Best HR strap

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

I've had 3 Wahoo HR (Tickr, both versions) failing on me. Inconsistent HR readings - zone 2 power causing HR to go up to 225bpm - are really starting to bother me, especially in structured training.

What's the best bomb-proof alternative I could buy today?
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Polar H10 is the best. You can drop a watt bomb and your bike might explode and you might leave a small crater in the tarmac. But your HRM will keep reading.

Wahoo Tickrs, both the sensor and usually the strap, are known for poor durability. Wahoo knows this and if you file a warranty they will typically replace it pain free. But wow 3 times is a lot. Most frens go for Polar after they've run around the Wahoo Warranty block a few times.

djel

by djel

maxim809 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:29 pm
Polar H10 is the best. You can drop a watt bomb and your bike might explode and you might leave a small crater in the tarmac. But your HRM will keep reading.

Wahoo Tickrs, both the sensor and usually the strap, are known for poor durability. Wahoo knows this and if you file a warranty they will typically replace it pain free. But wow 3 times is a lot. Most frens go for Polar after they've run around the Wahoo Warranty block a few times.
I went through 2 Wahoo Tickr with inconsistent and useless readings before replacing it with a Polar H10 :lol:

usr

by usr

I agree that H10 is great (the slip avoidance dots alone make it a class of its own!), but I've managed to watt-bomb even that one into "this clearly can't be true" territory.

When HR jumps from ca 30 below maximum to ca 10 below maximum a few seconds after accepting that this all-out just crossed that line between all and out, you just know that the sensor log won't reflect the entire truth.

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Also looking to change from the Tickr, inconsistent HR readings and strap doesn't work well for me.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

Andrew69

by Andrew69

I ended up using an old Garmin strap I found in the bottom of the draw.
I dont even know how old it is, but considering I havent bought a Garmin product since at least 2010....

usr

by usr

The old HRM1G that was originally released as a Dynasream product? Yeah, that's what I still consider the gold standard. I once saw a batch of old stock offered on eBay super cheap, accidentally clicked two instead of one, tried to cancel one but they cancelled both, what a pity.

Moltobene

by Moltobene

Adding to that, Polar is the way to go. However, the H9 is not worse from my experience regarding durability, accuracy etc., it's only got less features like dual-bluetooth and no internal memory.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Thanks for the feedback all of you. I've ordered myself a Polar H10.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

Moltobene

by Moltobene

Ritsuke wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:35 pm
Thanks for the feedback all of you. I've ordered myself a Polar H10.
Good choice. Forgot to add that I like the Pro Strap way better than the regular strap that's included with the H9, also it's easier to close. I personally went with the H9 but upgraded the strap to the Pro/H10 one.

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Another previous Wahoo Tickr user who's since converted to Polar H10.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

That's not good to hear. Since not long ago I got a new Tickr after having two 4iiii Viva HR monitors fail in two years time. One I got replaced on warranty and the other wasn't covered anymore by that time.

I haven't had any issues with the Tickr so far, other than the strap not staying in place well. Not that I know of at least.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I was also using Tickr for a long time, with little to no issues.
But after 4 years of use it started to behave erraticly, when I opened it up I saw some signs of moisture intake.

Since then I've been using old Polar H7 that I had in the drawer.
Its a very reliable device, only issue is it only supports Bluetooth, no ANT+.
Also you can connect it to only 1 device concurrently, unlike Tickr which supports multiple connection (headunit+zwift for instance).

But the H10 should support ANT+ and also concurrent connections.

ms6073

by ms6073

Kind of curious what are everyones expectations of these HR straps. I have had what I consider good results with the Wahoo Tickr HR straps but maybe I am the exception rather than the norm, but I really don't expect HR straps to last more than a few years of use. Realistically, I do not need a HR strap but given that several of the folks I used to ride/race with suddenly noted larmingly high HR readings during moderate intisensity rides which was then diagnosed as afib shortly thereafter, I am now in the better safe than sorry category.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:28 pm
Kind of curious what are everyones expectations of these HR straps. I have had what I consider good results with the Wahoo Tickr HR straps but maybe I am the exception rather than the norm, but I really don't expect HR straps to last more than a few years of use. Realistically, I do not need a HR strap but given that several of the folks I used to ride/race with suddenly noted larmingly high HR readings during moderate intisensity rides which was then diagnosed as afib shortly thereafter, I am now in the better safe than sorry category.
I got no more than a few months of regular use out of all my Tickrs until they started behaving erratically.

I don't think anyone expects years and years, but to not even make 6 months is crap...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com