Smart Trainer Power Meter or On Bike Power Meters: Which are you using on Zwift?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

saldegracia

by saldegracia

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:38 pm
Well here's the thing. If you're using left-only 4iiii or Stages PMs, then you don't know if you have a L/R imbalance. If you are using L/R PMs from either manufacturer, the right-side crank will read ~7% low, causing the total power to be reported ~3.5% low.

The Rampa is bad though.
If the difference on the Rampa was caused by a L/R imbalance that would be quite some imbalance ;) When I had the Rampa my FTP test came out as 360W on the trainer and 300W with the 4iiii power meter. I might or might not have an imbalance, it's not really important to me but I don't want my outdoor power data to be "contaminated" by the trainer numbers. At the end of the day it almost doesn't matter which one is more precise, if you want consistency it's easiest to always use the same PM and since I can't use the trainer for outdoor riding I have to use the outdoor PM on the trainer...
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

I use my Stages powermeter on zwift as the cadence is more accurate, less laggy, I have been on a top of the range gym bike that showed left right imbalance and mine shifted around according to power and cadence. Given that training is divided into zones just how accurate does a powermeter have to be?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:17 pm
I use my Stages powermeter on zwift as the cadence is more accurate, less laggy, I have been on a top of the range gym bike that showed left right imbalance and mine shifted around according to power and cadence. Given that training is divided into zones just how accurate does a powermeter have to be?

It was a difference between 206 and 196 tss today between a KICKR5 I've just started messing with and my two power meters. Either way, I expect $1400/$1200/$900 trainers to have better accuracy than they exhibit today.

---

BTW the KICKR5 is quite different than my old Hammer. The baseline resistance is through the roof. Pedaling from a standing start or even just coasting for a few seconds requires more force to get started. Accuracy is out ~3% at 250W, sometimes 5% at sprint power. The flywheel sounds like an idling diesel engine when spinning...it purrs for some reason.

My recommended smart trainer remains the Saris H3.

chicagorider

by chicagorider

I got vector 3 pedals recently and have been comparing numbers against Kickr Core. Sometimes one is higher than the other but my default assumption is the Kickr that needs calibrating more often than I care to calibrate it... (Maybe temperature thing?!) the new ones don't require manual calibration so my presumption is that the new kickr is more likely to accurate.

A few days ago, as you mentioned, I read that you can set Zwift tocontrol Kickr using power reading from Vector. I'm about to go try this today...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

chicagorider wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:31 pm
I got vector 3 pedals recently and have been comparing numbers against Kickr Core. Sometimes one is higher than the other but my default assumption is the Kickr that needs calibrating more often than I care to calibrate it...

A few days ago, as you mentioned, I read that you can set Zwift tocontrol Kickr using power reading from Vector (so that the issue of power reading discrepancy becomes moot). I'm about to go try this today...

You can also tell the KICKR Core to “power match” with your pedals directly in the Wahoo mobile app. This means you can just pair the KICKR Core in Zwift all the time and it will be reading power data from the pedals anyway.

As for the Core needing frequent calibration...I’ll add that the Saris H3 stays super consistent for weeks, if not months if undisturbed.

gSporco

by gSporco

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:27 pm
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:17 pm
Well this is interesting news.
My first choice is the Saris. My second choice was to splurge and buy the cadillac of trainers Kickr5. Butnif im understanding you correctly you still prefer the Saris for the feel and accuracy

Have you heard of the Jetblack Volt trainers? GPlama just reviewed it. It's basically a kitted out Core with better features and more accuracy.

My LBS should have them in by 2nd weeek of Feb. just dont know how I feel about getting something so boutique in the event of a warranty issue, it may take forever to get a replacement or fixed overseas

It was a difference between 206 and 196 tss today between a KICKR5 I've just started messing with and my two power meters. Either way, I expect $1400/$1200/$900 trainers to have better accuracy than they exhibit today.

---

BTW the KICKR5 is quite different than my old Hammer. The baseline resistance is through the roof. Pedaling from a standing start or even just coasting for a few seconds requires more force to get started. Accuracy is out ~3% at 250W, sometimes 5% at sprint power. The flywheel sounds like an idling diesel engine when spinning...it purrs for some reason.

My recommended smart trainer remains the Saris H3.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have Vector and H1.

I hook up the Vector to record on Garmin. H1 to Zwift. Lately, I'm getting drop outs. For the first year, I was ok. It sucks when you are climbing the Alpe and then your guy gets off the bike. WTF? Oh well, it's just a game but it's aggravating.

There will always be differences with power. I'm not certain why people look at so much data. Nothing will be the same. I can see it if you think there is an issue but I've got a friend that contantly compares and complains about that.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Butcher wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:10 pm
I have Vector and H1.

