Easy DIY to add resistance to AL rollers

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gwcman

by Gwcman

Thought I’d share a little DIY project I just completed to add/increase resistance on aluminum rollers. I came across this simple idea when I researching ways to increase resistance for my FTP Test earlier this week as I was afraid of spinning out. I found 2 ways; first was to fold or roll an old towel under the roller(s) to which I did as it was the simplest & easiest to do & worked fine. The 2nd method required a few more parts but is a better longer term solution. It’s also my understanding a few manufacturers used to make something similar and sell as an accessory however have since discontinued them.

I got the idea from this YouTube video, you'll hear him in the video say he can now push 1200 watts!!!! -

All I had to purchased was 1 piece of angle bar and 2 x 1.8" long Rare Earth Channel Magnets. I’m in Toronto Canada, cost me $30 for the magnets & $10 for the angle bar, already had the clamps.

Just installed them on my rollers and did a quick test. I have Shimano Ultegra 8000 group set with 50/34 11sp. In big chainring and 19 tooth (5th cog) down from largest in rear WITHOUT magnets at 75rpm I was pushing on average 90w, then added the magnets same gearing and cadence I 'm now pushing around 193w - that huge! And most likely exponential as you move up through the gears and the rollers spin faster.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

I've done similar with my rollers, a thin metal bar and rare earth magnets. I had easily put out 400w on them now, if I get up to 500w it does sound like I'm going to take off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com