I've put on weight and don't know why

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

okimy

by okimy

I've been cycling for 2 years now and my weight has always been relatively steady around 64 kg. But lately it's gone up to around 66.5 kg and I don't understand why. I haven't changed my diet and trained as much as in summer, although now I'm on the turbo. It could be that I'm building up muscle (but why only after 2 years?), that my scale is off more than usual (it generally varies around 2 kg; last summer my weight was between 62 and 65 kg, now it's between 65 and 68) or that I've simply put on fat. Since I'm only 17 I reckon building up muscle is somewhat likely but I'm still interested in what you think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Don't worry about 2.5kg.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ha I gained that last Christmas and still got it. It was not muscle either

AJS914

by AJS914

If you are only 17 then you are still growing.

BitGid

by BitGid

Have you compared chest, weight, and hip measurements? Are your clothes feeling tight?

If the weight gain isn’t due to muscle mass and you want to reduce weight - and you mention eating more due to all the biking - you will need to change your meal plan.
But that doesn’t seem like the answer you want to hear.
Last edited by BitGid on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d36

by d36

If you want the full story you really need to get a dexa scan
I've done cheapo tests/scans/bmi calcs and they were way off

Couple things I picked up (used to be high 70s pre cycling now low 60ish)

Water weight is a real thing
Fitter you get the more muscle you gain (but also fat loss)
Riding in summer = major water loss means my weight can yoyo 1-2kg (40 degree celcious days)
High carb diet = more water retention
High level of fitness = more carb/energy storage
High volume = Rediculous appetite means its easy to overeat (i.e gotta be disciplined on recovery days/weeks)
Low body fat (say 6-7%) = Makes it possible to put on a kg or two literally overnight (survival mechanism imo)

okimy

by okimy

Thanks for the answers. My chest and hip measurements have stayed the same but I've decided that i'll try to adjust my diet anyway. I haven't really got a plan but for now I'm cutting out some sweets and will see what works as I go along. Getting a scan probably isn't worth it and I'll continue to work on my power and endurance.

MattMay

by MattMay

Wouldn’t happen to be getting taller would you? At 17 you’re still growing...up.

okimy

by okimy

MattMay wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm
Wouldn’t happen to be getting taller would you? At 17 you’re still growing...up.
Yeah I've checked that. Still 178cm, same as 1,5 years ago.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

If you just switched to the Turbo and you are sweating a lot, you may be just retaining water.

flying

by flying

10 seconds naked in front of a mirror will quickly tell you if you gained 2.5kg in muscle or fat :wink: 5.5lbs is a bit

LewisK

by LewisK

Check out this weeks cycling weekly, there is a good topic on indoor vs outdoor training. It did mention that when training indoors different muscles are used and you tend to use your quads more - this could lead to putting on a bit of muscle? Mind you, doubt you'd have put on over 2kg of muscle.

okimy

by okimy

LewisK wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:17 am
Check out this weeks cycling weekly, there is a good topic on indoor vs outdoor training. It did mention that when training indoors different muscles are used and you tend to use your quads more - this could lead to putting on a bit of muscle? Mind you, doubt you'd have put on over 2kg of muscle.
I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation. Putting on 2kg of quads seems a bit nuts, but I'm not just cycling. I do a lot of corework and tried out a climbing gym yesterday.

okimy

by okimy

Well, thanks for the answers everyone. After a week of training, a day of rest and an FTP test I'm back to my previous weight. I'm still wondering what kind of weight I put on (and lost now) but now I can at least stop worrying about losing it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

for me, that weight is a hefty shit after a curry night. Honestly, 2.5 kgs one one sample isnt a real "gain" or loss.