Help me build an awesome Zwift set-up

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Is the new Mac Mini with an M1 chip a good option to get high end graphics? The new Apple tv seems to be a lame update accoriding to many reviewers. Also I assume I need a gaming level tv to get better results?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Zwift graphics is kind of lame. I also beta test Veloton and their graphics is closer to computer games. Since it is based on a computer game Pro Cycling Manager.
Wouldn’t spend a lot of money on Zwift graphics.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Is the new Mac Mini with an M1 chip a good option to get high end graphics? The new Apple tv seems to be a lame update accoriding to many reviewers. Also I assume I need a gaming level tv to get better results?

Not yet. None of the M1 Macs have been assigned a graphics profile and they are currently running are "medium" settings.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:34 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:51 pm

Not yet. None of the M1 Macs have been assigned a graphics profile and they are currently running are "medium" settings.
Apparently its doing quite well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgArppU1B1I
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Lewn777

by Lewn777

As said before Zwift just doesn't have good enough graphics to be able to utilize a high end system. Having said that it can look dreadful on Android phones and older ipads. What Zwift does do well is run on many os old and new. I think the programmers are going for universal versatility not appearance, for that, they should be commended. Sure leaves a big gap in the market for anything realistic though.

I think any system that could be considered on par with a PS5 would be as much as you'd ever need for Zwift at the moment

AndySti

by AndySti

I use my iMac (late 2015) and run an HDMI cable to a 43" TV. Works great. Graphics and picture are good. I have an Ant+ dongle on an extension to sit under my bike to get the PM data.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Dedicated Zwift PC (Dell 3020, i3 4th gen, SSD, GT 1030). Cost was less than an AppleTV4K (new or used). Better game graphics than ATV4K, no Bluetooth device limitations, and graphic card is upgradeable.

System is rock-solid and I have never lost a ride or ANT+ connection. Boots up and ready to ride in less time than I can put on my shoes, get phone on mount, and put towel over bars.

For more info, go see the Zwift PC Master Race group on Facebook. Everything you need to know is in their Files section.

eeney

by eeney

I have use an old, 2nd hand Dell laptop, runs Zwift really well, and was cheap. Then I have a 32" TV as a second screen. With this setup you can have zwift on one screen and something else on the other, eg. youtube, netflix, or just net browsing. Plus you can use your phone for companion app, music, etc.

I have a cheap standing desk in front of the bike so I can type on the laptop during group rides.

Having a dedicated setup where you just turn on and start riding makes it easier to train.... reduces the excuses and time