Garmin 530 v wahoo elemnt bolt

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SuperSix2018

by SuperSix2018

I currently run a Garmin 520 and was thinking of upgrading.

It’s either a Garmin 530 or switching over to a wahoo elemnt bolt.

Does anyone have experience with both for training and racing? I have read reviews on each but not much info when comparing. Wahoo on sale atm for $299.

Tia

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

I've used the Bolt and 520+ both a great deal. The Bolt was a solid competitor when it came out, I don't think it is competitive with the 520+, expecially the navigation features of the 520+ are significantly better. I don't know if there are any early issues with the 530 but I'd expect it has only widened the gap between Garmins of that size and the Bolt. I liked the Bolt and I don't have anything negative to say about it but even the 520+ was a step up and had improved on things that led me to try something besides Garmin in the first place.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

They are apples and oranges. Do you need turn by turn navigation? I don’t think the Bolt provides it unless you pay RideWithGps and use them to generate the TBT guidance. The 530 has a full map set and will generate TBT guidance. If you don’t use navigation then the 520 will give you much of the 530’s feature set.

I went from a 520 to 830 primarily because I wanted TBT navigation. I’ve been using Strava to create routes and upload routes seamlessly using the Strava route app. on the 830. All done wirelessly. No more connecting the 520 to the PC via USB to copy a route. The navigation on the 830 is fantastic. The ClimbPro feature is also very cool. Lastly the battery life on the 830 is amazing. I did a four hour ride and the battery was at 87% at the finish. I’d recommend the 530; or even the 830 if you plan on using navigation a lot as the touchscreen will be much more suitable for navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperSix2018

by SuperSix2018

Thanks for all the replies. I won’t be using it for navigation at all. Purely for strava, and to display stats and connect to sensors.
Would like to be able to upload workouts to it to follow as well.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you don't use navigation then the 520 will suit your needs. There's no reason to upgrade. The 530/830 has ClimbPro which I really like. But for ClimbPro to work you must load a route first so that the GPS can calculate all of the anticipated climbs. Eventually Garmin will implement ClimbPro similar to the Strava live segments but that will come later. There are also loads of new training tools on the 530/830 but I don't use any of them.

I never really used navigation until recently. Now whenever I'm in a new area I design or copy a route online and then load it to Strava routes. It makes riding in a new/unfamiliar area a whole new experience.

mentok

by mentok

520 with pre made routes (like using Strava routes) is perfectly fine so long as you have a little bit of awareness. You don't get spoonfed the route with tbt instructions, but you do have a bread crumb trail to follow.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I find the breadcrumb method almost impossible to use when I'm riding at speed. For my riding style I like to put my mind into riding my bike and let the GPS alert me when a turn is coming up. Also I find the 520 map update is very slow and inaccurate, not to mention very hard to see on the small screen. The 530/830 is at another level when it comes to map update speed and accuracy. With that said I don't use navigation everyday so for some the 520 is a good choice.

3Pio

by 3Pio

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:38 am
I find the breadcrumb method almost impossible to use when I'm riding at speed. For my riding style I like to put my mind into riding my bike and let the GPS alert me when a turn is coming up. Also I find the 520 map update is very slow and inaccurate, not to mention very hard to see on the small screen. The 530/830 is at another level when it comes to map update speed and accuracy. With that said I don't use navigation everyday so for some the 520 is a good choice.
I was using Edge 500 with breadcrumb method riding solo in foreign country's.. While not ideal, it was usefull, and not big problems to find the way.. The only problem i had with that method, was when there was a crossroad with many ways, so sometimes took some effort until i find the real one..

Using Garmin Edge 520 in last three years, and findind the route following very well.. (Much Better then Breadcrumb method).. Im using OSM Maps..

I will update to Edge 530 by now, but i read from many users who bought it, that there is buttons problems.. So decide to wait, and to see more reports after a while..

What i used a lot on Edge 500 and now on 520 , is Elevation Profile screen.. Beside ClimbPro on 530/830, is there still classic Elevation profile (like on Garmin Edge 520 ( u can see elevation like 2 km in front of u), or even better if it's like Edge 500 (u can zoom In/Out as much as u like, not just 2 km )?

And also wondering why u dont use new training tools? (one of the reason i want to upgrade my Edge 520 are them).. Dont suit ur riding style, or u think it's just marketing?