I hook up the Vector to record on Garmin. H1 to Zwift. Lately, I'm getting drop outs. For the first year, I was ok. It sucks when you are climbing the Alpe and then your guy gets off the bike. WTF? Oh well, it's just a game but it's aggravating.

There will always be differences with power. I'm not certain why people look at so much data. Nothing will be the same. I can see it if you think there is an issue but I've got a friend that contantly compares and complains about that.

My DZero and Assiomas are literally 1:1...basically all of the time. The Hammer is almost 1:1:1, it overreports sprints a tiny bit, but for any other training zone it is spot on.

As for dropouts, if you can, try connecting via BT. ANT+ operates on 2457MHz only, meaning if your neighbor is using channels 9-11 on their WiFi router, you will probably have a bad time.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Thanks for the tip, Living on 2 acres helps with neighbors and Bluetooth is the same. Although my laptop is newer, I suspect it's that or the Wifi I have.

The Garmin does not have the issues. Never has even on the road.

chicagorider

by chicagorider

TobinHatesYou wrote:
chicagorider wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:31 pm
I got vector 3 pedals recently and have been comparing numbers against Kickr Core. Sometimes one is higher than the other but my default assumption is the Kickr that needs calibrating more often than I care to calibrate it...

A few days ago, as you mentioned, I read that you can set Zwift tocontrol Kickr using power reading from Vector (so that the issue of power reading discrepancy becomes moot). I'm about to go try this today...

You can also tell the KICKR Core to “power match” with your pedals directly in the Wahoo mobile app. This means you can just pair the KICKR Core in Zwift all the time and it will be reading power data from the pedals anyway.

As for the Core needing frequent calibration...I’ll add that the Saris H3 stays super consistent for weeks, if not months if undisturbed.
Couldn't don't the option on the Wahoo app (android...) Maybe it's not supported for the kickr core?

Anyway, also read somewhere that Wahoo recommends doing this via Zwift and not through power match (which is intended for use with the Wahoo app only)...

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

My Kickr Core is shit for power, way off compared to my 4iii, and even way off from perceived effort. I'm talking my Core is consistently 30-40 watts lower than 4iii. Numerous calibrations, etc and no better. Wahoo just ask for constant tests and data instead of fixing the issue. Have seen other complain of the same. Bitterly disappointed after spending $1200 on it after a good experience with my Bolt and reading generally good reviews online.

chicagorider

by chicagorider

Sammutd88 wrote:My Kickr Core is shit for power, way off compared to my 4iii, and even way off from perceived effort. I'm talking my Core is consistently 30-40 watts lower than 4iii. Numerous calibrations, etc and no better. Wahoo just ask for constant tests and data instead of fixing the issue. Have seen other complain of the same. Bitterly disappointed after spending $1200 on it after a good experience with my Bolt and reading generally good reviews online.
Do you have L-only or L-R 4iiii (on Shimano)? there's known issues with LR power meters on Shimano crankset.... (I refer you to GPlama).

I have kickr core too and it can be up to 5% off (up or down) relative to my Vector pedals in Erg mode. Though when it's just free Zwift ride, they're close.

Also $1200 for kickr core?! That's the price of the full-blown kickr!

gSporco

by gSporco

chicagorider wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:50 am
Sammutd88 wrote:My Kickr Core is shit for power, way off compared to my 4iii, and even way off from perceived effort. I'm talking my Core is consistently 30-40 watts lower than 4iii. Numerous calibrations, etc and no better. Wahoo just ask for constant tests and data instead of fixing the issue. Have seen other complain of the same. Bitterly disappointed after spending $1200 on it after a good experience with my Bolt and reading generally good reviews online.
Do you have L-only or L-R 4iiii (on Shimano)? there's known issues with LR power meters on Shimano crankset.... (I refer you to GPlama).

I have kickr core too and it can be up to 5% off (up or down) relative to my Vector pedals in Erg mode. Though when it's just free Zwift ride, they're close.

Are you all running the latest firmware update? Seems to have fixed power accuracy and cadence. In my brief 1 day experiment with the Kickr v5 it should a variation of +-5 watts on the same ride compared to my Quarq DUB PM spider.

I returned the Kickr as you can read on my other thread, for other reasons. But basically, $1200 for a mediocre experience was not my cup of tea.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

chicagorider wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:50 am

Left only. Talking Australian dollars, not everyone lives in the US ;)

chicagorider

by chicagorider

I personally have an LR imbalance of up to 3%... Perhaps a "fix" might be to change the scaling setting on your 4iiii?

I run the latst firmware but I think the core just requires more frequent calibration than I care to do... (perhaps because of inconsistent room temperature?)

Anyway I know make zwift read from the vector pedals. I'm at least then 100% sure that my outdoor and indoor reading are consistent (even if it could be wrong!)

PS my bad, when I hear dollars I think us, when I hear pounds, I think British pounds and when I hear yen, I think Japan... Will be more open minded from now...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com