Help me build an awesome Zwift set-up

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I'm building a pain cave and plan on using Zwift. I'm a Mac guy and would like to know the advantage/disadvantages of a Mac, iPad, Apple TV, against each other? The Wahoo Kickr will be my main trainer.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:21 pm
I'm building a pain cave and plan on using Zwift. I'm a Mac guy and would like to know the advantage/disadvantages of a Mac, iPad, Apple TV, against each other? A 42-50" 4K smart tv will be the main display unit.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Just get an AppleTV. Really simple and easy to use.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

EdWiser wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:46 pm
To run off a Mac or smart tv?

grover

by grover

AppleTV just plugs in with an HDMI cable. Can be any old TV or monitor. It's really simple.
Disadvantage is only two native bluetooth connections. If you want more sensors paired you have to pair to pair to smartphone/ipad and run through the zwift companion app. I find interaction using the AppleTV remote a bit clunky so companion app is a must use. That said, AppleTV is how I use Zwift now.

Ipad/Iphone disadvantage is screen size. You can plug into a TV or monitor with a lightning to hdmi adapter. I actually found this really simple. Keep the phone close at hand to interact with Zwift like using powerups. Quick to get started. I stopped doing this way and bought appleTV because I didn't have another handset to use the companion app. It was also annoying to not have access to phone while on Zwift. Need to put on do not disturb.

Mac/PC I found to be slowest to get started. Boot computer, open Zwift, wait to load. Maybe my computer is just old and slow. To get Zwift performing well it needs to be quite a good computer. Much more expensive than a smartphone or AppleTV. If you already have a computer that runs Zwift well it's probably the best way to do it. But screen size may still be small so again need to plug into TV.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I use an Apple TV, but I'm also not fussed about graphics. It really is the simplest, most reliable option.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

I use a PC for my zwift set-up with a 40" 4K TV.
The PC has a SSD and is dedicated to Zwift/Suff, booting up is basically instant, then 30 seconds or so to load zwift.

PC cost me £100 (SFF ex corporate machine, SSD, i5 processor), stuck a 4gb GTX 1060 graphics card (£100) and 16gb of RAM (£50 max) and it runs at 4k and 60fps.

From what I read on the Zwift facebook group, there are endless issues with Apple TV and it's restricted to bluetooth only.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Noctiluxx wrote:
EdWiser wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:46 pm
To run off a Mac or smart tv?
You are confusing the AppleTV video app for shows and movies with the AppleTV box. Where the AppleTV app is just an aggregator app of shows you watch.
The AppleTV box let’s you install all kinds of app’s just like a iPhone or iPad.
They just came out with a new model that also has a new remote that many people will like. I have three AppleTV’s in the house.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Can you describe what Mac you anticipate using? You may want to look up Zwiftalizer, to compare resolution outputs. However, if graphics are not your primary concern, then an AppleTV will probably be your best option. In fact, DCRainmaker's most recent article on the AppleTV (here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/05/zwi ... erent.html) has a good write-up on the old vs. new device. Also, 2 BT connections will probably be enough, if you're willing to use the PM in your Wahoo, thus eliminating the need to run the companion app.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Dannnnn wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:01 am

From what I read on the Zwift facebook group, there are endless issues with Apple TV and it's restricted to bluetooth only.

Issues, like what? Okay sure, the remote sucks, but that’s about it. All smart trainers transmit power/cadence/control over BT and so do most HRMs. If your HRM is ANT+ only, they only cost ~$50. Unless you also have something like a Sterzo Smart, you won’t afoul of the current 2 connection limit.

If anything the Apple TV has always had fewer issues than other setups. I never get sensor dropouts because Apple hires actual radio engineers to design their antennae and enclosures. Also BT is a far more robust communications protocol with error detection and active frequency hopping. ANT+ operates on a SINGLE 1MHz wide frequency and uses crazy fast time-based multiplexing to talk to all your devices.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:48 pm
Can you describe what Mac you anticipate using? You may want to look up Zwiftalizer, to compare resolution outputs. However, if graphics are not your primary concern, then an AppleTV will probably be your best option. In fact, DCRainmaker's most recent article on the AppleTV (here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/05/zwi ... erent.html) has a good write-up on the old vs. new device. Also, 2 BT connections will probably be enough, if you're willing to use the PM in your Wahoo, thus eliminating the need to run the companion app.

Wahoo trainers (and also Elite) have trainer-level power-match. All he’d have to do to is enter his PM ANT+ ID into the appropriate box on the mobile app.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:43 pm
Dannnnn wrote:

Issues, like what? Okay sure, the remote sucks, but that’s about it. All smart trainers transmit power/cadence/control over BT and so do most HRMs. If your HRM is ANT+ only, they only cost ~$50. Unless you also have something like a Sterzo Smart, you won’t afoul of the current 2 connection limit.

If anything the Apple TV has always had fewer issues than other setups. I never get sensor dropouts because Apple hires actual radio engineers to design their antennae and enclosures. Also BT is a far more robust communications protocol with error detection and active frequency hopping. ANT+ operates on a SINGLE 1MHz wide frequency and uses crazy fast time-based multiplexing to talk to all your devices.
Mainly issues with the software and connectivity.
I don't tend to read them a whole lot as it's not something I need to get involved with as I use a PC.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Dannnnn wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:

I don't tend to read them a whole lot as it's not something I need to get involved with as I use a PC.

FUD by a PC user I own 3 AppleTV’s and have used them all on Zwift and Rouvy never a problem. I also use a MacBook Pro with Zwift and Rouvy.
And run Win 10 in boot camp to run Veloton, Zwift and Rouvy.
Problems people have are down to their basic set up. I beta test for the cycling platforms so I run Ant+ and Bluetooth on each one to check out releases.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yep, ignorance --> FUD... Standard procedure for Anti-Apple types since the early 80s.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

EdWiser wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:

FUD by a PC user I own 3 AppleTV’s and have used them all on Zwift and Rouvy never a problem. I also use a MacBook Pro with Zwift and Rouvy.
And run Win 10 in boot camp to run Veloton, Zwift and Rouvy.
Problems people have are down to their basic set up. I beta test for the cycling platforms so I run Ant+ and Bluetooth on each one to check out releases.
Well like I said it's just what I've noticed from being on the group and yes most probably are the users issue

I've got nothing against Apple

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com