Smart bikes

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

My wife is planning to get cycling and I want to create an indoor training setup we both can use. I am 5'10" (178 cm), wife is 5'4" (162.5 cm).

Was looking at either the tacx neo smart bike or the wahoo kickr bike. Can't really decide, any thoughts on which one would work best for two people to share?

(Tried searching this forum for prior posts but didn't find any, apologies if this topic has come up before)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stages SmartBike SB20, especially for someone 5'4" who might bang their knees against the top bar of the KICKR Bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EdWiser

by EdWiser

I use a Kickr bike and ride it everyday of the week. Great ride I use it on Rouvy, Zwift and Veloton. The whole hitting your knees on the center top tube is fake news. On Kickr bike forums this is never even brought up as an issue.
Love the ability to change gearing set ups for different riding courses.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

i have a Stages SB20, bought because my wife and I are very different sizes, and it is very quick to change over depending on who is using it.

Most reviews comment on the benefits of not having a wide top bar in the SB20 vs other trainers, but I have no experience with other trainers.....
Factor Ostro

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

EdWiser wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:02 am
I use a Kickr bike and ride it everyday of the week. Great ride I use it on Rouvy, Zwift and Veloton. The whole hitting your knees on the center top tube is fake news. On Kickr bike forums this is never even brought up as an issue.
Love the ability to change gearing set ups for different riding courses.

And yet Ray Maker brings it up in his review. People bang their knees on narrower bicycle TTs, so it's not fake news just because it doesn't happen to you. Someone who is 5'4" is roughly 9% shorter than the average adult male. They likely have a narrower stance-width as well.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

It just doesn’t come up in the discussion on the Kickr bike group. Lots of other things come up but not knees hitting the center bar. His review is really old now. An was a first impression when the bike first came out. Do you have a Kickr bike?
I have 2000 miles on one.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

EdWiser wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:11 pm
It just doesn’t come up in the discussion on the Kickr bike group. Lots of other things come up but not knees hitting the center bar. His review is really old now. An was a first impression when the bike first came out. Do you have a Kickr bike?
I have 2000 miles on one.

The design of the KICKR Bike has not changed since release, so who cares if it’s an old review? Also if he noticed the TT / knee interference in a “First Impression” review, then that just means it didn’t take very long to make that observation.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

The stages bike is the one that most high end gyms buy. Have you checked availability on these yet? The only person I know with a Tacx bike uses it a lot and likes it. But he has had constant issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

mcfarton wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:40 am
The stages bike is the one that most high end gyms buy. Have you checked availability on these yet? The only person I know with a Tacx bike uses it a lot and likes it. But he has had constant issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know a few places that have the tacx and wahoo bikes in stock. No idea about the stages.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

So for the benefit of the WW community, I tracked down a shop in my area that had both the tacx and wahoo bikes in stock. Wife and I tried them out. As far as thigh rub, it was really bad on the tacx and was a total deal breaker. Not much of an issue on the wahoo, it only happened when I lost focus and sat upright, think about how you might pedal while writing a text vs doing an interval. The climb feature and the wahoo cockpit were also great. Will be picking up my wahoo this weekend.
Last edited by RideRunSwim on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

That is good love my Kickr bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com