Road Racing and Strength Training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lewn777

by Lewn777

BrianRR wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:45 pm
Hey guys.

I'm about to start cycling again after years of not doing so. I am a road cyclist but I would like to gain muscles. My goals are to gain up to 75 Kg and to get stronger, 2xBW Squat, 2.5 BW Deadlift.

I usually ride 25+hours a week and could train 4 days in the gym. My goal for next year is a 4 day tour and a lot of crits. So I have to be fast and explosive.

My current stats:

BW: 70 Kg
Height: 178 cm
Squats: 100 kg 3x5
Deadlift: 110 kg 3x5
Bench: 65 kg 3x5
OHP: 45 kg 3x5

What strength program should I do? Does anyone have experience with both?

Also I usually burn 4500 calories a day. What does a 4500 calorie meal plan look like? Any carbs recommendations?

Thanks in advance
I really wouldn't want to gain any weight, even muscle weight for general cycling, but as you seem into crits you should be fine.

Concentrate on a valid cardio program like some kind of FTP booster program, look at something maybe by trainer road. If you don't have an indoor trainer and/or power meter get one and try some of those Zwift crits and racing, they really teach you your level and help you with high intensity workouts, ideal as you can ride at night and without annoying family too much that you can fit around work Remember a proportion of people on Zwift are weight doping or cheating in some other way, don't worry about that as IRL you'll be even better. Try to optimize your FTP and watts per KG, then a few days a week you could do additional core strength training and then additional upper body training although I would be tempted to lose fat if possible and gain muscle and stay at your lighter 70kg weight, with cycling you're really aiming for that smaller 'cut' Bruce Lee look but with better defined/larger legs.

Diet wise I would have a high carb mostly whole-food plant-based diet with occasional lean white meats and maybe eggs. Then maybe have post-workout protein supplements after weight training. Mostly it's about determination and adequate time/dedication.

Defo check out Dylan Johnson's videos on YouTube, he really knows his stuff.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Double post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com