Wahoo Heart Rate Straps issues?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Got the original Tickr and it’s been bombproof (actually had two, one stopped connecting and wasn’t so bombproof), and have just upgraded to a Tickr X.

The Tickr X was rubbish. Would randomly read zero and seemed unable to go any higher than 80 BPM!

Was going to return it then changed the strap on the Tickr X to my original half destroyed Tickr strap and it worked perfectly. So it seems the new Tickr X strap is the issue.

Anyone else having problems with the Tickr X strap? I see Wahoo has a replacement strap for sale on their site but looks to my eye like the one that comes in the Tickr X box, though one reviewer said it’s better than the one that comes with it.

Any ideas especially if you know a way to get the strap working well (apart from just wetting the connectors on the strap!)

What about a cheap strap on Amazon, those worth trying? I’m reluctant to buy Wahoo’s new one when it looks just like the crap one I have - but I do need a new strap soon, my old one really is on its last legs even though it works perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Email them wahoo are usually excellent at sorting issues

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Shrike

by Shrike

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:04 pm
Email them wahoo are usually excellent at sorting issues

BMC slr01 ultegra Di2
Cheers, did just that and got a reply within minutes. They’re sending me a new strap. Very impressed actually, and a world apart from dealing with Garmin. Have a head unit purchase for Mrs later in the month coming up - think I’ll go for the Bolt just based on that level of CS (yes I am that petty!).

LouisN

by LouisN

My Ticker (standard) worked well for 2 months. Then started to have erratic readings. Wouldn't give more than 100 bpm...then lower...then lower...Sent it back for warranty. I'm using my chinese ANT+ strap (6 yrs old+) it's been perfect since the day I bought it ($23.).

Louis :)

Shrike

by Shrike

Did a race on Zwift today (not something I do often by way) and there was a decent 4 minutes ramp-up at the end, though I've had harder 8 minute VO2 efforts outdoors recently too.

Heart rate hit 185bpm on the new Tickr X, using my old Tickr v1 strap.

I haven't seen anything over 173ish on the old Tickr v1 I've been using this year and VO2 workouts sometimes struggle to hit 170. I was thinking maybe I'm fatigued (which would be odd as I intentionally focus on staying fresh with lots of Z1 polarised riding instead, and I've been eating and sleeping better than ever this year.

You think it's possible the old Tickr v1 sensor actually reads lower than the new Tickr X sensor?

Never really thought about the sensor reading a bit low until now - but it could explain why I've been believing my max HR is really low for over a year now! Used to see 190bpm on the Garmin a few years back, but since going Wahoo it's incredibly rare to even see 180.. more I type and think about it, the more I'm wondering why I didn't consider this before.. I was just putting it down to getting older, though the drop is maybe a bit dramatic come to think of it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My HRmax is legitimately around 173bpm, but I’m also a bit of an outlier. You may also want to try another strap…The Polar Pro Soft Strap is comfier than any other strap on the market and should work with the button snaps on the TICKR X.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I had some issues with my Tickr2 after my original Tickr strap broke. They sent a new strap two different times insisting it was the strap, but they finally ended up sending me a replacement pod. That, along with a software revision shortly after, it was good as new. Added bonus, they sent me a few extra straps and they worked well on my old Tickr so I have a backup now.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Mine got flakey. Switched to a Polar

kervelo

by kervelo

If your Wahoo HRM starts giving erratic readings, one easy fix to try is to reset the thing. Open the battery door, remove the battery and install it upside down for a couple of seconds. Then install the battery in the correct way again.

user83843

by user83843

kervelo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:08 pm
If your Wahoo HRM starts giving erratic readings, one easy fix to try is to reset the thing. Open the battery door, remove the battery and install it upside down for a couple of seconds. Then install the battery in the correct way again.
Interesting tip, did not realize this was possible.

user83843

by user83843

I occasionally saw graph flatlines until I began to clean the strap sensors weekly, but this thread is a reminder to compare max and avg hr readings between my chest strap (Wahoo Tickr basic) and Apple watch SE.

You probably already saw this but just in case:
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... -Can-I-Do-

boots2000

by boots2000

MIne seemed to all stop working at same time. In short- They suck. Wahoo only offered me a discount on a new one since I didn't keep my receipt.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I had issues with two Tickrs that I have. They would read 138 or 88 the whole time I was riding, no matter my level of exertion. I saw a suggestion to update the firmware - which Wahoo has great instructions on doing on their site - and in the week since I did that, they have worked flawlessly. I hope it lasts since I'd just bought four replacement straps for them!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:57 am
I had issues with two Tickrs that I have. They would read 138 or 88 the whole time I was riding, no matter my level of exertion. I saw a suggestion to update the firmware - which Wahoo has great instructions on doing on their site - and in the week since I did that, they have worked flawlessly. I hope it lasts since I'd just bought four replacement straps for them!
Well the firmware update reprieve didn't last more than three rides. These things are going in the trash. Polar H9 or H10 it will be. I've heard that they are solid.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Are these problems when using indoor trainers or on the road?

BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry