Anyone on here had a knee osteomety or knee replacement

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mzlewis

by mzlewis

Hi there,

My knee is playing up and a mri scan and X-ray is showing severe cartilage and a knee osteomety was mentioned by the surgeon. Anyone on here had such a procedure and continued to race. I'm 44 but too much rugby and 3 ACL reconstructions are now making themselves felt. I race cyclo cross and mtb. It's ok on the bike thankfully - just walking up and down steps. Can't ride everyone.

Cheers, Matt

ratef42

by ratef42

Occasionally get some issues but I like to keep them covered with leg warmers or tights. Warmer is a bit more pain free

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

mzlewis wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Hi there,

My knee is playing up and a mri scan and X-ray is showing severe cartilage and a knee osteomety was mentioned by the surgeon. Anyone on here had such a procedure and continued to race. I'm 44 but too much rugby and 3 ACL reconstructions are now making themselves felt. I race cyclo cross and mtb. It's ok on the bike thankfully - just walking up and down steps. Can't ride everyone.

Cheers, Matt
As a physiotherapist I would say find yourself a surgeon who is experienced in dealing with patients who want to remain athletically active. They're done for younger patients who want to remain active, but the level of activity is all relative. Active in this day and age for many is to be able to get off the sofa to the fridge and get more food supplies. If the surgeon is at a general hospital then that's the typical patient he/she will see. But with your sporting background you need to see someone with some degree of sympathy to the sport history you've had and want into the future. Saying that there's no reason to think the surgeon you have seen wouldn't do a fine job as it's really done to prevent you needing a knee replacement any time soon. Following surgery and rehab it shouldn't affect your ability to race on the bike, but should give you a better positioned knee to slow down the rate of arthritis in your knee thereby delaying a possible knee replacement. It may also give you a less painful knee up and down the steps. But you'd be looking at a good 6 months plus to start getting back to a decent level of fitness following surgery and possibly a season off racing.

mzlewis

by mzlewis

Many thanks for the responses. Especially since you are a phyiotherapist. Have you had many dealings with peopel who had an osteomety? Many thanks, and much appreciated.

Matt

sigma

by sigma

c60rider wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm
mzlewis wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Hi there,

Cheers, Matt
As a physiotherapist I would say find yourself a surgeon who is experienced in dealing with patients who want to remain athletically active. They're done for younger patients who want to remain active, but the level of activity is all relative. Active in this day and age for many is to be able to get off the sofa to the fridge and get more food supplies. If the surgeon is at a general hospital then that's the typical patient he/she will see. But with your sporting background you need to see someone with some degree of sympathy to the sport history you've had and want into the future. Saying that there's no reason to think the surgeon you have seen wouldn't do a fine job as it's really done to prevent you needing a knee replacement any time soon. Following surgery and rehab it shouldn't affect your ability to race on the bike, but should give you a better positioned knee to slow down the rate of arthritis in your knee thereby delaying a possible knee replacement. It may also give you a less painful knee up and down the steps. But you'd be looking at a good 6 months plus to start getting back to a decent level of fitness following surgery and possibly a season off racing.
I would echo this advice. In my town (Park City, UT), there is a very active athletic community of all ages. The surgeons and PT folks aim to restore patients back to an extremely high level of athletic function. Four people I know have had full knee replacements here (2 of them former US mogul skiers) and all are avid runners and cyclists (and skiers) who returned to higher levels of athelticism than compared to prior to surgery. Good luck.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

mzlewis

by mzlewis

Thanks for taking the time to respond. That's really encouraging. The only peopel I know who have had knee replacements have been quite sedentary people in their late 60s. I've got no intention of stopping and riding and racing for a while yet, so to hear of people still playing after they have had the replacment is very encouraging. Post operation seems to be the crucial bit and going into it fit too.

Thanks again, Matt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

Got a current patient who's had a distal femoral osteotomy and 2 month on there's no sign of any callus formation so she's still partial weight bearing on crutches. The metal work is holding everything together while they're waiting for things to knit though this should have happened by 6 weeks. But this individual was very sedentary prior to surgery so I think her overall health, activity levels and diet have all contributed to poor bone healing.