Game Changers - the documentary

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

g32ecs

by g32ecs

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:13 pm
First - I totally understand that this documentary is a heavily biased towards vegan/plant based or whatever you want to call it. I have no religious affilation with meat or plants. I don't have enough ethical concerns about animal farming to go stone cold vegan on the spot. I wear leather. Personally, I've long recognized that I probably don't eat enough plants and fiber and often rely on a big hunk of meat to create a meal.

My interest in this movie is purely sports performance based as well as health and longevity based.

Vegan vs. Plant Based - my understanding is that the plant based moniker refers to a whole food plant based diet. One could eat white bread, sugar, donuts and french fries and still be vegan. A plant based eater might eat some meat and they might wear leather shoes without animal ethical concerns.

Thanks for the Pez article. He sounds, at least, not biased. The article on the Keto site sounds like they feel threatened. Like I said, food is not a religion for me. It was curious that the article on the Pez site uses some of the exact same language as that on the Keto site.

I think I'm going to start digging through some of the studies mentioned in the film. I'm curious about the comments on epithelial function and the biochemical reactions with animal proteins mentioned in the film.

This is my same sentiment from top to bottom. I dont think I could quit eating meat, however, I'd like to experiment on my diet for performance gains.

I'm planning to have vegetable only days especially before my big ride days which are Saturdays. 3-4/wk would be doable. I've been busy with collecting vegetable based recipes to make things interesting.

Ive gained 25lbs since I stopped racing and I don't want to balloon out of control.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been reading various things on the topic. I think people often see positive results by going 'plant based' or vegan because:

1) they are giving up a lot of low nutrient, high calorie food (fast food, lunch meat, cheese, etc) in favor of nutrient dense, lower calorie foods.

2) increasing fiber which improves gut health, reduces inflamation, and promotes the production of short chain fatty acids. I think that some studies have suggested that SCFAs and certain gut bacteria fed by fiber can lead to better exercise performance.

3) with increased vegetable consumption you are most likely increasing nitric oxide levels. This has been shown to increase exercise performance (aka beet root juice).

4) removing milk and eggs which are potential allergens or inflammatory foods. This might not affect everybody who goes vegan but it probably affects some percentage.

5) if you increase fiber from the average western diet (20-25 grams) to 60-80-100 grams per day by eating tons of vegetables you will probably be losing weight. The fiber fills you up and satiates you so you can fill your belly more often on lower calorie foods.

I think one could still be plant based and consume meat as the side dish rather than the main course and still get all of the benefits. At that point though you are probably 90% vegan.

by Weenie

gurk700

by gurk700

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:34 pm
I think one could still be plant based and consume meat as the side dish rather than the main course and still get all of the benefits. At that point though you are probably 90% vegan.
Not to take this the environment, ethics etc route but why not go vegan at that point and feel even better about your choices? :)

AJS914

by AJS914

Maybe. I guess it depends on what makes one feel better.

Personally, I've been experiementing with more vegetarian dishes (beans, tofu, chickpeas) for the last two weeks. I might have lost a pound maybe and I haven't seen any dramatic changes but my diet was already very healthy, and vegetable heavy. I've still been using butter and maybe I'm not ready to take salmon off the table completely. I really have enjoyed the tofu dishes I've made. I had some steak the other night and didn't enjoy the way I used to in the past. Maybe my taste buds are adjusting?

Interestingly, my HRV score was on the high (good) side this morning after a hard ride yesterday. It would be super interesting if my HRV started trending higher after increasing vegetable intake.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

gurk700 wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
Not to take this the environment, ethics etc route but why not go vegan at that point and feel even better about your choices? :)
Because steak and bacon are delicious.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

sanrensho

by sanrensho

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:24 pm
Maybe. I guess it depends on what makes one feel better.

Personally, I've been experiementing with more vegetarian dishes (beans, tofu, chickpeas) for the last two weeks. I might have lost a pound maybe and I haven't seen any dramatic changes but my diet was already very healthy, and vegetable heavy. I've still been using butter
Try cutting out oils (and butter of course). Oils are processed and empty calories. You're much better off getting your fats through eating whole plant foods. Once you adjust to not cooking with it, the food tastes better too.

At 90% vegan, I think many people and athletes in particular would be wondering, "What performance gains/health benefits could I derive by converting that last 10% to plant-based?"

gurk700

by gurk700

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 pm
gurk700 wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

I'm sure you would be too if cooked right! You know.. steak and bacon are corpses at the end of the day. To each his own.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

gurk700 wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
gurk700 wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

I'm sure you would be too if cooked right! You know.. steak and bacon are corpses at the end of the day. To each his own.
Guess we should avoid the meals at the end of a hunting trip topic then...

Using Tapatalk

gurk700

by gurk700

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:54 am
gurk700 wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
gurk700 wrote: Not to take this the environment, ethics etc route but why not go vegan at that point and feel even better about your choices? :)

Guess we should avoid the meals at the end of a hunting trip topic then...

I know I will. Best of luck to you!

prebsy

by prebsy

robertbb wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 am
Shrike wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:19 pm
Seeing stuff like that puts me off 'communities' online. They seem to attract a large proportion of largely unhappy white adults who're looking for validation, and respond incredibly insecurely to anything which they perceive, often wrongly, might threaten their identity.
Weightweenies will miss you, dude :lol:
This might be the best post on WW.
Strava

Current Stable:
Specialized Allez Sprint Disc
Cervelo Aspero
Scott Spark 910 Contessa

silvalis

by silvalis

here's another analysis of the doco
https://www.biolayne.com/articles/resea ... -analysis/
Chasse patate

sanrensho

by sanrensho

silvalis wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:17 am
here's another analysis of the doco
https://www.biolayne.com/articles/resea ... -analysis/
And here's a debunk of the debunk, from a doctor with an actual clinical practice who has seen the benefits of a plant-based diet in hundred of patients. http://proteinaholic.com/response-to-la ... D0vXoI9Awg

robertbb

by robertbb

I'll reserve judgement until I see a debunk of the debunk of the debunk. It's the logical thing to do.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

robertbb wrote:I'll reserve judgement until I see a debunk of the debunk of the debunk. It's the logical thing to do.

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

robertbb

by robertbb

The missing piece of key data!