Shimano Cleat Pedal Power Meter

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RossLB

by RossLB

SuperSix2018 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:34 am
I have been searching non stop to no avail. Does anyone know of a shimano cleat based pedal power meter?
Ah, the holy grail! Many have sought ...
RTW wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:27 am
Genuine question, as I have never used SPD SL, but is the system so significantly different to Look Keo that it is possible to:

1. feel the difference when riding
2. Not get over that slight difference and forget about it within the first 1km of the ride (like when you use a bike with a slightly different width bar, massively noticible for 5 minutes, then quickly forgotten)
3. Have such a strong aversion to the KEO system as an SPD SL user?
I recently bought the Favero Assioma pedals, having forgotten why I stopped using Look pedals years ago. On the first ride, one of the cleats broke. The pedals were much harder to clip into - touch them and they start spinning. I had to replace the first set of cleats within a matter of weeks. They were noisy. They were hard to walk in. It reminded me why I hated Look pedals all those years ago and moved to Shimano. So I sold the Faveros and bought a Stages crank-based power meter, and am back with Shimano pedals, which is a great relief.

velolive

by velolive

Assioma to SPD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Speedman

by Speedman

velolive wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:37 am
Assioma to SPD
What a nice hack :thumbup:

pmprego

by pmprego

The question then becomes: when does the Shimano patent expires? When that happens the pedal based spd power meter will start to appear.

dcorn

by dcorn

I initially bought Powertap pedals to have the swappability. I was used to using Shimano pedals only.

First, Powertap uses a proprietary cleat that is ever so slightly different than a Look cleat. So I had to buy a few pairs to put on the couple pairs of shoes I had. And they wear out pretty quickly, which is annoying. Can't find them in a store, only online.

Then after riding in the pedals, there was a little play in them like the cleat wasn't fully sitting on the pedal platform, so I'd get slight movement with every pedal stroke. My feet never came out and it didn't affect my riding, but I could feel it and it drove me nuts.

I also learned very quickly that swapping pedals between bikes kinda sucks. Yes, it's just undoing a couple 'bolts', but I'd always get chain grease on me and almost stab myself with the big chainring.

At one point, I had a bit of side-to-side play in the spindle, then eventually the pedal just stopped working all together after I had them about a year. I must give PT credit, they took them back for warranty and I'm pretty sure sent me a brand new set of pedals and cleats. So that was a good time to sell them :)

I ended up just buying Power2Max cranks for both bikes and they have worked flawlessly. That also gave me the ability to go back to Shimano pedals, which was a really nice side effect.

Chiva

by Chiva

pmprego wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:49 am
The question then becomes: when does the Shimano patent expires? When that happens the pedal based spd power meter will start to appear.
The patent is expired.

pmprego

by pmprego

Chiva wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:30 am
pmprego wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:49 am
The patent is expired.
Just the spd version not the spd-sl

romanmoser

by romanmoser

It's in what 2021 2022 ?
In my memories something like that

Hurry up those who will developp this please :)