wattage vs wind vs perceived effort

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

theStig

by theStig

Given a 60 minute effort, i've found my HR to be lower at X watts (not to mention feeling a LOT better) with a tail wind vs the same wattage (but lower speed obviously) and duration with a head wind.

Does that make sense? Is it all psychological?

I'm running a Stages PM FWIW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Probably somewhat psychological.

I think it may have to do with the types of efforts. Riding into a significant wind is kind of like riding uphill. You probably have a lower cadence and are grinding it out a bit. It requires muscular endurance. Riding with a tail wind is probably a higher cadence effort plus moving extra fast with the benefit of a tail wind just feels good.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Flywheel momentum. Your pedal stroke / muscle activation differs at high wheel speed vs low wheel speed. The power phases are shorter at speed, centered on the peak power phase. This results in heavier quad and glut usage and less calf usage.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I listened to a podcast a while ago and they said breathing or getting oxygen in in a headwind is more difficult physiologically. They mentioned a study and gave reasons, but i forgot the details. Think the study was about running and CO2 being pushed back into the lung when exhaling making the gas exchange less efficient.