JetBlack Volt Smart Trainer: UPDATED Review 2021-3-3

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

---------------------------Updated Review 2021-3-3------------------------
Ok so its no longer love story with the Jetblack Volt Smart Trainer
I can no longer recommend this item to those using a Thru Axle bike on this trainer.

I removed my Cervelo Aspero from the Trainer to do some maintenance and when I inspected the inside Chainstay by the Rear caliper bolts the frame was all chewed up.. Apparently there is no clearance when you mount a 12x142 Thru Axle bike on this trainer; the non drive side Chainstay lays up against the trainer.. I did not notice this when I first mounted the bike. So I reread the directions and watched the videos again and removed the cassette and reinstalled everything making sure I had the Thru Axle adapters in correctly; same thing, its right up against the frame. So then I checked my 3T Strada frame to see, if maybe the Aspero is just an anomaly. Nope the Strada non drive Chainstay was right up against the same spot.
Being that this company is in Australia, and their website shows out of stock for parts and accessories I jst contacted the store I purchased it from and showed them the pictures. Back it went.. another trainer bites the dust lol.
Now, my other gripe is the App, you don’t need it really, but you do for Calibrating and pairing a HR sensor to the unit itself to minimize Bluetooth connections. The App is really, really bad, like someone just learned to code and created an App bad.. I finally got the calibration to work, but the HR sensor was never able to pair with the device.
Now I could let the HR Sensor not pairing kind of slide as I have plenty of connections on Zwift, and honestly I could deal with the pairing if it’s a once in a month thing.. But combine the bike not fitting and getting scratched up and then couple that with the really shitty app and the pairing issues… just not worth my time or money..
Now GPlama used a QR bike not a thru axle, I’m curious to know if he tries his Aspero on the JetBlack if it will have the same issues?

---------------------------Original Review ------------------------------
So as many of you know I started a thread about not being satisfied by my then over priced Smart Trainer (kickr v5). You can read all about my rant on that thread, but basically: I wasn't impressed with my $1300 purchase compared to my mediocre at best Kinetic Road Machine wheel on smart trainer.

My wheel on was noisy and honestly not that accurate and I couldn't sprint without spinning the wheel. So it had to go and go it did.

Enter the JetBlack Volt. After watching GPlamas review and his experience with its immediate responsiveness and accuracy as well as how it handles different flywheel speeds I wanted to give it a go. It retails in the US for $899 and the site I watching it had fluctuating sales. At first it was $879 with $87 store credit gift card then on Presidents weekend it dropped to $789. I pulled the trigger and with my credits got it for sub $750, a price I can live with for riding in the virtual world.

Preliminary review:
1. Packaging: this thing is packed to withstand an air drop for WW3. It was double boxed, then eggcrated and then wrapped in airbags. I could drop this from a speeding car and it would never get damaged

2. Setup: super easy, comes with all the tools need plus an 11 speed cassette pre installed. Just bolt the legs and you are ready to go

3. Setup via the app: the app sucks, flat out flacky and the menu navigation is weird on iOS. But i got it to work and was able to pair it and update firmware in about 5 min

4. Cool features: The trainer has a Bluetooth bridge and allows you to pair things to the trainer so when you pair to zwift you only pair the device and your heart rate strap or whatever you pair to the trainer gets rolled into one connection. I think this is usefull for apple tv users with limited Bluetooth connections

5. Power Accuracy : compared to my Quarq AXS DUB PM it is nearly identical even in the first 10 minutes "before" spindown calibration

6. Feel: honestly I truly feel, it feels better than my Kickr v5. Gradient changes are nearly instant and transition smooth and fast. No crazy or abrupt changes when gradient changes no matter how slow or fast the flywheel is spinning. The down hill gradients almost feel real

7. ERG: after 10 minutes in did a spin down and then a 30/30 workout. Resistance is smooth and holds very steady. Power was now identical to the Quarq PM

Ok, ill update the post with more info after I put down more miles. But for now, 2 thumbs up
Last edited by gSporco on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Good to know.
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a smart trainer to replace my KK dumb trainer soon

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Didn’t GPLama also note that it suffers from power drift as the components heat up?

gSporco

by gSporco

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:15 am
Didn’t GPLama also note that it suffers from power drift as the components heat up?
Yes after prolonged use the natural heat build up creates a bit of thermal drift causing the power numbers to deviate a bit. Jetblack say this is fixable with firmware update. I did notice that when I updated the firmware it was a newer version than GPlamas update. After 2 hours of bouncing around z3 I didnt see any power spikes or drops
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

nismosr

by nismosr

where's the pictures ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

gSporco

by gSporco

nismosr wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:40 pm
where's the pictures ?
What pictures are you talking about?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

gSporco

by gSporco

---------------------------Updated Review 2021-3-3------------------------
Ok so its no longer love story with the Jetblack Volt Smart Trainer
I can no longer recommend this item to those using a Thru Axle bike on this trainer.

