Game Changers - the documentary

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

What I struggle with when avoiding meat is getting enough calories. It's mostly when doing big mileage but it is a problem. At my size, doing consecutive 10 -12 hour days creates huge calorie demands (8000+) and there is only so much I can do with plant based fats. A lot of the vegan or vegitarian diet is too low in calories. And there is the need for variety. Ever tried to eat 5000 calories of bread, rice , grains etc. in a day? Not fun.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

mentok

by mentok

I do 20hrs a week on the bike and I have to get 5000cals a day to maintain weight. I don't have a drama getting it in interesting ways, all plant based whole foods. I think you need to enjoy certain types of food, but it's really not that hard. I eat a couple of sweet potatoes a day, add peanut butter to breakfast and dessert, eat plenty of oats, dried fruits, trail mix, lots of bananas. My main meal is a big beany salad for lunch. I don't really eat rice or pasta. If I'm trying to drop weight I skip the peanut butter, the dried fruits and the oats. Normally the breakdown is about 70% carbs, 10% protein and 20% fat. I don't struggle for muscle mass, in fact I have too much to be a decent climber.

If you hated beans or tofu, nuts, dried fruits it would be tough, but I eat everything so it works for me. I know people who have tried and failed because they can't stomach the beans, or they can't handle the total volume of fibre from eating starches, but for me, no dramas.

JCrider

by JCrider

If you want to get shredded then pick up Dr Gundry's Plant paradox book. I kept on losing weight so fast that was looking for ways to stabilize it(ate extra to nuts stop loss). Dropped from 170lbs to low 150's in couple of months. Had 6 pack abs but lost power on the bike as well.
Last year I had low levels of testosterone(tested) mostly likely from over biking, too much HIIT in gym and not recovering well (lack of quality sleep . I've been on NMN (search Dr. Sinclair on youtube etc) for 6 months or so and my energy levels are awesome and feel like in my 20's again (45 now).
I've also been experimenting with bpc-157 and tb500 peptide injections for recovery from old achilles and bursa injuriesIt seems to be working pretty well. ( Warning to UCI athletes: these might not be WADA approved but will be out of your blood in 12 hours) . The combo is also helping me with improvement in my deep sleep duration monitored via oura ring. I blame Ben Greenfield and his podcasts for all this improvement and nerding out here. :)

Going back to the whole vegan thing and the movie... I also cut out pretty much most of the animal products except for some sheep-buffalo cheese and wild salmon once in a awhile. Stopped buying chicken and red meat almost a year ago and this is before I saw the movie 2 weeks ago. I feel better and stronger. I got many PRs on strava this year then in the past. Well something is working but it is the combination of things and not just single change.

We've been brain washed by food marketing that we need protein all the time. THat is a total BS. Protein gets cycled in the body and need small amouts to replenish. Too much of it gets stored as fat. I get mine from pressure cooked lentils or beans mostly these days few times a week.
If your goal is to lose weight, cut out all the junk fast food, sugars(including fruit) and pasta/bread products. You'll be ripped in no time!
If you liked the game changers go watch cowspricay.

AeroObsessive

by AeroObsessive

Game Changes has helped to highlight some excellent points which I would like to share:

1) all nutritional documentaries should be utterly ignored on all levels.
2) diet advice is like the proverbial - everyone has one.
3) show me 10 world class cyclists and I'll show you 10 different diets. That in of itself should tell people something.
4) diet is the new religion, so eat like I do or forever be damned... heathens.
5) the plural of anecdote is not data.

AeroObsessive

by AeroObsessive

JCrider wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:28 am
If you want to get shredded then pick up Dr Gundry's Plant paradox book. I kept on losing weight so fast that was looking for ways to stabilize it(ate extra to nuts stop loss). Dropped from 170lbs to low 150's in couple of months. Had 6 pack abs but lost power on the bike as well.
Last year I had low levels of testosterone(tested) mostly likely from over biking, too much HIIT in gym and not recovering well (lack of quality sleep . I've been on NMN (search Dr. Sinclair on youtube etc) for 6 months or so and my energy levels are awesome and feel like in my 20's again (45 now).
I've also been experimenting with bpc-157 and tb500 peptide injections for recovery from old achilles and bursa injuriesIt seems to be working pretty well. ( Warning to UCI athletes: these might not be WADA approved but will be out of your blood in 12 hours) . The combo is also helping me with improvement in my deep sleep duration monitored via oura ring. I blame Ben Greenfield and his podcasts for all this improvement and nerding out here. :)

Going back to the whole vegan thing and the movie... I also cut out pretty much most of the animal products except for some sheep-buffalo cheese and wild salmon once in a awhile. Stopped buying chicken and red meat almost a year ago and this is before I saw the movie 2 weeks ago. I feel better and stronger. I got many PRs on strava this year then in the past. Well something is working but it is the combination of things and not just single change.

