Shoe lasts

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jasjas

by jasjas

Just changed from a relatively flat last/sole (NW) to a far more curved one (Sidi sixty)

I ve been using the sidi's for recovery rides as i fine tuned the cleat position to match the NW's but today used them in the 2nd block of some vo2 max pyramid workouts (erg on trainer)
i found that the 2nd set i held the power, as before but my cadence was higher than during the 1st set with the NW's, from exp i would have expected to be more fatigued and see cadence drop, not increase.

Was this just "wow all that money spent on new shoes and i'm better than ever" or does the shoe shape make any real difference?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’m not surprised. You can definitely fatigue your skeletal muscle before your heart in vo2max intervals. And if you do that you will find relief at higher cadence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Northwave is also wide and sidi is skinny

jasjas

by jasjas

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:35 pm
Northwave is also wide and sidi is skinny
Older ones yes but the sidi's are actually wider than the NW's

jasjas

by jasjas

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:22 pm
I’m not surprised. You can definitely fatigue your skeletal muscle before your heart in vo2max intervals. And if you do that you will find relief at higher cadence.
You misunderstand, i know that, i can swap between the two shoes and consistently find that for a given power (using ERG on trainer) i have a higher "natural" cadence with the Sidi's, i just seem to pedal more fluidly with the Sidi.

...and the only difference i can see is the shoe last, which is more curved where as the NW is flatter - the cleat is in the same position relative to the ball of the foot.

I guess it must just be me :)