They're heavier. They cost more. They look kinda strange. Why should I buy/wear bib shorts?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

claus

by claus

guyc wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:07 am
How many people have picked up a pair of bibs and thought, nope, these are just too damn heavy.
I did... unfortunately I bought (online) a pair of bibs with gel inserts and it weighs over 220g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Well, I went for my first ride in bib shorts. Only a measly 20km due to a serious foot injury/recovery (and some laziness and procrastination).

I opted for castelli superleggera. 8)

As soon as I put them on, it felt like my lungs were being compressed vertically. As if just my torso was doing half light speed in the positive z direction. And this feeling persisted for about the first 10km. Upon the return journey there were some magical moments during which I couldn't feel anything. Sometimes they felt kinda 'uplifiting' (:lol:). I can see how they would be good on rides of more than ~80km. Because on one of the longest rides I ever did, 200km, all I can remember is the last third or so, having to readjust my shorts all the time.

I'm quite self-conscious and I swear people looked at me strangely.
It doesn't help that I'm [much] fatter than I should be. Hence they look like braces (which I loathe with a burning passion).

I came back refreshed, especially in my nether regions, but I could not wait to release the bib straps.
Possibly I should have got size XL instead of L.
The whole experience was rather odd. :smartass:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Umm did you have a Jersey on????,
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

synchronicity

by synchronicity

No I don't own any any dedicated cycling jerseys anymore. The ones that I have seen have lycra fabric that is too thick (too thick for me that is). Plus I don't like the high collars and (full) zippers on them. Nor do I like the styling (or advertising for the most part). I have only owned one or two jerseys that I actually liked (one was an extemely lightweight castelli summer jersey... I have fond memories of that particular yellow/blue jersey :cry:). All the rest kinda sucked. I don't need pockets (for now) as everything fits within my saddlebag. So I'm mainly using lightweight skintight baselayers. White reflects the sun. :mrgreen:

So initially I put the straps under the base layer. Then at the half way point rest stop I tried to take my heart rate monitor strap off and ended up looking like a girl taking off her bra without taking her top off. Very awkward elbow bending (which didn't work).

Then had a brief toilet break just to see how that would work on a longer ride...
Then just thought "what the hell" and put the straps over the base layer like you see on all the cycle clothing websites.
Except I did not look "cool" at all. Quite the opposite. :oops:

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Base layer, bibs, jersey. You can leave out the base layer if you like. Leaving out the jersey is odd. Leaving the bibs out, even more so!

Oh, and only cyclists ever think they look cool. Fact is, we look like dicks to most people.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

RTW wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:46 pm
Base layer, bibs, jersey. You can leave out the base layer if you like. Leaving out the jersey is odd. Leaving the bibs out, even more so!

Oh, and only cyclists ever think they look cool. Fact is, we look like dicks to most people.
Hahah, ^this. If you get 20 feet away from your bike you need to get out of cycling clothing. Don't get me started on people who don't change after the ride when getting food or a beer.

bilwit

by bilwit

Seems to be a common concern at first. I always tell people who ask this that no one wants to see your ass crack.

That said, wear what is comfortable to you regardless of standard or looks. I started as a commuter fred in regular clothes thinking lycra was silly. Then when my rides became longer and hotter, it became really apparent that sweating in rigid normal clothes is not ideal at all, to say the least. Thus I came to realize that you should always prioritize function over style.

For shorter rides to the LBS and back I'll just wear a t-shirt over my bibs, which might be a suitable option for you. A sports material workout shirt would serve the same purpose, you just miss out on the pockets.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Bib shorts are a great laxative. As soon as you get dressed for a morning ride you will always need to get entirely undressed again to use the toilet. Also bib shorts slightly flatten the belly, whereas normal shorts sit under the belly and seem to make it more noticeable, this is important as with cycle clothing all bumps are more noticeable. Also as has already been mentioned bibs hide the plumber's crack/builders arse.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I just got my first set of bibs not long ago... I get cheap kit so not having an itchy waistband is a big plus.

Angui

by Angui

Is your belly totally flat? If not - like me - then bibs are a million times more comfy, not cutting into your rotundity

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Angui wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm
Is your belly totally flat?
No, it's not.😥
On the 3 hour ride yesterday I noticed my non-bib shorts were sagging down at the end of it. :|
It may be time to give the bibs another go...

Andrew69

by Andrew69

synchronicity wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:56 am
Angui wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm
Is your belly totally flat?
No, it's not.😥
On the 3 hour ride yesterday I noticed my non-bib shorts were sagging down at the end of it. :|
It may be time to give the bibs another go...
Problem with bib shorts, well all cycling clothing, but why I initially found bib shorts really annopying, is the lack of standard sizing.

The brand I found with the "longest strap to waist ratio" was Pearl Izumi
In Australia, you can buy it at a reaseonable price from Bikebug

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Thanks, that's nice to know, I might check them out.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Andrew69 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:32 am
Problem with bib shorts, well all cycling clothing, but why I initially found bib shorts really annopying, is the lack of standard sizing.

You mean like all clothing?

If bib shorts all sized the same with the same ratios, what would non-standard people do?

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Karvalo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:08 am
Andrew69 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:32 am

You mean like all clothing?

If bib shorts all sized the same with the same ratios, what would non-standard people do?
When was the last time you bought a suit or even dress pants?
Why can I buy pants with a 30" waist with short, regular or long leg lengths but not other clothes?

Its not about "non-standard" people (what ever that means), its about a lack of sizing on the manufacturers part
We all know why they dont have such a wide array of sizes, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com