Used power meters

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

I’m looking into getting my first power meter. I’ve been looking at face to assigns Duos for a while now. I want something pedal bases that I can easily switch between bikes. My lbs told me that I shouldn’t consider buying used but I don’t understand why. Does anyone have a good reason for buying new instead of used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maddie

by Maddie

Nothing wrong with buying a used unit as long as it's not very old. Just consider that there may be no warranty. That's the advantage of buying new.
No surprise that your LBS wants you to sell a new pair of PM pedals

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Tbh I'm not a fan of buying second hand electrical products too many issues and the 2nd band prices of things are usually still very high.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Because people realise they have an inaccurate unit and recoup their losses in the second hand market....

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Nothing wrong with buying second hand, but I would only do it if the discount compared to new is very significant, otherwise it's better to have a warranty just to be sure.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

My first one was used, worked great

AJS914

by AJS914

petromyzon wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:07 am
Because people realise they have an inaccurate unit and recoup their losses in the second hand market....
That could be a possibility. Buy used from a team mate or friend where you can try it first. Or buy from eBay where you get a "doesn't work right' return priviledge.

If one wants to get started inexpensively, I'd just get a 4iiii or a Stages.

nickf

by nickf

I picked up a used stages gen 3 gxp left arm. No issues. Like anything used you could get a bad deal just purchase with some form of protection, ebay, paypal goods&services.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:59 pm
I’m looking into getting my first power meter. I’ve been looking at face to assigns Duos for a while now. I want something pedal bases that I can easily switch between bikes. My lbs told me that I shouldn’t consider buying used but I don’t understand why. Does anyone have a good reason for buying new instead of used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've bought 2 used. Both were 6+ years old and worked as perfect. If they light up and conenct, they are almost always perfect. They tend to run till they don't run anymore. Having said that, as of current, the prices usually aren't right. The best (only) deals are on whole cranksets and then you sell off the rings and crankset.I'd recommend searching Facebook Pictures for the best deal, as you'll be able to see all the local buy/sell/trade groups. Just search and restrict pictures to the last month. Unless you've got a good reason, a Shimano crankarm is about as portable as a set of pedals.

usr

by usr

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:13 pm
That could be a possibility. Buy used from a team mate or friend where you can try it first. Or buy from eBay where you get a "doesn't work right' return priviledge.
But with powermeters in particular there's a bit of a quality gradient issue: if you don't get a signal on your had unit it's nicely clear cut, but if the signal is there all right but you suspect the data might be wonky you'll be in for an endless ordeal of suspicion. I believe that a large part of why powermeters prices are in the high end of hundreds instead of the low end is because of all the handholding that is required because real problems are so hard to distribution from imagined (on both sides of the transaction)

joeeboh

by joeeboh

I've bought lightly used 4iiiis with no issues, although I have not checked for accuracy against any measure.

Probably best to stick to one power meter at any one time as I've heard that there are big accuracy variances between units

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com