Been crazy out on my local roads recently, makes me consider hanging up the bike

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Toybota

by Toybota

Different area but similar experience.
Hence I made a switch to XC/Trail MTN biking.
Different type of risk but I like my chances versus stupid drivers squeezing me out of the road.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Getting smoked by a Cadillac SRX going 80kmh, while doing intervals on a quiet country road, was what made me switch to MTB.

When I eat shit and get hurt now, it’s entirely on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

The problem is with driver attitude. They just think cyclists shouldn't be there and that the road was made for and paid for by them. I am constantly astounded by the blind corner overtakes, blind hill overtakes and unbroken white line overtakes even overtaking on pedestrian crossings. Driving is worse than it's ever been with people literally using their phones while driving and not paying attention, where the police fail to scratch even the surface of the problem. The self entitlement of some drivers is also worse than ever, for some reason the drivers of expensive black SUVs are particularly narcissistic.

What I would do is give with one hand and take with the other, make some major trunk roads that are honestly too dangerous anyhow not accessible for cyclists but at the same time make a proper network of colored shell grip surfaced lanes and routes that run near railway lines and in existing rural lanes, like the best city cycle lanes, which then actually go somewhere else and connect cities in a coherent manner to be able to use with actual numbers and proper signs and motorized vehicle not accessible or access or farm access only, and cycling integrated with other transport systems particularly rail. Convert some existing roads and maybe build a few new ones in a low impact non environmentally damaging way. We have some cycle only trails in the UK on some of the disused railway branch lines and they are packed with cyclists and families with kids cycling especially at the weekend, so the concept is valid.

With cycling it must be made safe enough for a family with young kids to be able to use or simply 95% of people are to scared to ride. Build proper cycle routes and the users will come.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Since I started this thread, I have been avoiding the trouble spots as much as possible and mostly enjoying my riding again with less aggrivation from drivers (touch wood).

Heading out into West Sussex and the South Downs and the Meon valley area more than North towards Guildford and it so much better and the scenery is cracking as well. Feel lucky to have these areas near me actually, as there are some really nice climbs even though they are not long.

I mean I have always done these routes, but also stuck to my loops which are am now mostly forgoing.

Bit happier and not quit yet!!

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:50 pm
The problem is with driver attitude. They just think cyclists shouldn't be there and that the road was made for and paid for by them. I am constantly astounded by the blind corner overtakes, blind hill overtakes and unbroken white line overtakes even overtaking on pedestrian crossings. Driving is worse than it's ever been with people literally using their phones while driving and not paying attention, where the police fail to scratch even the surface of the problem. The self entitlement of some drivers is also worse than ever, for some reason the drivers of expensive black SUVs are particularly narcissistic.

What I would do is give with one hand and take with the other, make some major trunk roads that are honestly too dangerous anyhow not accessible for cyclists but at the same time make a proper network of colored shell grip surfaced lanes and routes that run near railway lines and in existing rural lanes, like the best city cycle lanes, which then actually go somewhere else and connect cities in a coherent manner to be able to use with actual numbers and proper signs and motorized vehicle not accessible or access or farm access only, and cycling integrated with other transport systems particularly rail. Convert some existing roads and maybe build a few new ones in a low impact non environmentally damaging way. We have some cycle only trails in the UK on some of the disused railway branch lines and they are packed with cyclists and families with kids cycling especially at the weekend, so the concept is valid.

With cycling it must be made safe enough for a family with young kids to be able to use or simply 95% of people are to scared to ride. Build proper cycle routes and the users will come.

That would be nice but in reality doesn't change anything for serious cyclists, you can't ride fast or in groups on those kinds of trails or protected bike lanes, so you still end up having to ride on the road with the cars. :noidea:

Lewn777

by Lewn777

MoPho wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:38 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:50 pm

That would be nice but in reality doesn't change anything for serious cyclists, you can't ride fast or in groups on those kinds of trails or protected bike lanes, so you still end up having to ride on the road with the cars. :noidea:
Depends entirely on the width available. 2-3 meters is enough. I still think in general terms the most important thing is for the average family with kids to be able to have a viable sustainable and healthy alternative to slavishly going everywhere by car. If that means the road isn't ideal for my cycle club I could live with it. I have friends at work who live in different towns, some of them simply can't cycle to work without running the gauntlet of hostile aggressive motorists, there are no back lanes, let alone cycle lanes or routes.