Weight loss in training?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

izzo

by izzo

The weight loss during training has a negative (not positive) impact. You will not be able to lose the fat in measurable quantites on one ride, so what you will be losing is water. That is even more certain training indors on a trainer or on very hot days,...ppl tend to overheat and pufff,..in few days on a trainer you could be 3 kg lighter. Oe after one single 5h ride under a blazing sun you could be 3kg lighter,.... BUT,...it only means you are dehidrated and exausted,.....when you return to normal routine the weight will come backup.
The pros are avoiding riding trainers for too long (some PRO teams have 1h limit on a trainer!) to avoid overheating,....3h training in this state would mean that next training day is lost because you need to re-hidrate,...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

izzo wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:43 am
The weight loss during training has a negative (not positive) impact. You will not be able to lose the fat in measurable quantites on one ride, so what you will be losing is water. That is even more certain training indors on a trainer or on very hot days,...ppl tend to overheat and pufff,..in few days on a trainer you could be 3 kg lighter. Oe after one single 5h ride under a blazing sun you could be 3kg lighter,.... BUT,...it only means you are dehidrated and exausted,.....when you return to normal routine the weight will come backup.
The pros are avoiding riding trainers for too long (some PRO teams have 1h limit on a trainer!) to avoid overheating,....3h training in this state would mean that next training day is lost because you need to re-hidrate,...

I find it ironic that you're suggesting that training indoors will result in overheating when it's a controlled environment. I can't make the sun go away on a hot summer day, but I can turn on the air-con and spin up my 3 fans for perfect indoor workout conditions. I also train in the evening with the garage doors wide open and it gets down to 9-10C. No overheating here.

Also short of unbearably hot conditions, you shouldn't have issues hydrating on outdoor rides. I have never finished a 5 hour ride 3kg lighter. In most cases I'm probably heavier immediately after the ride because I have a gut full of food+water. If I lose 3kg of water, my body would be barely functional. I had a bout of gastroenteritis 2 years ago where I lose about 4.5kg in water weight. My muscles, including my heart, pretty much stopped working. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without collapsing from exhaustion immediately afteward.

DavG

by DavG

Sounds interesting, I don't usually weigh myself more than once every two weeks, so I never thought about it. I tried it today, and since I drank water during my workout, the weight didn't go off. But that's to be expected because the weight is both water and fat and muscle.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

xkcd wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:01 pm
Hey Guys,

its not about losing extra pounds on your body, but instead about the rate of weight loss during an exercise, i.e. how much weight do I lose per hour while cycling?

I am writing a script, where I want to include a varying weight, dependant on time of the activity, maybe even power and/or temperature based.
Think of strava calculated power, but with user-defined parameters.

So whats your take, 0.5 kg per hour? 1 % per hour?

thanks for your input!
I don't think this is going to work.......... fat loss is a slow 24/7 process, and I think the burn from cardio continues long after the exercise is finished.

Plus there are so many factors that affect the burn rate........ if you have a relatively high body fat % then it's probably a 1:1 activity:burn rate ratio, but as you get leaner it gets blurrier. Your body begins to slow your overall metabolism rate and eventually you can get to the point where cardio doesn't induce any weight loss. And of course that's not considering stuff like water weight, carb weight etc.

Simplest way is most effective in my experience. Track your calorie intake, activities and daily weight.... then make adjustments as needed. And for long fat loss efforts plan to attack in waves with time off. There's no cheat code and I think stuff like this can obfuscate and confuse.

jlok

by jlok

xkcd wrote:
Hey Guys,

its not about losing extra pounds on your body, but instead about the rate of weight loss during an exercise, i.e. how much weight do I lose per hour while cycling?

I am writing a script, where I want to include a varying weight, dependant on time of the activity, maybe even power and/or temperature based.

thanks for your input!
Xert is doing exactly this. Of course they are not going to tell you exactly the formula but they do explain when fat burn rate is peak relative to power output and the rider type (in terms of Fitness Signature). Based on it they have a real-time Garmin CIQ Datafield to show fat/carb usage based on power meter figure (so it excludes your metabolism but still a way better start than most).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Ant

by Ant

cheapvega wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:05 pm
And for long fat loss efforts plan to attack in waves with time off.
Exactly my experience. I lost 5kg through December with hard calorie restriction and basically nothing strenuous on the bike. Now I'm training properly and taking on enough carbs to train and recover well my weight is within 80.4 to 81.4 each morning. Rest days I can restrict my calories a lot more and lose an additional 250g but I'm not going to see a large loss if I want my power to keep going up.

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

xkcd wrote:
Hey Guys,

thanks for your input!
The "weight loss rate" you are asking about is very dependant on the weighing protocol after exercise. If you weight yourself immediately after a 1hr max threshold effort you'll likely be more than 2kg lighter, but it will all be water and glycogen weight and you will put almost all of it back on when recovered where as if it was an hour at Z1 you'll probably only lose 750g BUT the body fat loss will be greater.

What are you asking for? If it's the simple "how much fat loss will you experience for an hour exercise at a set intensity then the answer is it depends but is pretty straight forward to calculate.

xkcd

by xkcd

trainingpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:01 pm
What are you asking for?
I thought I wrote that, anyway.

I calculate power based on GPS coordinates, or activity data, such as a GPX file. For every timepoint I calculate the power. As the total system weight decreases, the weight parameter in the calculation needs to change accordingly.

Thats the only use I have for it.