What does the inability to do pistol squats say about my muscle composition?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tmr5555

by tmr5555

A little background, I'm 35, have been a well trained cyclist for around a decade now, I do participate in UCI 1.2- 2.2 level races when I can and have a w/kg FTP of around 5 when in peak form.

I cannot for the life of me do pistol squats (maybe 1 if I'm lucky) and always thought not being able to do them was a cyclist specific thing, but, boy am I wrong, because having queried my buddies, the majority of them, spanning a vast spectrum of fitness seem very much so capable.

What's up? Anyone?
Last edited by tmr5555 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Like a lot of essentially gymnastic moves, there's a huge skill component to pistol squats, involving balance and core. I'm in the camp of those who would strongly debate their usefulness, but if getting good at them would make you feel good, then scaling them with chair pistols and by leaning into a swiss ball against the wall with your back will help develop those things.

As to what it says about your muscle composition? Absolutely nothing. It *might* highlight weaknesses in one or more of a number of muscle groups, or (more likely) it might be telling you you're not very good at quite a specific move with a high skill component. If you have access to a leg press, then single leg presses wil tell you very quickly whether this is a simple muscular strength issue, or whether (as I suspect) you don't know how to fire,and stabilize the right muscles in the right sequence while maintaining balance.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

raggedtrousers wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:00 pm
...or whether (as I suspect) you don't know how to fire,and stabilize the right muscles in the right sequence while maintaining balance.
Very well put, TY.

ms6073

by ms6073

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

It would be interesting to know if your mates that can do them also do off the bike strength training.

But I would say it would be largely technique and different body compositions and flexibility will affect how easy you find them. Example if your 6 foot tall and can't touch your toes, I'd suspect you're going to find them harder to do then a shorter, more flexible person.

But just like learning to do pull ups I'm sure you can get there with relative ease if you progressively work towards them, ie. as above. Starting with a bench behind you and progressively getting lower as your technique improves. https://www.manvsweight.com/pistol-squat-progression/

As for their benefit, I'd say if you think leg and core strength benefit you on the bike then being able to do these will benefit you.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bet you it's not your muscles at all.

Varus or valgus feet/ankles will have a huge effect on one-legged stability. Try wedging something something under your forefoot/arch and see if it improves your foot/ankle/knee stability.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

I'm pretty flexible,
I guess it's just a fitness routine you cannot just jump in and do almost immediately like push ups. But, rather one needs to build up to it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pistol squats have little to do with flexibility, some to do with core strength and mostly to do with balance/stability. This is why I asked if you have varus/valgus feet. Lift one foot off the ground and partially bend your support leg and then straighten it a few times. Is your knee wobbly? Now try bowing your knee outward a little bit while doing the same? Is it more stable that way?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:01 pm
Bet you it's not your muscles at all.

Varus or valgus feet/ankles will have a huge effect on one-legged stability.
Meh. It might make it a bit trickier at first but you can still learn to balance no matter what you're foot is doing. My arch stability is rubbish but pistol squats are no problem, even after months of doing no off bike S&C or plyometrics of any kind. Maybe it's just balance and core stability learned from regular mountain trail hiking and a deeply mediocre level of slack lining and rock climbing but it works.

That said, what you suggest is probably a good stepping stone.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:59 am
Lift one foot off the ground and...
Doesn't seem to make much a difference lol.
Don't have valgus either.

I have however had tendonitis on both legs before and am probably a little sheepish about overloading, although tendonitis obv. has nothing to do with squatting...
The saga continueth.

bobbybrown

by bobbybrown

During the squat movement there are huge powers developed on your patella, patellar tendon and quadriceps. Friction between cartilage and suprapatellar and infrapatellar fat. Probably you are just protecting your knee having the memory of tenonditis. I have seen all these patologies in people that are doing squats. My logic says squating with both legs gives more stability and may protect your knee in case of a bad move.
I do not insist i just exprime my thoughts. I know the pathology but i have a lot to learn on training, that's why I am here :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com