you answered your question ('not sure') which aligns with the evidence (no conclusive evidence, despite lots of data....not including rhabdomyolysis, which is a rare but serious side effect)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

wilwil wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:16 pm
Ive been prescribed statins and Im not sure if my quads hurt more than normal when cycling. Evidence seems to be inconclusive that they cause muscle aches.
Hi,

I'm not a doctor but pharmacist and passionate about physiopathology, nutrition and myself a (very very) high Lp(a) (the devil of LDL-cholesterol) so I know a thing or two about that.

Statins block the production of a molecule precurso of cholesterol AND coenyzme Q10.
CoQ10 is fundamental in the production of ATP (energy) as it transfers electrons in the cell membrane.
CoQ10 deficit impairs cellular respiration/energy production/oxidation control.

I know litterature is a bit weak on whether Statins treatments reduce aerobic capacity or increases muscular pain. Patients don't respond the same way do CoQ10 depletion but THEORICALLY if you look at the role of CoQ10 IT IS VERY LOGICAL to think that it can reduce aerobic capacity, increases lactic acid production. (it is even believed to increase cardiac failure or Alzheimer/amyloid pathologies on a long term deficit of CoQ10)

We are not here to discuss about Statins efficacy (it is effective when prescribed well)

My own opinion, every statins patients should take Ubiquinol KANEKA between 50 and 300mg according to blood measure of CoQ10.

wilwil

by wilwil

The reason Ive been prescribed statins is high cholestrol. When I was younger I wasnt prescribed them because the risk of heart attack in the following 10 years was lower than 10% because in every other aspects (age, weight, blood pressure etc) I was healthy. The NHS doctors use some software that calculates this.
Ive been told its heridatary as Im pretty careful about my diet. I have also tried 3 different statins. This coenyzme Q10 info sounds interesting.

naavt

by naavt

wilwil wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:26 pm
The reason Ive been prescribed statins is high cholestrol. When I was younger I wasnt prescribed them because the risk of heart attack in the following 10 years was lower than 10% because in every other aspects (age, weight, blood pressure etc) I was healthy. The NHS doctors use some software that calculates this.
Ive been told its heridatary as Im pretty careful about my diet. I have also tried 3 different statins. This coenyzme Q10 info sounds interesting.
Hi wilwil,

Everyone is the master of his own mind so you decide as you may see fit. Nonetheless, let me share my experience with you, and I'll try to be analytical to spare you - and others - from a very long text:

1. My mother has very high cholesterol, and when I say high... is very high! Like 400+ mg/dL
2. From my early 30s (I'm 52), that I was diagnosed with high cholesterol (around 300 mg/dL of which most of it "bad" cholesterol)
3. My mother have taken statins for years with several side effects, including lack of energy
4. I've never taken statins to control cholesterol.
5. I always lived under the impression that my cholesterol was hereditary so I didn't even cared about since I've seen what statins made to my mother
6. Last year (2022) I've made my big real change on my food intake preparing to Lagos de Covadonga Classics in Astúrias. For the first time in - probably - 40 years, I've cut ice creams and chocolates from my diet, entirely!
7. I've managed to keep my weight (70kg 1,80cms), gaining muscle mass (gym), and losing fat
8. I've asked for a blood analysis when I came since I suspected to be Anemic (which I was), but for the first time in... 20 years, my Cholesterol was around the 200 mark!
9. With my mother I've shared 2 things: points 6, 7 and 8 above (and my mother is a apparently lean 75yo person), and a film, which I'm going to share with you also:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7379020/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It's not a conspiracy film. It's a documentary made for one of the most prestigious European channels. See it and decide if you really want to put statins in your body after that!

idickers

by idickers

Back to the OP's original question. Statins can cause muscle ache and tiredness, both of which will limit your training. As mentioned, CoQ can help mediate the effect. I was prescribed statins but couldn't stay on them because of the muscle soreness and lethargy.

kode54

by kode54

I'm on Crestor to control my cholesterol. I've tried to stay clear of it...but like the OP, its hereditary and with it on the high side regardless of my diet and exercise. Main side effect is muscle cramps, so I drink lots of water (my hydration level is around 55% on Withings scale). If i dip below to 53%, I get cramps on the shorter rides. Over 56%, I can control the cramping. That said, to combat the cholesterol, Crestor is necessary regardless of the 10,000+ miles I do every year. Either its not enough or my cholesterol won't get better with more exercise.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

vermit25

by vermit25

I was on a small dose of crestor during the winter, around the same time I was doing weight training. Even after 2 months of regular weight training my legs were always on fire while riding.
My cholestrol was back under control and my doc agreed on me taking a break from crestor for awhile, soon after that my legs were no longer sore. Hopefully my next blood test reveals that my cholestrol is still under control as i rather not get back on statins if I don't have to.

souplesse

by souplesse

wilwil wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:16 pm
Without type or dose, this is only speculation, but there are a few things you can consider. If you're on a lipophilic statin (e.g., atorvastatin, simvastatin) you could try switching to a hydrophilic statin (e.g., rosuvastatin, pravastatin) to see how you respond. You could also try reducing your statin dose and add a nonstatin agent such as ezetimibe. There can be quite large interindividual differences in the response to lipid-lowering therapy so it may be useful to swap or titrate drugs based on changes in side effects and relevant biomarkers.

It's also worth adding that common side effects to statins, such as muscle pain, is commonly due to other factors rather than the statin itself: "(...) for patients who report mild muscle symptoms when taking a statin, our findings suggest that it is most likely that the symptoms are not due to the statin, and statin therapy should continue until other potential causes have been explored."

Also note that the duration of exposure to atherogenic risk factors such as LDL is a major factor in disease risk, which is why managing blood lipids over time is important, preferably from a young age.

It's probably not a bad idea to add CoQ10 after discussing it with your GP, which is what you should do before making any change.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com