Indoor Training Bikes | Advice Needed

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on indoor training bikes if possible.

My wife is looking for an indoor trainer and would primarily use it for exercise classes (like Pelaton, iFit, Bkool Fitness etc.). I currently have a Wahoo Kickr Core that I use with the Bkool Cycling app and love it.

What I'm looking for is an indoor training bike that would potentially do both, something like the Zycle that has automatic resistance change, power meter etc. https://zycle.eu/en/products/zbike/#highlights

This would allow me to sell the Kickr Core and we would both share the indoor training bike, my wife for fitness/spin classes and myself for training rides on a cycling app (Zwift/Rouvy/Bkool etc.).

The issue is my wife would ideally like a bike with an in-built screen (not really on my priority list), however the ones I've seen that have this are more focussed on fitness classes and are not really compatible with Zwift, Rouvy, Bkool etc. She is also only 150cm so would need something that would fit her size.

Can anyone recommend a few indoor bikes that might fit our needs?

The alternative is I keep my current set-up and my wife gets a dedicated fitness bike, however I'd like to avoid this if possible as space is quite tight so a 'do-it-all' bike would be best if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Olie
Last edited by OlieSimpson on Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EdWiser

by EdWiser

I would just get her a spin bike. It’s two different worlds really. Spin bikes don’t do sim riding.

takolino

by takolino

I second getting a separate bike. A couple of things to consider. First, since you are different sizes, you'll have to change the setting every time you switch. Also, if you both ever want to workout at the same time, you'll have to flip a coin. My wife and I often workout at the same time but this may not be an issue for you. Fortunately for me, she uses a treadmill.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

EdWiser wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:01 pm
I would just get her a spin bike. It’s two different worlds really. Spin bikes don’t do sim riding.

As you said, two different worlds. Spinbikes are fixed gear and don't coast. They also generally have a wide q-factor for all the weird single leg / standing drills instructors have people do.

If two people are looking at a compromise, I would ditch the spinbike option, which includes stuff like Peloton hardware. You can get by with a Peloton sub and a real smartbike like a Stages SB20. <-- This is the only smartbike I'd consider right now even though I'm in the middle of an extended test that's uncovering some, uh, major firmware power accuracy issues.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

takolino wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:20 am
I second getting a separate bike. A couple of things to consider. First, since you are different sizes, you'll have to change the setting every time you switch. Also, if you both ever want to workout at the same time, you'll have to flip a coin. My wife and I often workout at the same time but this may not be an issue for you. Fortunately for me, she uses a treadmill.

Adjusting the contact point X/Y on smartbikes takes seconds if you have the sliders marked or simply remember the values. That in itself is a total non-issue as long as they can get by on the same saddle, bar width and crank length.