Saddle Sores

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

16 years later, I think it's been worked out.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

Lardy wrote:
Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 pm
I 2nd the chamois cream. Assos is my favourite.
There are some other amputee specific creams which may be eminently suitable and available in the uk- If anyone is interested I'll get the names.
I once bought some of the Assos stuff, thinking that being so expensive it must be effective. I put it on but THEY ADDED MINT AND MENTHOL!! It was stinging/burning like.... and I couldn't just wash it off, it was of course not watersoluble. NEVER again.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

poulhansen wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:40 pm
I once bought some of the Assos stuff, thinking that being so expensive it must be effective. I put it on but THEY ADDED MINT AND MENTHOL!! It was stinging/burning like.... and I couldn't just wash it off, it was of course not watersoluble. NEVER again.
Sure you did not end up with ermbrocation instead of chamois cream? That really is not a good time! :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

I just smother my shorts in the chamois cream

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Sudacrem or Vitamin E cream but the first one works the best for me on hot days.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

jurez

by jurez

you put sudocream on before the ride? I usually put it on after the ride in case I get a saddle sore which after half a year without problems started occuring again.
But only on the left side

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

jurez wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:45 pm
you put sudocream on before the ride? I usually put it on after the ride in case I get a saddle sore which after half a year without problems started occuring again.
But only on the left side

Sudocrem before the ride, but unfortunately the white seeps through my bib shorts while riding and looks like a bird crapped on my behind. But worth it for no sores, especially in hot weather.

jurez

by jurez

I'll try it out before the ride

warthog101

by warthog101

Well haven't generally had to use chamois cream often at all.
Zwift has however brought a bit of chafing.
I have assoss chamois cream but grabbed some sudocrem, courtesy of this thread, to try.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

poulhansen wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:40 pm
Lardy wrote:
Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 pm
I 2nd the chamois cream. Assos is my favourite.
There are some other amputee specific creams which may be eminently suitable and available in the uk- If anyone is interested I'll get the names.
That must have been years ago too.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

That must have been years ago too.
It was but I've never had the inclination to try again, just to see..... !
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I second the recommendation to use Assos cream. I used to be a firm believer in Chamois Butt'r, in the past, but found Assos to be better. For longer rides (3hrs +) I use a new coconut oil-based cream by Chamois Butt'r, which is designed to last all day (won't wash away with sweat). I did a 5hr gravel ride with it, several months ago, and didn't have any issues, afterward.

A couple of things to keep in mind: regularly stand up from the saddle to relieve the pressure. The best cream in the world won't work, if you're just sitting there, hammering away. Stand up, let blood flow back into the area, then resume your ride. Even if you're riding on the trainer, adjust your position to let blood flow back into the area.

Also, don't just take off your bibs - wash them. Letting the bibs sit more than a couple of days with sweat in the pad, will lead to bacteria formation, which washing won't completely remove. Don't linger in them - take off the bibs and wash them.

Finally, invest in good bibs. Price does matter, as good bibs are going to be more expensive.