And how u find touch screen on Edge 830? When i checked last time (Garmin 510 and 820 it was terrible).. I read that they done properly on 830, but how is in real ride scenario? (im swipe ing screens often while i ride, especially on climbs, which also mean wet fingers from sweat and same question while raining if u had that kind of experience for now... Wondering how full finger gloves will work (not having chance to check in real, since not a single 830 on stock)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don't race nor do I have any specific goals. I ride for pleasure hence there's no need to train and recover like a racer. Yes there's an elevation screen although the elevation profile is only relevent if you are riding on a loaded route. Without a route the GPS has no idea on how to draw an elevation profile. The button issue on the 530 was the result of a bad batch. I think it's been fixed so if you buy one now you'll be fine. I really like the touchscreen on my 830 although some prefer buttons on their GPS. One small feature that I like on the 530/830 is the ambient light sensor. I do night rides (leaving before sunset, and finish after sunset). The 830 will automatically turn on the backlight when it gets dark. I haven't ridden inside a tunnel yet but it'll work there as well. This feature along with many other small improvements make the 830 a worthy upgrade to the 520.

3Pio

by 3Pio

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 am
I don't race nor do I have any specific goals. I ride for pleasure hence there's no need to train and recover like a racer. Yes there's an elevation screen although the elevation profile is only relevent if you are riding on a loaded route. Without a route the GPS has no idea on how to draw an elevation profile. The button issue on the 530 was the result of a bad batch. I think it's been fixed so if you buy one now you'll be fine. I really like the touchscreen on my 830 although some prefer buttons on their GPS. One small feature that I like on the 530/830 is the ambient light sensor. I do night rides (leaving before sunset, and finish after sunset). The 830 will automatically turn on the backlight when it gets dark. I haven't ridden inside a tunnel yet but it'll work there as well. This feature along with many other small improvements make the 830 a worthy upgrade to the 520.
Regarding elevation profile on 520 and on 500, no needed to load the route, and it's working even when not internet connected.. I guess it's getting some GPS Datas from the surrounding or something... So before the ride i never load the route to be able to see that profile.. Of course there is sometimes mistakes (showing peaks that are not on the way, but in surrounding), but most of the time Elevation profile work perfect.. Also when i ride a hill that i dont know, based on elevation profile i have idea how much more climbing left....

So if this elevation profile is missing on 530/830, and MUST route to be loaded to work, for me will be big minus... So i'll be very thankfull if u can check this and compare to 520...

Im not racing either, but found following TSS, Resting heart rate, traning load etc, help me to plan my rides and to dont go in overtraining as i was doing 2 years ago....

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

On the 530/830 there’s an elevation page. But on one ride without having a route pre-loaded, I see a hill on the elevation page but the road that I’m riding on is flat and it ends at a ‘T’ intersection. So the data I see must be garbage. On the 520, without having a route preloaded, how does the GPS know the elevation profile without knowing your route? Or does it assume you will stay on the same road and not turn? And once you make a turn does the elevation profile change in real-time?

3Pio

by 3Pio

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 pm
On the 530/830 there’s an elevation page. But on one ride without having a route pre-loaded, I see a hill on the elevation page but the road that I’m riding on is flat and it ends at a ‘T’ intersection. So the data I see must be garbage. On the 520, without having a route preloaded, how does the GPS know the elevation profile without knowing your route? Or does it assume you will stay on the same road and not turn? And once you make a turn does the elevation profile change in real-time?

I never analyzed too much since it's working, but u guess ur assumption is correct.. Or maybe just calculate GPS points from the surrounding and u know what is happening in front of (2 km in front of u on Edge 520).. In 99% of ridings this seem to be usefull and correct, and i know what is happening in front of me..

How im doing that:

- Before the ride i just see the highest peak alttitude

- When the climb start i see the elevation profile on the hill

Since i know the peak of the climb altitude i have idea how much more i need to climb (in 99% elevation profile is correct)

If u want i can make a photo of the screen in real time riding and it will be more clear... But i used and using this option a lot on both of my Edge 500 and 520...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks. No pic is necessary. I will put my 830 on the elevation page on my next ride and see if it works.

3Pio

by 3Pio

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm
Thanks. No pic is necessary. I will put my 830 on the elevation page on my next ride and see if it works.

I'll appreciate a lot if u can test this option a bit more.. It's really really usefull and i really use it a lot on my rides (often on the middle of climb i switch between this elevation profile page and regular page)
Last edited by 3Pio on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Will do but my next ride is more than two weeks away. I just had an ankle surgery last week and I need at least two more weeks of healing.