Glasses for night time riding

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ccie6872

by ccie6872

curious on any recommendations on high-end glasses for night time / early morning riding..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

borist

by borist

Most of the larger companies offer clear frames - I usually just buy a clear frame separately and change in the frame for that time of year. Means you can use them throughout the year and just change as needed.

Specifically, I've done this with my Oakley Jawbeakers and Radar EVs using the Clear lens. Oakley offer a some other lenses for low-light, but I've always just used the clear ones.

ms6073

by ms6073

There was a time when Oakley offered 'High Intensity' Yellow and Blue (blue was actually yellow with a very slight bluish glint) lenses for M-Frames and a few other frames. From my perspective, these are among the best lenses for low light conditions, but alas, Oakley has discontinued most and the ones that are still available are offered only to military and police. Occasionally they come up for sale on Ebay and I was fortunate to recently snag a some of these lenses for the wife and I, but failing that, balistic shooting glasses may be the best all-around option.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Transitions Extractive. Big issue with early AM riding is sun up. I've been using them for 4-5yrs now and they are perfect

jlok

by jlok

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:04 am
Transitions Extractive. Big issue with early AM riding is sun up. I've been using them for 4-5yrs now and they are perfect
Do they fit in cycling frames like Oakley Field Jacket with a power of -3.50?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Anyone who does RX lenses can probably that if they can do a -3.5. The mirror coating is hard to do, the transition isn't.
I got lenses for my Oakley Mercenary from Lensabl, I think it was $200 for the mirrored version of the xtractive "stylemirrors" - which are good, but not as dark as the nonmirror, though they look better when they're half darkened.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 pm
There was a time when Oakley offered 'High Intensity' Yellow and Blue (blue was actually yellow with a very slight bluish glint) lenses for M-Frames and a few other frames. From my perspective, these are among the best lenses for low light conditions, but alas, Oakley has discontinued most and the ones that are still available are offered only to military and police. Occasionally they come up for sale on Ebay and I was fortunate to recently snag a some of these lenses for the wife and I, but failing that, balistic shooting glasses may be the best all-around option.
Funny, I never realized that the yellow lenses were restricted to their Standard Issue lineup (that's how I got mine).

ratef42

by ratef42

This is always a problem if you wear glasses and the light changes. Normal specs with transition lenses are ok year round. Big days contracts and oakleys. Then take them off when it goes dark

eeney

by eeney

I've been riding photochromatic/photochromic for years, I like how they vary darkness based on sunlight so you just put them on and ride, forget about which lenses to use.

Often I'll leave in the dark with clear lenses and finish in sunlight with darkened lenses and I haven't even noticed, perfect for any type of light without changing lenses.

kervelo

by kervelo

Oakley has the Prizm Low Light lens that is perfect for night time riding. I am not sure about its availability in 2021, but 2020 it was available at least for Radar EV Path, EVzero and Flight Jacket models.

ms6073

by ms6073

Has its own product section but selection is very limited: Oakley PRIZM Low Light
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Another vote for prizm low light
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com