I removed my Cervelo Aspero from the Trainer to do some maintenance and when I inspected the inside Chainstay by the Rear caliper bolts the frame was all chewed up.. Apparently there is no clearance when you mount a 12x142 Thru Axle bike on this trainer; the non drive side Chainstay lays up against the trainer.. I did not notice this when I first mounted the bike. So I reread the directions and watched the videos again and removed the cassette and reinstalled everything making sure I had the Thru Axle adapters in correctly; same thing, its right up against the frame. So then I checked my 3T Strada frame to see, if maybe the Aspero is just an anomaly. Nope the Strada non drive Chainstay was right up against the same spot.
Being that this company is in Australia, and their website shows out of stock for parts and accessories I jst contacted the store I purchased it from and showed them the pictures. Back it went.. another trainer bites the dust lol.
Now, my other gripe is the App, you don’t need it really, but you do for Calibrating and pairing a HR sensor to the unit itself to minimize Bluetooth connections. The App is really, really bad, like someone just learned to code and created an App bad.. I finally got the calibration to work, but the HR sensor was never able to pair with the device.
Now I could let the HR Sensor not pairing kind of slide as I have plenty of connections on Zwift, and honestly I could deal with the pairing if it’s a once in a month thing.. But combine the bike not fitting and getting scratched up and then couple that with the really shitty app and the pairing issues… just not worth my time or money..
Now GPlama used a QR bike not a thru axle, I’m curious to know if he tries his Aspero on the JetBlack if it will have the same issues?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I am looking at Trainers and this was on my shortlist. Very disappointing to hear there may not be enough clearance with a disc brake bike. I was also considering the Elite Suito and Wahoo Kickr Core but leaning towards the Wahoo due to the reported clunking issues on Suito.

gSporco

by gSporco

TwiggyForest wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:57 am
I am looking at Trainers and this was on my shortlist. Very disappointing to hear there may not be enough clearance with a disc brake bike. I was also considering the Elite Suito and Wahoo Kickr Core but leaning towards the Wahoo due to the reported clunking issues on Suito.
I reached out to GPlama to see if he will test his thruaxle bikes. Its a real shame, because other than the complete shit app this trainer is a bargain for the price.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

gSporco wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 am
TwiggyForest wrote:
I reached out to GPlama to see if he will test his thruaxle bikes. Its a real shame, because other than the complete shit app this trainer is a bargain for the price.
I noticed now that the Jetblack site now warns of incompatibility with some flat mount disc brake bikes including Cervelo, Factor and a few other brands. Pretty big fail for them unfortunately.

gSporco

by gSporco

TwiggyForest wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:10 am
gSporco wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 am
TwiggyForest wrote:
I noticed now that the Jetblack site now warns of incompatibility with some flat mount disc brake bikes including Cervelo, Factor and a few other brands. Pretty big fail for them unfortunately.
Yeah a little to late for me as i had to learn the hard way buy having my frame scratched.

Also weird thar Gplama has an Aspero and didn't include it in his tests. It would have saved me the purchase and return hassle
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

gplama

by gplama

gSporco wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 pm
Also weird thar Gplama has an Aspero and didn't include it in his tests. It would have saved me the purchase and return hassle
I don't have the time or resources to test every use-case combination of mount/axle type/etc. If I mounted my Giant TCR thru-axle on there and showed it working, that's of no relevalnce to the Cervelo that apparently doesn't fit... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ultimtally this is an issue to resolve with JetBlack. If they've sold a product that doesn't do what they claim, here in AU that's a simple return/refund/credit procedure backed up by the ACCC.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

gplama wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:57 am
gSporco wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 pm
I don't have the time or resources to test every use-case combination of mount/axle type/etc. If I mounted my Giant TCR thru-axle on there and showed it working, that's of no relevalnce to the Cervelo that apparently doesn't fit... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ultimtally this is an issue to resolve with JetBlack. If they've sold a product that doesn't do what they claim, here in AU that's a simple return/refund/credit procedure backed up by the ACCC.
Indont doubt that you are a busy man. Definitely appreciate your in depth reviews, hence why I bought the Jetbalck to begin with. I just drew the short stra I guess with the bikes I have :noidea:
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero