CERVELO

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

104Sancta

by 104Sancta

Were the original Cervelos better than the current ones? Some years ago I bought a SLC SL that was one of the two frames that won the tour in 2008. Loved it. It was light and one of the first carbon aero bikes available. Unfortunately I ran short of cash and had to sell it.
There has been a lot of criticism of current Cervelo bikes. Were the originals better?
In the case of so many products, not only bikes, The brand was first started and the designs were by true enthusiasts who had a passion for what they did. Then they sell out, usually to big corporates, and that is when things go wrong. Is that what has happened to Cervelo?

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Cervelo didn't get worse, they just lost the lead. I believe we kind of reached the limit of what a good (aero) bike should be, that's why they all look the same. Discs, integrated cables and cockpits were some of the latest hypes, but didn't really change anything except reduce comfort (added stiffness for higher braking force) and serviceability. That's why we're now seeing all the weird seatposts designs, dropped rear triangle and now also the return of screw in bottom brackets for some brands.

All in all I believe Cervelo bikes are in a better state now then they were 5-10 years, altough their tolerances and design choices (steer stop, V-shape stem) are still a bit off sometimes. They improved in the comfort department (more tyre clearance, disc brakes, built in frame design, integration) without losing any of their looks. Prices doubled and some choices for profit were made, but nothing other brands aren't doing either.

I love my Cervelo, but they lost some of their uniqueness/innovation wheras other brands gained some hype/sexappeal. Objectively speaking a 2020 Cervelo is a better bike than the 2008 bikes. The last one will be (I assume) a harsher ride without it being much stiffer.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com