Heart palpitations

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Sometimes right after a 100km of riding hard i get heart palpitations (heart beating fast but not strong or skipped beats) for like 15-20 min and then it settles down.

If i do like 60 km ride with climb efforts its all right no palpitations.

Its really after a long ride

No pain,no passing out,no dizziness, just really uncomfortable.

I do consume alcohol every week,i sleep about 6h-6h30 night

Anyone had this?

Last edited by Mcdeez on Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I have no medical background, but given the frequency with which endurance athletes develop atrial fibrillation (aka A fib), this would be the first thing I would have checked out. I have A Fib, and my HR monitor shows 240 bpm during episodes. If it is A Fib (and it may not be of course), the problem is that blood pools in the atrium, and that can lead to clots that then get sent out into the circulation when the atrium starts pumping normally. Im my opinion, it is worth talking to a doctor. I had my first episodes when I was 48.
Factor Ostro

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

My heart beat dont go to 200bpm.When im done and i sit down right away after the ride sometimes it just goes to 110-120 and it stays for a few minutes and it goes down or i get some missed heart beats that makes me cough and it goes away

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wear a HRM and try to record the cardiac event.

I have SVT. Like fruitfly, my HR can hit 230bpm if triggered. Usually it happens during the recovery period after a very intense effort during my rides. I'll be softpedaling at 120W and my HR will jump instantly from 90bpm to 170bpm, sit there for 30s to 120s, then instantly return to 90bpm. It feels like a flutter inside my chest.

Also keep in mind when reading replies in this thread that HR is individual. Outside of electrical signaling issues, my HRmax is ~172bpm.

Isolated skipped beats or desynchronized/premature valve contractions generally aren't anything to worry about. The 120bpm while sitting down doing nothing for a couple minutes sounds similar to what I have. In my case it's not debilitating...sometimes I don't even notice when it happens during rides. I could get an ablation where they cauterize the faulty nerve tissue in my heart, but won't take that step unless the episodes become more frequent and/or longer duration.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

TobinHatesYou wrote:Wear a HRM and try to record the cardiac event.

I have SVT. Like fruitfly, my HR can hit 230bpm if triggered. Usually it happens during the recovery period after a very intense effort during my rides. I'll be softpedaling at 120W and my HR will jump instantly from 90bpm to 170bpm, sit there for 30s to 120s, then instantly return to 90bpm. It feels like a flutter inside my chest.

Also keep in mind when reading replies in this thread that HR is individual. Outside of electrical signaling issues, my HRmax is ~172bpm.

Isolated skipped beats or desynchronized/premature valve contractions generally aren't anything to worry about. The 120bpm while sitting down doing nothing for a couple minutes sounds similar to what I have. In my case it's not debilitating...sometimes I don't even notice when it happens during rides. I could get an ablation where they cauterize the faulty nerve tissue in my heart, but won't take that step unless the episodes become more frequent and/or longer duration.
Yeah that whats my HR was reading around 115-120bpm and it goes away 15 min later

sychen

by sychen

Definitely get a referal from your GP to see a cardiologist. Just to rule out anything more serious and if it's similar to Tobins issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Yeah for sure, just wanned to know if people here experienced this!

I dont think its dangerous because after it feels fine and it only happens after really hard effort that last long, it doesnt happend when im relaxing or staying home doing stuff, it happen excactly only after riding hard for long period, right when i stop for like 15-20min and it goes normal

velomane

by velomane

Nonetheless, it would be prudent to talk to a physician about it.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

velomane wrote:Nonetheless, it would be prudent to talk to a physician about it.
Yes will do

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Did a 60 km ride with 1500m of climbs,the average heart rate was higher(climbing at higher intesity) than when i do a 100km flat ride at aroud 33kmh

No palpitations,nothing.

Im thinking its the nutrition or dehydration because a 100 km lasts longer and in the longrun something is missing because i dont eat much during the 100 km rides,only drink water and some candys and bars

the jackel

by the jackel

Ive had several episodes where I've been riding normally and then heart rate just goes unnaturally high for the effort I'm putting in. There is no pattern re sleep, nutrition, heat etc. I get a heavy/dead leg feeling when it happens and I immediately know to check my rate. It just self resolves after 20-30minutes.

I'd definitely not just put it down to nutrition. Get yourself a check up and likely a cardiology referral.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

the jackel wrote:Ive had several episodes where I've been riding normally and then heart rate just goes unnaturally high for the effort I'm putting in. There is no pattern re sleep, nutrition, heat etc. I get a heavy/dead leg feeling when it happens and I immediately know to check my rate. It just self resolves after 20-30minutes.

I'd definitely not just put it down to nutrition. Get yourself a check up and likely a cardiology referral.
5he thing is its never during riding or effort , its after the ride,sometimes!

What did your cardiologist said?

the jackel

by the jackel

I've never had it after a ride but I've had it five minutes into a zone 1 ride as well as at other random moments/effort levels but always on the bike.

Cardiologist thought it was a SVT. Couldn't reproduce it on a stress test, gave him all my HR files from the occasions it happened etc. Basic conclusion, you can have an ablation if it becomes an issue otherwise best left alone. Haven't had an episode in over year and I'm riding more, generally exercising more and have pushed my FTP up about 8%. Diet, nutrition and lifestyle in general remain unchanged.

It's probably nothing (in both out cases) but it's worth being assessed. I work in the medical field so have first hand experience of what happens when things are left unchecked, it's just not worth ignoring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com