We've been brain washed by food marketing that we need protein all the time. THat is a total BS. Protein gets cycled in the body and need small amouts to replenish. Too much of it gets stored as fat. I get mine from pressure cooked lentils or beans mostly these days few times a week.
If your goal is to lose weight, cut out all the junk fast food, sugars(including fruit) and pasta/bread products. You'll be ripped in no time!
If you liked the game changers go watch cowspricay.
Back in the day I'd really go through this post...but for now I'll just settle for a : What. The. Actual. *f##k*?

I hope you're trolling because, well, that is some a-grade horse-shit you've used as bait 🙌

LouisN

by LouisN

Aero OCD :thumbup:

Louis :)

JCrider

by JCrider

AeroObsessive wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:38 pm
JCrider wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:28 am
If you want to get shredded then pick up Dr Gundry's Plant paradox book. ....
Back in the day I'd really go through this post...but for now I'll just settle for a : What. The. Actual. *f##k*?

I hope you're trolling because, well, that is some a-grade horse-shit you've used as bait 🙌
Its some good horse shit though right? :lol:

AeroObsessive

by AeroObsessive

^ throw in a reference to Noakes, Taubes and maybe some other quack like Harcombe and it would have been perfect woo.

JCrider

by JCrider

^^

Joking and all the quackery aside... NMN really works. alivebynature.com. (I don't get paid or have no relation. Just tried it out and been using it for 6 months. Takes 2 weeks to kick in. Feel free to research)

HShimada

by HShimada

I'm 100% plant based so I'd take my comment with a grain of salt BUT I'll say this.
It's REALLY hard to make a case against plant based diet. Too much meat is bad for you or too much animal product is bad for you is pretty common to hear but you don't hear that vs plant based diet. Just something to think about.

I found out that arguing for veganism turns more people away from it so I'll leave it there. I try to answer as best I can when I'm asked what I eat or is it hard or expensive or my favorite: "where do you get your protein bro" etc etc.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Joe Rogan had Chris Kresser and James Wilks on his podcast for a debate

https://youtu.be/s0zgNY_kqlI

Have a listen. Pretty interesting. Both parties had holes in their arguments. My conclusion is there's no right or wrong person in the debate.

AeroObsessive

by AeroObsessive

JCrider wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:23 am
^^

Joking and all the quackery aside... NMN really works. alivebynature.com. (I don't get paid or have no relation. Just tried it out and been using it for 6 months. Takes 2 weeks to kick in. Feel free to research)
Pretty much no clinical evidence to prove any of the claims. The plural of anecdote is not data. And there is no data. That may change.

AeroObsessive

by AeroObsessive

HShimada wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:19 am
I'm 100% plant based so I'd take my comment with a grain of salt BUT I'll say this.
It's REALLY hard to make a case against plant based diet. Too much meat is bad for you or too much animal product is bad for you is pretty common to hear but you don't hear that vs plant based diet. Just something to think about.

I found out that arguing for veganism turns more people away from it so I'll leave it there. I try to answer as best I can when I'm asked what I eat or is it hard or expensive or my favorite: "where do you get your protein bro" etc etc.
Define "plant based". And therein lies the problem. As obligate omnivores the range, types and quantities of food we can eat and be "healthy" is exceptionally wide. It is not a dichotomy between this food and this food. Just a giant swathe of grey that cannot (or should not) be narrowed to this or that. But food choices are the new religion, and people assign identity to it. Criticise a diet, and you criticise *me*.

HShimada

by HShimada

AeroObsessive wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:03 am
HShimada wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:19 am

Define "plant based". And therein lies the problem. As obligate omnivores the range, types and quantities of food we can eat and be "healthy" is exceptionally wide. It is not a dichotomy between this food and this food. Just a giant swathe of grey that cannot (or should not) be narrowed to this or that. But food choices are the new religion, and people assign identity to it. Criticise a diet, and you criticise *me*.
"Plant Based" only means "I don't eat any animal products"
For me it also means whole foods and no junk food like chips, oreos, peanut butter day in and day out. There's little "cheats" for everyone. You gotta live a little (have a serving size chips or a piece of chocolate couple times a week).

In any case I feel like if "2 sides" are getting in a conversation about this some things should be assumed. Like the fact that you're eating cleaner and not burgers / impossible burgers, icecream and chips every day.

Even then. Even if you eat the cleanest I feel like meat eating comes with a * which is "in moderation"
But when you're eating fruits salads and whole foods your only restriction is either none or calories because you're watching your weight. No big health threat to warn against otherwise.

That DOES tell me something about meat. But like you said, it's very personal how you interpret this. It made me go 100% plant based. Some might not care or read into it the same way. Which is why I find it counterproductive to argue that my way is better etc. I'm just here to say I perform my 100% with this diet and have 0 health problems. If you wanna find out more, I'm here to answer. That kind of approach.

by Weenie

LouisN

by LouisN

Amen :roll:

Louis :)