What trainer do you use for your Aethos?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AethosOnTurbo

by AethosOnTurbo

Hello,

I recently bought the Aethos and have been loving riding it outside.

I am looking to get a trainer for winter and I tried my friends Wahoo Kickr and I couldn't get it to fit :( .

Is anyone using the Wahoo Kickr or Tacx Neo with their Aethos? How does it fit?

(I note that on the Wahoo webpage there is no mention of Aethos incompatability, but maybe it has not been reported? https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... patibility)

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

I have an Aethos and a Tacx Neo 2T, the two shall never meet. The Aethos will stay in the house and the Neo will remain in the garage/pain cave with a Cervelo P2 mounted to it. The Aethos is far too nice to subject to the turbo and it won't get me up the pretend virtual hills any quicker 😂

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you can afford an Aethos, you can afford a spare bike to park on the trainer permanently...or a Stages Smartbike SB20 or KICKR Bike.

I actually go hard on the trainer and sweat profusely in the process. No amount of care can win the battle against corrosion. I utilize all the tools available. I have a sweatcatcher, I have 3 high-powered fans, I wear a sweatband, I spray a waxy protectant on my frame and fasteners, I wipe the bike down, I leave the fans running. My FD cage, stem/steerer clamp bolts, STI shifters, Hollowtech steel crank spindle, etc. are still rusting.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

What exactly is the thing which "does not fit"? If you have the axles right, the only thing could be the rear caliper? In that case, you can't really do anything.

On the other hand, I'm 100% with what Tobin said. For the trainer, the most crappy bike fits as long as you have working rear shifting. You don't need the brakes, front shifting, or, with some DIY engineering, even the front wheel. I run no bar tape either (because there is going to be a towel over the front of the bike anyway).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:16 am
What exactly is the thing which "does not fit"? If you have the axles right, the only thing could be the rear caliper? In that case, you can't really do anything.

On the other hand, I'm 100% with what Tobin said. For the trainer, the most crappy bike fits as long as you have working rear shifting. You don't need the brakes, front shifting, or, with some DIY engineering, even the front wheel. I run no bar tape either (because there is going to be a towel over the front of the bike anyway).

Lol, I'm the same. One side has no bar tape, the other has bar tape that is completely worn through. Every single braze-on on the aluminum paint is corroding and causing the paint around it to bubble.

hartox

by hartox

AethosOnTurbo

by AethosOnTurbo

WouldLikeToBeLighter wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:12 pm
I have an Aethos and a Tacx Neo 2T, the two shall never meet. The Aethos will stay in the house and the Neo will remain in the garage/pain cave with a Cervelo P2 mounted to it. The Aethos is far too nice to subject to the turbo and it won't get me up the pretend virtual hills any quicker 😂

Do you know if the Aethos could fit on the Tacx?

AethosOnTurbo

by AethosOnTurbo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:30 am
If you can afford an Aethos, you can afford a spare bike to park on the trainer permanently...or a Stages Smartbike SB20 or KICKR Bike.

I actually go hard on the trainer and sweat profusely in the process. No amount of care can win the battle against corrosion. I utilize all the tools available. I have a sweatcatcher, I have 3 high-powered fans, I wear a sweatband, I spray a waxy protectant on my frame and fasteners, I wipe the bike down, I leave the fans running. My FD cage, stem/steerer clamp bolts, STI shifters, Hollowtech steel crank spindle, etc. are still rusting.
I hear you. I looked at the Kickr bike but like the idea of being able to pack the trainer away

AethosOnTurbo

by AethosOnTurbo

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:16 am

It would not sit flush

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

AethosOnTurbo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:52 pm
WouldLikeToBeLighter wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:12 pm
No idea if it would fit, but I suspect the rear caliper my foul the Neo casing. My CAAD12 doesn't fit but that's in a 135mm rear axle but the Aethos is a 142mm so it may work, but I'm
Never going to try it.

Do you know if the Aethos could fit on the Tacx?

pmprego

by pmprego

I know of someone using exclusively for ERG mode and using it as a single speed. Not even shifters he has.

Basscadet

by Basscadet

pmprego wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:47 pm
I know of someone using exclusively for ERG mode and using it as a single speed. Not even shifters he has.
Using an Aethos with a Neo 2T?

pmprego

by pmprego

Basscadet wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:18 pm
pmprego wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:47 pm
Using an Aethos with a Neo 2T?
Hell no!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Neo is one of the worst trainers for disc-brake compatibility. The KICKR is probably the best. With the KICKR, the are endcap compatibility issues with some dropouts and it is entirely a Wahoo problem, not the bike manufacturers'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Basscadet

by Basscadet

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:03 am
The Neo is one of the worst trainers for disc-brake compatibility. The KICKR is probably the best. With the KICKR, the are endcap compatibility issues with some dropouts and it is entirely a Wahoo problem, not the bike manufacturers'
I don't doubt what you have written here but so far I have had 4 disc brake bikes from Cannondale (Topstone), Trek (Checkpoint), Canyon (ultimate clx), and my Open UP all on my 2T without any issues. These are all Shimano brake bikes, so maybe that has something to do with it.