Blood boosters: Brocolli, pig livers, ehinacea & rhodea

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

izzo

by izzo

Hi,
Apart from long known Brocolli & pig livers etc also some new products have arised, selling by names such as EPO BOOST, BLOOD BOOST etc,.... the ingredients are mostly Rhodiola Rosea and Ehinacea Purpea and common to all Boosters is they are kinda expensive.

Althoght some studies (there werent many thought) have neglected the effect, some others suggest (mostly marketing of these products hmmm) that these stuff raise blood levels up in natural way significantly,....for instance I found a statement (not study) claiming one cyclist raised red cells from 43-->45%, 44->47%, other 45->47%...
So, whats your opinion about these natural blood boosters, anyone using this, do you think they are worth a try?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Most of the legal/uncontrolled "performance boosters" are legal and uncontrolled because they don't work in any measurable or repeatable way.

The only real exception to this is if you have some sort of a deficiency in your diet or an underlying condition where you don't process certain things properly.

izzo

by izzo

yes I think you got the point here, but my thinking is that ancient eastern tradition praise these herbs for their stimulant and imuno effects for a good reason,..thats why I ll try them out....just not as an expensive booster package but rather buying each separately.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

If they worked, they'd either be banned, controlled or actual medicine.

There is no "good reason" for them to be praised, other than profit. (and placebo)

Cals

by Cals

i once gave blood , and had iron tablets, rode the next day , had jelly legs. recovered on the subsequent day and rode better than the day before but almost normal.
Recently gave blood , had to recover 3 days before i could feel i was back to normal. I did not take the iron tablets.

Also i could also recommend you pop by your local chinatown or restaurant to try pigs blood? in a form of curry noodle condiments added as a natural supplement. if not mistaken the english have it in a sausage?

c60rider

by c60rider

Cals wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:51 pm
i once gave blood , and had iron tablets, rode the next day , had jelly legs. recovered on the subsequent day and rode better than the day before but almost normal.
Recently gave blood , had to recover 3 days before i could feel i was back to normal. I did not take the iron tablets.

Also i could also recommend you pop by your local chinatown or restaurant to try pigs blood? in a form of curry noodle condiments added as a natural supplement. if not mistaken the english have it in a sausage?
Officially it's a pudding but it looks like a sausage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding :unbelievable:

joejack951

by joejack951

I’ve had the German variety blutwurst while in Dusseldorf. It was a bit too, erm, bloody for me. I’ll accept my lower hematocrit and stick with schnitzel.

toride

by toride

No, I’ll stick to the red wine and occasionally opt for the black pudding option on my full English breakfast

Diegasmus

by Diegasmus

Cals wrote:

A quick and nice recipe is Spanish style "blood with onions" (Sangre encebollada). it can either be with pig's or chicken's blood, and can be eaten straight out from the fridge.

It's also a really light dish, as the only fat is the oil you wanna add to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Diegasmus

by Diegasmus

Cals wrote:

A quick and nice recipe is Spanish style "blood with onions" (Sangre encebollada). it can either be with pig's or chicken's blood, and can be eaten straight out from the fridge.

It's also a really light dish, as the only fat is the oil you wanna add to it.