Pain on inside of knee

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wilwil

by wilwil

The inside of my right knee is becoming increasingly more painful when cycling. Its the first episode of knee pain since I started serious cycling 13 years ago. It tends to increase over the course of a ride. The only the reasons I can find online are saddle height and cleat position, neither of which Ive changed. Any ideas?

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Is it the knee joint itself or under the patella?

If under the patella that is typically it not tracking correctly due to a muscle imbalance. A PT can get you back on track quickly.

Regardless, go see someone and don't try to power through it as it will only get worse. Ask me how I know...

Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

Thanks. I think its the knee joint

c60rider

by c60rider

There's so many anatomical structures that are in the vicinity of the inside of the knee that could be the source of the pain. Internal structures of the knee such as a degeneratively frayed/torn meniscus can also refer to inside part of the knee joint. That's something that would knee scanning for. But it could be something that's often overlooked by many to be as simple as a bursa related to the pes anserinus. This is a junction of a few structures that are just below the knee joint line on the inside of the knee. This is a much simpler to solve problem with just a bit of local ice, rest, lighter gears/spinning lighter, and it might start to resolve over 2-3 weeks before gradually increasing load again from there. More serious cases where they've become quite chronic may even need an injection into it. It's worth exploring all the possible options yourself but even many PTs don't even consider the pes anserinus as they've often forgotten what it is and some don't even know it! As long as there's nothing else changed in your set up that might have caused it or a sudden change in training intensity. You can google it and see where it is on images then pretty much poke it with a thumb and it should be pretty tender locally! A bursa does typically get worse over time as it gets inflamed which is what you've described. If that matches your pain area of course.

kode54

by kode54

Meniscus?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Have you considered that your fit has been slightly or wildly wrong the whole time and it’s just that your body has gotten less tolerant of it with time?

wilwil

by wilwil

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:12 am
Have you considered that your fit has been slightly or wildly wrong the whole time and it’s just that your body has gotten less tolerant of it with time?
I have considered this. Ive had three worthwhile bike fits over the years and they all came out very similar within a few mm of each other. The last fit they also made me insoles.

jcm1406

by jcm1406

Inside knee pain could well be caused by a tight/overworked adductor. One solution to that would be trying to loosen it off. If it is overworked then it usually means that the glutes on the outside aren't working properly, so strengthening them would be a good start. I usually do side-lying straight leg raises and side-lying single leg cycling of the leg. Then some very small squats with a swiss ball up against the wall on the opposite hip making sure to push the ball into the wall. Then maybe some single leg squats making sure that hips stay level and knee tracks straight. Good luck

wilwil

by wilwil

Thanks. Is it possible that too much arch support could cause it? Bike fitters always want to make you custom insoles or sell you G8s and Im wondering if they could be the cause even though Im flat footed when I stand. I once tried some well known German insoles and the pain in my feet was so great I had to remove them and finsih the ride with no insoles. That was before the knee problem. Credit to the company – they refunded me.

jcm1406

by jcm1406

wilwil wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:08 pm
Thanks. Is it possible that too much arch support could cause it? Bike fitters always want to make you custom insoles or sell you G8s and Im wondering if they could be the cause even though Im flat footed when I stand. I once tried some well known German insoles and the pain in my feet was so great I had to remove them and finsih the ride with no insoles. That was before the knee problem. Credit to the company – they refunded me.
Yes for sure... I've had a similar experience with fitters, although I have very high arches, so actually need the support. If you're looking for another bike fit and in the UK, I'd highly recommend John at Physiohaus. I just had an online fit and it far exceeded my expectations. Fairly basic, but to the point and no gimmicks. I felt far better immediately after the fit and various pains were resolved.
I'd say it is a potential cause, as it would raise the inside of your foot up, stressing the adductor more and pulling on the inside of the knee. But as with most things there are multiple causes. If it is the adductor pulling on the inside of the knee, then it is most probably because its overworked, due to weak glute muscles. So I'd probably start with trying to strengthen the glute med. It may not fix the problem but isn't going to harm it.

osw000

by osw000

This article covers all the causes and sets some basics to start self-assesing and correcting.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... knee-pain/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com