Running - How To

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

willdsouth

by willdsouth

stevec1975 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:49 pm
I started as a cyclist many moons ago, started running as a way to keep mentally fresh, you get so much more bang for your buck with running (an hour of hard running = at least 2 hours cycling), in a time-pressed week, it is an easy way to keep improve your fitness.

Echo what others are saying here, start small, slow and intersperse with cycling, and you should keep relatively injury free.

I found, after focusing on running training for a marathon (did a sub 3) that my bike fitness seemed lower/muscles didn't like cycling for a few months afterwards, so it is important to mix it up if cycling is your main sport.
What sort of level did you find yourself at when you first switched to running and how long to train up to that sub 3?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Initial getting into running, (got a stress fracture from doing too much/too fast/too soon) then did approx 20 miles a week x 16 weeks plus cycling = 3:29 Marathon
Focused a bit more, did more running, 40 miles x 16 weeks plus cycling = 3:15
More focus, approx 60 miles a week/no cycling x 16 weeks = 2:58

Like cycling, the more you do, the faster you get, but it is much easier to get injured through running, so start small.

bestazy

by bestazy

I started running about a month ago to work on cardio strength because it's too flat by my house to easily get my heart rate up on the bike. It's been challenging and even with warm-ups and stretching I end up with random injuries or pain after just 2 miles on some runs (not every run). Definitely need to take it slow.

I find that running workouts feel roughly 2:1 in terms of intensity per time; a 1 hour run feels pretty close to a 2 hour ride. That's after being well adapted to it.
As for challenging, I think developing good form is hard, and that has a big impact not only on speed but on how efficient you are and how likely you are to get injured. Hills are hard both ways; uphill is hard aerobically and downhill it is hard to run smoothly and efficiently.

Overall, though, I really like it. A 2 mile run is a decent amount of work, and from when I get my clothes on until I'm done is only about 20 minutes. Where the bike is 2.5 hours minimum as I don't feel it's worthwhile to do short rides. Running is also easier during the rainy season; I don't like cycling on wet roads but a little wetness when running doesn't really matter.
https://digital-planner.com/fitness/wor ... anner/dark