Shoulder pain after crash

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I hit the deck on gravel nearly a week ago, amongst all the gravel rash I instinctively put my arm down and hurt my shoulder. I only get pain when I lift it above my head, so getting dressed is interesting at the moment! It feels weaker overall as well, and I can't get out of the saddle and put pressure on it which is very frustrating. Otherwise using it is OK. Just wondering if I should be icing it or using heat? I assume that massage won't help in this instance? Stretching? Any other help or guidance would be much appreciated :D
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Go visit a doctor.. Please.

Most likely torn a rotator cuff, damaged the joint or collarbone... Don't let internet diagnose it as erectile dysfunction...

Doctors... Go

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

gorkypl

by gorkypl

If you can lift the arm above your head it might be just a sprain, but definitely have it x-rayed and examined by a doctor.
It takes a bit of effort, but if it is more serious, you want to act fast.

FWIW, I have sprained my shoulder ACJ (grade 1) in August, and it took almost three months until I could lift hand above my head without pain (and I still cannot sleep on this side). So don't expect instant recovery.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

dim

by dim

speaking of which ....

heard today that a work collegue's partner was cycling at speed early morning in the dark and smashed into a deer

I don't know the full story yet, but what I've heard is that he never saw the deer, crashed into the deer, struggled to breath as his ribs took a hard knock .... he managed to phone his partner and she has to contact the police to send a search party to find him as she was not sure where he was laying on the road

he's ok now but has been booked off work for a few days and is in pain :cry:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Sounds quite normal from my experience - took a few months to recover fully. Probably just muscle damage, but if it's very painful you could always see your Doctor as others said.

JCrider

by JCrider

dim wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:43 pm
speaking of which ....

heard today that a work collegue's partner was cycling at speed early morning in the dark and smashed into a deer

I don't know the full story yet, but what I've heard is that he never saw the deer, crashed into the deer, struggled to breath as his ribs took a hard knock .... he managed to phone his partner and she has to contact the police to send a search party to find him as she was not sure where he was laying on the road

he's ok now but has been booked off work for a few days and is in pain :cry:
I have a happier deer story. 2 years ago I did a gran fondo type ride in NJ where one of the fast guys collided with a deer. He actually hugged it and used it as a pillow to crash on tarmac. Deer got up a ran away and the rider was fine. A true story. I didn't see it but had other riders that we know saw it!

Going back to OPs question. Go see a Dr. to rule out anything major. If they can't find anything then go find a good acupuncturist (Koreans are better from my experience). I get left shoulder pain time to time when working out in gym(not on bike) due to lifting way too heavy weights when I was young and stupid.

PSM

by PSM

Google Inpingement.

exctasy

by exctasy

mogwaiboi wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 am
I hit the deck on gravel nearly a week ago, amongst all the gravel rash I instinctively put my arm down and hurt my shoulder. I only get pain when I lift it above my head, so getting dressed is interesting at the moment! It feels weaker overall as well, and I can't get out of the saddle and put pressure on it which is very frustrating. Otherwise using it is OK. Just wondering if I should be icing it or using heat? I assume that massage won't help in this instance? Stretching? Any other help or guidance would be much appreciated :D
Please see a doc to get it diagnosed.
I had a crash 2 years back, the 1st hospital didnt diagnose the issue. It was still hurting after nearly a month, went for a second opinion.
I was diagnosed with acj grade 3. It took me 4mths before i went back on the bike and nearly a year before i got near to my previous fitness.
i went through Lots and lots of massages and physio..

RichardL

by RichardL

mogwaiboi wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 am
IJust wondering if I should be icing it or using heat?
Icing it is a little bit too late now. It is best to ice an injury within 48 hours to reduce inflammation. Like others have mentioned, I would visit a doctor and get an MRI to see the extend of damage. The earlier the injury is diagnosed and treated, the better the outcome. I have a feeling it might be a partially torn rotator cuff, possibly the supraspinatus tendon.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sychen wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 am
Go visit a doctor.. Please.

Most likely torn a rotator cuff, damaged the joint or collarbone... Don't let internet diagnose it as erectile dysfunction...

Doctors... Go

Any bets that the doctor will just send him home and tell him not to lift his arm above his head for a week? When I broke my scapula, they gave me a norco prescription and a sling and that was about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Thanks for all the replies. I did end up getting an x-ray after 4 weeks and turned out I had a fractured tuberosity, and also some minor damage to the tendons. Doctor at the time just said 'don't lift anything more than 5kg, it's already started healing so no sling required'. He didn't say 'don't ride your bike', and I didn't ask. Anyway, seeing an Osteo / strength and conditioning coach now for some muscle imbalances so I'll look at getting some treatment on the shoulder as still some residual soft tissue discomfort.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.